Irish Army 25 Pounders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Army 25 Pounders

I am looking for some help from the 'army' of viewers out there. Can anyone point me in to the direction of some pictures and/or articles of Irish 25 Pounders in recent action. I need this as one of my mates here in Australia sincerely believes that the Irish Army do not use them.

Whilst I am at it can anyone nominate the units that still have the 25 Pounders as I am sure that this will back up the 'debate'

if it was the unit that utilises the quarter pounder the most

that has to be 12 Bn

them lads always have on in theri hand
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

please see http://www.1bderdf.com/31far.htm for the gallery of the 31far, second page of gallery, top row of pictures second from the left, tis a 25pdr being fired
      courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Go to http://www.31far.com
        Have a look in Gallery 1, pages 7,8 and 9.
        They were most recently fired last October.
        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

2 FAR (PDF regiment) have some for ceremonial use, for gun salutes.

Comment

Thanks for that guys... I think the whole 31st Field Artillery website 'blew' him away. Debate over with the required result. Just a further question do all reserve gunners get tranied on both the 25 pounders and L118's. Also the 25 pounders on hand where do they originate.... are they from guns bought by the Irish goverment during the 1940's.

Thanks

Comment

ball hop only info ,
              We were told that the 25's were collected at the border from the Brits sometime during WWII.
              Some of the guns when paintwork got chipped revealed the desert paint(sort of yellow colour)so we assumed they had been fired in Africa. Romour was we had bought some guns from Canada also after WWII.

However any of the gun history sheets that I saw only showed the first proof rounds fired by the Royal Ordnance

It is a giggle when you tell a Gunner in any army that we still fire them .
              Most of them eye open wide and akll ask for an invite to come over and see them .

The 25pr is prob the best field gun howitzer made.

In Australia just about every RSL club has either an 25pr or an L60 as an ornament outside the front door so I look at them fondly and rem other days in the Glen
              Last edited by Gunner Who?; 3 June 2007, 17:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner Who? View Post
                ball hop only info ,
                We were told that the 25's were collected at the border from the Brits sometime during WWII.
                Some of the guns when paintwork got chipped revealed the desert paint(sort of yellow colour)so we assumed they had been fired in Africa. Romour was we had bought some guns from Canada also after WWII.
                An article that I read from when the 105s were purchased put the purchase of the 25 Pdrs in 1948, with 36 guns being bought (open to correction on that).

There is indeed yellow paint visible, particularly on the firing platforms of some guns. I've been told that some guns were fired in the Battle of El Alamein, but I've never seen the gun history sheets, so I don't know how true that is.

Some guns are of Canadian manufacture, but that does not necessarily mean that they were used by the Canadians.

Comment

Thanks for the info... would be really interesting to know if they had been used in WWII. Anyone with further info

Comment

hi there
                    Perhaps the guns were rebarrelled and overhauled by the manufacturer before being shipped to Ireland, hence no "War" history on them.
                    regards
                    GttC

Comment

Working...
                    X