Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These days it's Horans.

Horan by name etc...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cosantor View Post
      ahhh when the Brandon hotel's nite club was the place to be.........many many good nights!!!
      Good old Spirals

I always did wonder why they did away with quite a busy club.

Comment

• Originally posted by pmtts View Post
        Good old Spirals

I always did wonder why they did away with quite a busy club.
        I think it was a condition if they wanted to incerase their star rating.

Comment

• and a Cadre NCO was the DJ there
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Ballymullen back in its glory days

And its twin in Kilkenny

Last edited by ODIN; 11 August 2009, 21:49.
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Bloody hell, sure doesn't look like that now!
              "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                Ballymullen back in its glory days

This is what is left of the original Block. Everything west of the arch was burnt down by the occupying Anti Treaty Forces when their commander learnt the Free State forces had landed at Fenit. However the burning had to cease when he discovered some of his men were still asleep upstairs in one of the blocks.

Just visible here is what used to be the gable end of the west facing block in Odins Photo. Both this building, and the other blocks, were still standing, if overgrown and in ruins, when photos were taken of a Reserve Cavalry unit preparing to depart on exercise in 1958. These photos can be seen in Karl Martin's book about irish Army vehicles.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by luchi View Post
                  Actually it was an infantry NCO that told me that while I was on a detail.

The exact quote was

"Don't f***ing think just do. You Cpl me Sgt. You are paid from the F***ing neck down. When I want you to think I will F***ing tell you what to think"

I suppose at least he didn't mention that he was PDF and I only RDF.
                  This particular Sgt wasn't getting overheated because of a vehicle pedal, perchance... ?
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Would this be when a RDF PA officer and assorted types stood idelly while a driver was abused for refusing to drive a faulty vehicle and then said Sgt came back and tried to apologise.
                    I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                    Who is number 1?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                      Would this be when a RDF PA officer and assorted types stood idelly while a driver was abused for refusing to drive a faulty vehicle and then said Sgt came back and tried to apologise.
                      That's what I was getting at, yes....
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Really. Cos this year in tralee it was discovered that apparently PA's have a problem with two females leaving barracks in a vehicle with no man about to protect them.

I love ballymullen bks. It has a great history it has shit facillities and accomodation but you find ways to improve your lot if your resourcefull enough. The biggest problem is that to go on the ground you have a bit to travel unlike killworth where you just cross the road. Other than that its fine. Except for the grub. That always was, still is, and prob always will be Shite.
                        Last edited by happenin; 27 August 2009, 00:30. Reason: meh
                        Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                        Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                        do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

• the pictures are fairly unique in that they are lacking in one thing-

usually when you look out any window there at any time

you can always always see some bird doing the walk of shame

trying to get out of the camp after being pole axed by one of the lads
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• QUOTE=Goldie fish;264172] Originally posted by Goldie fish

The above photo posted by Goldie fish revived old memories for me, albeit they are now hazy memories.

The attached family photo of myself is now about 72 years old. It is marked on back "Ballymullen Barracks 1937. It would appear in that era the wooden billets were painted with possibly wood preservative such as creosote. My father former Munster Fusiliers, L/Corp. Timothy Sullivan 9600, in civilian life was manager of various Military Canteens during period 1928-1937.

I have an old reference written for my father from a Capt. Thomas Martyn, Officer Commanding Ballymullen Barracks, dated 6th December 1928.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballymullen Barracks 1937.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	695696

Corkman.

Comment

• thanks for that

We (PDF) used it for our summer camps and base for mountaineering courses
                              The photo brought back many happy memories
                              Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X