Army Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Question

I Just had my final interview there last week for the Cadets. To be honest i don't think i am going to get offered a Cadetship in the army. i don't think i impressed the panel enough. I am 25 years old and i know i want a career in the defence forces and i don't want to hang around another year to wait for the competition again.
    I was thinking of recruiting into the army but i know the age cut off is 25 years old. someone said to me that you can have up to 27 if you are a member of the R.D.F. i have served in the R.D.F for the last two years. If anybody could clarify this for me i would be greatly appreciative or has any other suggestion.
    Thank You
    "Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light. Not because Chuck Norris is afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Chuck Norris"

Recruits upper age limits (on date on enlistment):
    Army / AC - Under 25
    Naval Service - Under 27

The upper age limits for serving RDF personnel were removed a number of years ago.

Comment

I Just had my final interview there last week for the Cadets. To be honest i don't think i am going to get offered a Cadetship in the army. i don't think i impressed the panel enough
      Don't jump the gun - all the Cadets I know (including one who got best Cadet) thought they had flunked the final interview. From what I know, the Army interview is different to civvy interviews in that civvies allow you to "sell yourself" while the Army want specific answers to specific questions, and this often leads people to feel that they didn't "shine". So basically wait and see.

Otherwise, if you were unlucky, don't rush into the ranks before thinking it through. Its now August, and the next Cadet competition starts in 6 months - its unlikely that you'll be able to get into the PDF before that.

My advice, (as someone who has never applied, but has a lot of experience in helping a friend get in) is, if you are unsuccessful, is to sit down with a PDF officer, preferably of Capt or Cft rank, and go through the application form and interview competencies. Make sure you have good examples for each (at least 3) and get a list of interview questions (they are pretty much the same every year) and be able to answer them. FOI your papers from this year and see if you can ascertain why you didn't get in this year. Use the next few months to work on those points.

Very few people get in on the first attempt so if you are serious don't be afraid to try again.
      "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
      Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
      X