Caution Military Activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution Military Activity

Driving home from Cork yesterday and after i passed Kilcoran Lodge i saw a sign saying Caution Military Activity, the only other place ive seen one of these signs is in the Curragh where there is plenty of military activity, i didnt see a hint of any military activity on the cork road is there a range or training area near the area. I know kilworth is near mitchelstown but is it not the other side of mitchelstown

Kilcornan range is small ass range on the left hand side on your way from mitchelstown to chair
    Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

I assume you mean Kilcoran?
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
        Driving home from Cork yesterday and after i passed Kilcoran Lodge i saw a sign saying Caution Military Activity.......
        Good to see, it lets the people see their Taxes at work.

Bit of a shame though, that you didn't see a fine member of the Military Police Corp on duty,:wink:

Comment

I've always wondered, when passing that sign, precisely what 'Military Activity' would require motorists to exercise caution. Random machine gunning of cars maybe? Perhaps the use of passing motorists as target practise for Javelins? Or just dangerous amounts of rumour mongering?

I've never seen any activity around there though. Was unable to get breakfast in Urlingford recently though - the car park was full of Mowags (yes, including the new ones with the RWS) , trucks and Nissans, and the shop was full of very mannerly young men in DPM, all buying breakfast rolls. Does that count as 'military activity'?

Comment

Military personnel/vehicles crossing the road, road blocks (for exercises) etc

Comment

At least they were mannerly and made a good impression.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I've worked with, and in the vicinity of PDF (Army and NS) personnel in a number of different contexts, and they've never been anything other than polite, personable and highly professional. Both are very highly regarded in other European services also.

In terms of roadblocks and stop and searches - never seen training for it here, have seen it in the uk, and done by professionals, it can be scary!

Comment

The main problem in Kilcoran is military traffic waiting to turn across the main Cork/Dublin road into the range, or pulling out of the range in convoy, to allow the last man lock the gate. That stretch of road is quite dangerous, I'm sure the Military authorities don't want to add unnecessarily to the danger.

Its a lovely range though.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Twas Us! Just finished our Military activity
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                      ....I've never seen any activity around there though....
                      The range is in use almost every day of the week and quite frequently at weekends. So much so that the management of the nearby Kilcoran Lodge Hotel complained that the noise was disturbing his guests. One wedding video had a soundtrack straight from Beirut circa 1978. A local busybody once wrote to the local rag to complain of the Army firing "heavy artillery" in the wood.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                      My favourite moment was when the
                      Originally posted by hedgehog
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

its like a children crossing sign , there are no roadblocks ever on public roads bar as part of an atcp mission with gardai.
                        its a dangerous road , kilworth has flashing signs same reason .
                        "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

I'm not familar with the area.

Comment

As part of the PSO training we do road blocks..stop search ops ,snap road blocks..well the Cav do..but they are orchestrated within bks.

VCPs being the Army choice of term..Vehicle Check Points.

can't stop civilian traffic on any public road without garda being present....and then its the grad has the right of search..not the soldier.
                            Last edited by hptmurphy; 16 July 2007, 13:51.

Comment

Hpt you are incorrect. For manoeuvrs and range practices you are allowed to stop civilian traffic. S274 of the Defence Act applies
                              The electronic Irish Statute Book (eISB) comprises the Acts of the Oireachtas (Parliament), Statutory Instruments, Legislation Directory, Constitution and a limited number of pre-1922 Acts.

However for training etc. that's correct.
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                              X