• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blisters

Blisters (of the foot!)

How do YOU prevent them from occuring?

Regards etc.

Walk on your hands, use a wheel chair or cut them off?

What you do is up to you, glad to be of help :p

Comment

blisters

Try and keep your feet dry plenty of foot powder is good. But never had a blister myself so there you go.
      Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance.

Comment

Blisters...

1. Don't go out on the ground with boots which have not been
        "broken in", i.e; they haven't moulded to the contours of your
        foot/ankle. This applies to NEW boots

2. Wear suitable socks - those made mainly from synthetic materials will
        tear the feet off ya

3. Wash feet daily, apply foot powder liberally after drying

4. Goes without saying to change the socks daily too!!!
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Do NOT be liberal in your application of foot powder. I'm talking about when road marching/ruck marching or whatever you call it nowadays. If you apply too much talc. it will clump and form little lumps which will tear up your little tootsies. Wear proper fitting, broken-in boots, change your socks often, etc.

Some people swear by the high speed gear, fancy insoles, fancy socks(Thorlo's are supposed to be good), etc. I never bother with any of that stuff. Just pull on your boots and start rucking!!!!

I might invest in some new boots though. Check out www.wellco.com and their TuffKushion line. They are getting some good reviews over here in the US, don't know whether the "authorities" will they let you wear them in Irish DF.
          No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

The best thing to do is when you get a new issue of boots, or shoes break them in before going out to the field. The easiest thing you can do is keep your feet dry with dry socks. Got a long road march? Easy when you stop change socks and put the dirty or wet ones on your shoulders under your LBE (Load Bering Equipment, not sure if you call it the same) or across the back of your neck (weather permitting.) Few breaks later trade them in again with the ones on your feet and you good to go. This way you only have to hump one pare of extra socks on a march or while you’re in the field. Foot powder is also an option, you can even make a combination of the two.

Comment

A tip I heard many years back,and used to very good effect later,was to rub methylated spirits into your feet regularly. It toughens the skin where is supposed to be tough,and prevents any number of infections/athletes foot etc at the same time.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

clean feet

Apply foot powder (not Talc because it ends up like porridge after a k or two.)

Put on a tin pair of socks

Put on a pair of heavy duty socks (1000 mile socks is the preference)

Apply more foot powder to the inside of the well broken in boot.

Put on boot and remember to change socks atleast once every 12 hours or so.

A good tip is to bring a bag of foot powder on the ground so you can stick your feet in. This is to stop the baddies from knowing where you are. Applying powder from its usual plastic tube tends to make it go everywhere.

Anyway, that was thaught to me by the boys heading to East Timor

Comment

RE: Strummer

Strummer, if you read my post, it said:

3. Wash feet daily, apply foot powder liberally after drying

I did NOT say use talc, as Eldavido has pointed out, as I am aware
                  that it is akin to putting sand into your socks, and putting them back on,
                  or as you said yourself.... "it will clump and form little lumps which will tear up your little tootsies"

Forgot about the bag of foot powder for out on the ground, I' ve heard
                  that one before too, Eldavido...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

There are two theories on foot powder (proper), one is that it cools your feet a keeps bacterial activity under control, the other is that it stops your feet from breathing and creates all sorts of problems, and that the best way to keep bacteria under control is wash your feet at the assigned time on the day, to wear clean appropriate socks and fill your boots with clean water for a 24hr soak every couple of months.
                    I'd tend to go with the latter, and its served me well in both walks of life.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

change your socks at least twice a day , dry with a towel / wash them if possiable ,
                      use a sports sock and powder and then put an issue sock
                      blisters are caused by friction and moisture so make sure your boot fits right and keep the laces tight if you have a blister put a plaster on it
                      the old issue boots are crap and do not breathe in the summer causeing movement and discomfort
                      "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Change you socks twice a day? Thats a lot of laundry to go through, there are reasons for there only being one foot inspection a day.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

i never said wash the socks just dry them out ! 2 pair should do for a couple of days
                          "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Clean dry feet and well broken boots that is the only way blisters will not occur, change socks every day, wash them every day and use foot powder
                            Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                            http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Wear a thin pair of socks inside a thick pair of socks or use surgical tape on the areas of your feet that are likely to give you problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X