No announcement yet.

Ballymullen Barracks Tralee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of years back the was a report of an infestaion of fleas or lice in the camp by a female medic.

All the clothing,issue and other wise, and bed linen in the camp had to taken away and deloused, disnfected, cleaned..whatever and the whole camp were issue tracksuits..all though no form of infestation was ever found.

It was 'alledged' that the person in question had imported her own little travelling circus in to the camp!

About 1999 if I rememeber correctly...made the papers at the time.

If I'm not mistaken there was also a conversion course for the Steyr run the same week.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 16 July 2007, 13:57.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

You cant blame the medics on it all. We were there in 96 and the stand to room was flea infested.
      Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Last edited by medivac 04; 12 July 2007, 12:29.
        I maintain the Irish Defence Forces most deadly weapon - its people

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          A couple of years back the was a report of an infestaion of fleas or lice in the camp by a female medic.

All the clothing,issue and other wise, and bed linen in the camp had to taken away and deloused, disnfected, cleaned..whatever and the whole camp were issue tracksuits..all though no form of infestation was ever found.

It was uspected that the person in question had imported her own little travelling circus in to the camp!

About 1999 if I rememeber correctly...made the papers at the time.

If I'm not mistaken there was also a conversion course for the Steyr run the same week.
          I think that was 2001. I was on such said "Flea" Camp. Could have been others though. Our one arose from reports from females that they were being bitten by "Fleas". Although no males reported it. All females were moved into male billets (Huts 1-4) and Males were accomodated in Slieve Mish and other buildings.

Had to laugh when their civilian clothing came back from the cleaners. I mean I know thongs are small - but these came back smaller than barbie clothes LOL

Turned out that the "flea" bites were midgie bites from the range the previous day. Ah the joys of thick skin!!
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Remember something similar in Kilbride around 2003. Camp gates closed due to "scabies" (AKA poison ivy).

Comment

ARMY FLEES FLEAS - Daily Mirror September 7, 2000

Barry Roche

Girls told to retreat and strip

AN Irish girls' Army base has been invaded - by a major force of FLEAS!

Sixty female FCA recruits had to EVACUATE their barracks, STRIP and then have their clothing FUMIGATED.

Now top brass have had to order new knickers for all 60 young women from a local store.

The recruits had just moved into Ballymullen Barracks in Tralee, Co Kerry, when one of them reported feeling ill.

Local GP Dr Uwe Hild diagnosed that the woman had been bitten by fleas at the barracks. A further four female recruits billeted in the same block in the 200-year-old barracks later report similar symptoms.

All five were treated by Dr Hild as the Army evacuated the block and launched a full-scale attack on the invading fleas.

All the recruits' bedlinen and clothing - right down to their undies - were handed over for fumigation to eradicate the problem.

New undies were ordered from a store in Tralee and tracksuits were brought in from Sarsfields Barracks in Limerick while the uniforms were dry-cleaned in Tralee.

The recruits - all of them in their late teens - are members of the FCA 15th Infantry Battalion drawn from Co Kerry.

Ballymullen is used as a training centre by the FCA as well as a transit station by the Permanent Defence Forces in Munster.

EXPERTS

An Army spokesman confirmed that the block had been evacuated and fumigated by experts on Tuesday night.

He said: "This was a regrettable but thankfully isolated incident, though it can be traumatic for the individuals involved."

All the girl soldiers from the affected block have now been rehoused in alternative accommodation at Ballymullen Barracks.

September 7, 2000
              "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
              Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

I was there for my first camp, the place is an absolute s*it hole!. I think everyone was glad to get out of there by the end of the week.
                I dont have an alcohol problem, im just a social butterfly

Comment

the quality

The quality of the reporting amazes me ....An Irish girls army base....oh my god!!!

Comment

Ah its not that bad! The showers up behind the cook house are much better than the portapoop and the huts are fine if your tidy. Hey beats knee deep in mud and mosies in the woods!!
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Thanks for the clarification ZULU, the reason I brought the medics into the equation was one particular female medic was highly instrumental in the whole affair and claimed she was bitten by some insect..others opinions were that she had imported the infestation...I'll leave the hows and whys to peoples imaginations....for once.
                      Last edited by hptmurphy; 9 July 2007, 22:17.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

hahahaha. Medics - They're all filthy!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post

Is it true that the CO had you all in and lights out for 23.59?
                          He tried to have us all in for that time....... But it didn't work

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                            hahahaha. Medics - They're all filthy!!!!!!
                            Only in a good way zulu
                            I dont have an alcohol problem, im just a social butterfly

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                              He tried to have us all in for that time....... But it didn't work
                              It didn't work as in there was a few old sweats that did their usual stunt and extended their time or basically everyone ignored the order?
                              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Spent a week there.

Shithole.
                                To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Working...
                                X