• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    apod
    Commander in Chief

• apod
    replied
    All that was required on the Standard NCO course is that you could pass TOETs on the weapon(handling and sub-cal) during the pre course tests.You also had to have fired the sub-cal within 12 months of the begining of the course.

Leave a comment:

• RoyalGreenJacket
    Commander in Chief

• RoyalGreenJacket
    replied
    lol.

i guess i can see some logic in it. if you haven't yet fired it in your career - then you will want to have it under your belt as a SNCO so i guess making it par for the course sorts that out.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    C/S

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi all,
    A friend of mine, to be allowed to enter his Sgt's Course, was required to have fired the real SRAAW, not the pretend one.Go to Glen, make loud bang, you're in.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• BANDIT
    Banned User

• BANDIT
    replied
    In the old days 70s era far as I remember u had to have fired the 84 before u went on an NCOs course. So a half dozen who were about to be sent on an NCOs course were sent to the glen from the border for a day to fire the 84

Leave a comment:

• RoyalGreenJacket
    Commander in Chief

• RoyalGreenJacket
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm told that firing the SRAAW is a requirement of a Sergeant's course in the PDF. Even for Donners.
    regards
    GttC
    why would a Sergeant need to fire a SRAAW? that's what his Riflemen are for!

they carry it - they fire it!

Leave a comment:

• WES
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    firing the SRAAW
    Sorry, I should have RTFP

Actually firing the weapon wasn't a requirement. Having the course completed, after which you would fire the sub-calibre, was.

Mea Culpa.

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    Teuton Foot Soldier

• ZULU
    replied
    Probably Sub Calibre and DIRT simulation????

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief

• hptmurphy
    replied
    At 9k a pop...I reckon even the COs dosen't require it for qualification.

Leave a comment:

• WES
    replied
    It used to be one of the requirements in order to get on a standard course. Things may have changed since I was in.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    C/S

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    Hi all,
    I'm told that firing the SRAAW is a requirement of a Sergeant's course in the PDF. Even for Donners.
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    Teuton Foot Soldier

• ZULU
    replied
    NLAW from SAAB

Leave a comment:

• irishrgr
    Corporal

• irishrgr
    replied
    In reference to the pre-po ammo above, expat007 is correct. When I deployed in 2003, we fired .50 cal ammo that had been made in 1944 and repacked in 1963!!!!!!!!! It worked fine, it was just weird to think we were shooting ammo made for WWII. I guess if stored properly, it'll keep. We too had a few of the LAW's and found them to be an excellent weapon against caves, builings, etc. Small, easy to carry and bloody useful. I'd like to see them issued back out again.........A

Leave a comment:

• ex pat 007
    airborne daddy

• ex pat 007
    replied
    Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
    pre-po'd = pre-positioned?
    yep

Leave a comment:

• Komsomol
    Moderated

• Komsomol
    replied
    Originally posted by irishrgr View Post
    Ahhhhh, memories, takes me back to the earlier days of my career at Ft Benning. Steps for everything "you....don't get ahead" and lugging the AT4 around the place. You don't get to fire it normally, usually just a 9mm sub-calibre adoptor which replicates the recoil. It doesn't have the bang/woosh of the real ones though. Good times.
    A

We normally fire the sub-calibre here in the irish defence forces for basic as well. Has a back blast simulator which does what it says on the tin, though how would i compare.

Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
    A few of our recruits were lucky enough to fire the warshots.

NTM
    If you listen very carefully you can just about make out the drill instructor in the video saying that the two best recruits will fire warshots at the end of the AT-4 training.

Leave a comment:

• FMolloy
    King Monkey

• FMolloy
    replied
    pre-po'd = pre-positioned?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X