No announcement yet.

Debate on Fitness & how ITs should be introduced for RDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Is there any RDF units out there that do their Annual IT's as part of their training?

It would be fairly easy to get the lot done over two weeks if you did parts 1 and 2 one week and part three the week after. Or at camp it could be done in two mornings. easy peasy.

I reckon if an RDF unit asked nicely enough they would be able to get a few PTI's to give up some of their free time to supervise IT's if ye were willing to do it yerselves. Or bus everyone down to the DFTC gym and get it done there. I reckon the lads there would be more than happy to help if i know them at all.

Most RDF guys that i have seen attempt the IT's have breezed through them. But then again again there are the other 95% who wouldn't even attempt it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
      Question: Is there any RDF units out there that do their Annual IT's as part of their training?
      There are no annual IT's for the RDF. Only needed for courses that require it. PNCO, YO, any PDF course the RDF are lucky enough to get a place on.

It would be fairly easy to get the lot done over two weeks if you did parts 1 and 2 one week and part three the week after. Or at camp it could be done in two mornings. easy peasy.
      All it takes is a PTI/BPEO to get it doen in two mornings. I agree. It is that simple.

I reckon if an RDF unit asked nicely enough they would be able to get a few PTI's to give up some of their free time to supervise IT's if ye were willing to do it yerselves. Or bus everyone down to the DFTC gym and get it done there. I reckon the lads there would be more than happy to help if i know them at all.
      Our unit has been looking for PTI's to help supervise trg for the past 3 years. It started off well, with Circuit training before weekday parades. It fell apart after we couldn't get access to the gym out side of 9-5 for a long time. It has recently picked up with having access to the Gym for changing rooms/showers after An Cos 10k block training, and having a recently qualified RDF PTL and Ex PDF PTS in our unit, means that the physical aspect of our training has uped a few notches.

Most RDF guys that i have seen attempt the IT's have breezed through them. But then again again there are the other 95% who wouldn't even attempt it.
      The IT's are in no way difficult. Grade 3 is almost laughable as to what a healthy 17-26 year old should be able to do. But regretably this is not the case today.

The only thing holding the IT's being brought in in my opinion is the wierd need to have a medical done by DF.

It is so easy to carry out IT's at the start of the training year over a weekend training. or two field days. IMO opinion it should be done in one go. Press-ups, sit-ups, run - march. Done dusted.

Although, a realistic progressive annual fitness test would be what I would campaign for.
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• I think compulsary fitness tests could be the very easy way of slimming down (no pun intended) the numbers in the RDF based on An Bord Snip Nua recommendations.

I wouldn't have a problem with a basic fitness level being a definitive requirement ot be in the RDF. And I don't care for that argument of "all the people who would fail would be the experienced leaders etc, etc" because at the end of the day, you are in a miltary organisation and you should be fit.

I am amazed at the poor level of fitness of the majority of people in my unit alone. And it seems to be the case in every other unit from what I have heard.
        Personal fitness is your perogative and its unfair on people in the organisation who are fit, to have to be kept back because other people are not up to a reasonable standard of fitness.
        And I mean those people who are 20 and can't even run because of the smokes.
        That is self-inflicted, and its tough brown stuff on them.

I think that the fitness should be conducted every year, and should be considered as part of the requirement for grat.
        And people who fail should be given a second chance, and then after that told "thanks but no thanks". With an allowance for someone recpovering from injury or who had a baby.
        But they should still be getting the fitness test done at some stage prior to the next annual FTT.

And there should be no hiding behind rank for people on this issue either.
        Shape up or ship out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor
          Defence Forces urged to help schools

EITHNE DONNELLAN Health Correspondent

THE DEFENCE Forces could make a significant contribution to addressing the problem of obesity among young people by working with schools to improve fitness levels among students, an Oireachtas committee was told yesterday.

Dr Noel Richardson, a retired member of the Defence Forces and a trained PE teacher who now works at the Carlow Institute of Technology, told the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Justice, Equality, Defence and Women’s Rights that the majority of school children in Ireland were not meeting the recommended guidelines of 60 minutes physical activity a day.

He said at primary level, less than one in five children (19 per cent) are meeting the guidelines and at second level the figure is even lower at 12 per cent.

Furthermore, he said half of primary school principals and 42 per cent of post-primary principals in a recent study reported their sporting facilities were not adequate.

The Defence Forces, which he said were a rich source of expertise in terms of teachers, instructors and coaches as well as facilities like swimming pools and gyms and equipment could be used to help fill some of these glaring gaps.

In addition, he said due to the state of the public finances the onus would be on schools to use resources already in their communities and the Defence Forces could provide these, while at the same time building fitness and confidence levels among students.

This was already being done by defence forces in Canada and France, he said.

Comparing the focus on PE in Irish schools with those in Australia, he said the Irish were lagging behind. He said at senior level in second-level schools here the focus is often on Leaving Cert points rather than PE.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...262301849.html
          And he was a member of the DF? We haven't even got the resources for the reserve - where are they for schools?
          "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• I like the use of the plural- Pools-

He was a good lad when he was in- but evidently he must have hit his head, where are all these lads coming from, doesnt he know there is snow to be dug- sand bags to be filled- lifts to be mended.

A typical well intentioned ex officer who has been cosseted and spoiled by the can and will do effort of his NCO's and men.

Is he Jessup
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• You need to change your prescription HH. As well as being me, I'm Terrier and Noel Richardson too!

Noel Richardson worked in the DFSPC and that little empire and NCOs that have anything close to a 'can do or will do attitude' is a mutually exclusive arrangement! The staff down there interpret that as I 'can do' as much personal training as I like because I'm a PTI so I 'will do' that. Far too many of them focused on training various soccer/GAA/rugby teams, giving martial arts lessons, running boot camps for bored housewives in Marley Park etc. rather than facilitating unit PT.

Anyway..........this is a barmy suggestion for sure but Noel Richardson's lasting legacy will be the introduction of the IT 1/92 and its subsequent successors. Compare that to the joke of it's predecessor (wasn't it the IT 1/80?) He drove the IT 1/92 single handed against opposition at every turn and from all levels. He failed to get it linked to MSA which was an awful shame as the General Staff chickened out when the Bolsheviks started waving their placards and quoting 'conditions of employment' etc. etc. Would be interesting to see how many fat bastards would remain as tubs of lard if they lost their MSA as result of failing the fitness test? Same for RDF, how many would be left if they had to pass the fitness test once a year?
              Last edited by Jessup; 14 January 2010, 10:53.

Comment

• Mr. Richardson was on KCLR(Kilkenny Carlow Local Radio) this morning talking about this very subject. To be fair, he has a point, the amount of PE being done in schools is not nearly enough. When I was in 6th Year, we did one 45 minute class a week, hardly even worth getting togged out for.
                Where Richardson is wrong is in stating that the DF needs to fill the gap in this area, the DF is overstretched already. What he should be doing is aiming at changing the PE curriculum at primary and secondary level.
                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• He said at senior level in second-level schools here the focus is often on Leaving Cert points rather than PE
                  Probably because how fit you are when you're 18 isn't going to affect your ability to get a job for the rest of your life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                    Far too many of them focused on training various soccer/GAA/rugby teams, giving martial arts lessons, running boot camps for bored housewives in Marley Park etc. rather than facilitating unit PT
                    Not from what I can see

Last week, one of the instructors was running a Circuits session for
                    Apprentices on Wednesday

Circuit Training is done in the DFPES at approx 1230 every Tues and
                    Thurs during the winter months

Indeed I was there myself on Tuesday, and nearly calved by the
                    end of it - but bloody hell, Pat was right - the pulse WAS back below
                    the 100 mark by the end of the warm downs....
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Its amazing that Noel who is no longer a member of the DF thinnks he has the ability to
                      detail/volunteer the DF to carry out fitness training in schools-

On a similar vein - he is high up in the sports dept in Carlow IT
                      would it be safe to assume that Noel and pals will allow each and every school in the Carlow area
                      free use of their facilities and the use of the Carlow IT training staff.

Or is his Officer training coming out in him - volunteer everybody but yourself
                      but take the credit yourself
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                        When I was in 6th Year, we did one 45 minute class a week, hardly even worth getting togged out for.
                        Back in the day..... old age is setting in now but I think the following is all correct:

No half day on a Wednesday (only school in the town not to get one)

Classes were 40 minutes long

Double period of PE each week PLUS a double period of games (in reality you were exercising for a hour twice a week), I think in 6th year, there was no games class

In addition there was a Clubs class once a week, some of them were sports clubs.

Training for school teams was usually at lunch time

Comment

• with us, in primary school we got PE for about half an hour to 3/4's of an hour every week and it was largely useless. Sometime it was even cancelled cause some people in the class were messing. Result: whole class sent back to be given out to. Useless.

In secondary it was a bit better, we had a double class once a week and that was about about 70 minutes once everyone got togged out etc, mostly our PE class was just before lunch hour anyway so it was really more like 130 mins (give or take). In 6th year it was made optional (most still went).

I know in the convent down the road they had no PE in 6th year, mind you, some of them could use it...
                          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                          He put a bullet through his brain.
                          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                            I know in the convent down the road they had no PE in 6th year, mind you, some of them could use it...
                            Too right

Comment

• I have never understood, or appreciated, the emphasis on ITs in the RDF.
                              Especially as it doesn't just stand for you in the RDF...it gets you fit and keeps you fit- and all the obvious benefits of that- yet it is something that seems to be discarded by the RDF.

There is a degree of people in the PDF too that aren't arsed about staying in shape. And later in life that will keep back on them.

But the point I am making is why there isn't a standard level of fitness and a compulsary IT every year for the RDF. It beggars belief that people can't run for a bus and expect to be able to indulge in military tactics etc. And then wonder why it is so hard for them when they are doing it.
                              The fitter you are, the lesser the physical impact on the body is felt. So it is worth getting and keeping in shape.

I do see a lot of RDF people when they are about in the Glen or the Curragh...and I do see them going for a jog/run. Fair play to them guys...that's what your organisation needs.
                              Fit NCOs/officers as opposed to unfit and overweight NCOs and officers.

Comment

Working...
                              X