Joining with Criminal Record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining with Criminal Record?

I'm 21 at the moment and really thinking about joining up.

In the entry requirements it mentions being of good character and am just wondering what that actually means. I got into some bother 3 years ago and got 3 months in St. Pat's. Haven't been in any trouble since but really think I need to do something different now. I know I'd probably have to go through extra shit to get in because of this but am just seeing if there is any chance?

I'm 22 soon enough - is this a bit older than most for joining up and is that a problem?

Thanks

Sorry Dude.. a slight mister meaner yeah like spending a night in a cell for being drunk and disorderly but 3 months..not a chance..

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news..

Comment

Originally posted by SCol View Post
      I'm 21 at the moment and really thinking about joining up.

In the entry requirements it mentions being of good character and am just wondering what that actually means. I got into some bother 3 years ago and got 3 months in St. Pat's.
      If you've got a criminal record the DF doesn't need you.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      Originally posted by hedgehog
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

from military.ie

Defence Forces personnel lead a "Life less Ordinary". All aspects of military life are varied and for each member of the Force each day may bring a new challenge.

CIRCUMSTANCES WHICH WOULD MAKE A PERSON INELIGIBLE FOR ENLISTMENT IN THE ARMY

A person discharged from the Defence Forces (Permanent or Reserve) or the Military, Naval, Police or Air Services of any other country or state because of misconduct or as a result of being found to be medically unfit. A person belonging to the Permanent Defence Forces or Garda Síochána, or a person belonging to the Military, Naval, Police or Air Services of any other country (the recruiting centre can advise further on this matter). A person convicted by a civil court of a serious offence. A person in receipt of a disability pension. An apprentice (the recruiting centre can advise further on this matter)
        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post
          The rule states A person convicted by a civil court of a serious offence, but what was the offence.

Comment

OK - I didn't cop that before.

It was assault causing harm - basically a fight that went too far. I suppose that does count as serious but I was just checking.

But as I said it was over 3 years ago and I haven't been in any trouble since.

Comment

It was assault causing harm - basically a fight that went too far. I suppose that does count as serious but I was just checking.

Was you charged for Actual or grevious

Comment

A ‘serious offence’ in turn means an offence for which a person may be punished by imprisonment for a term of four years or more.

Comment

best bet to ring your local manpower office and ask directly!
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Well, part of me is saying "it sounds like you learned your lesson - good luck". The other part is saying "welcome to your actions having consequences".

Interestingly, if FG had had their way, you might have gotten boot camp instead of 3 months in St. Pats...
                    Meh.

Comment

Maybe I have a chance so. I will find out - just thought I'd ask here first.

Heard that thing about boot camps too. I was a muppet back then and would have hated that but it's probably an OK idea. Would have taken that over the 3 months though.

Comment

Fair play to him for having the 'balls' to come clean! No harm in asking. Good luck to him, I say.

Comment

Having done recruits in Spike Island I think three months in St Pats might be a better preparation than the Leaving Cert. Hope you get in.

Comment

Originally posted by moonstomper View Post
                            Having done recruits in Spike Island I think three months in St Pats might be a better preparation than the Leaving Cert. Hope you get in.
                            All different now. Its the cuddly friendly happy days army.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

You can always join the Brits, however you might have to wait a while for your conviction to be considered spent.

Comment

Working...
                              X