Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archimedes
    replied
    The Arty Sch YO courses are great but a huge deal comes down to the individual learning for him/herself within the unit both before and after the course. Some people that go on the course already have years experience of laying out and controlling artillery. The odd individual can complete the course and go on to forget all that was learned within 6 months. The arrival of new equipment such as the Topcon, Gunzen III and Viking suite not to mention the new HiPer survey gear has presented new chalenges to those that qualified on the older equipment. Most people are enthusiastic and anxious to learn but as the gear gets more complex, anyone not commited to staying current will quickly find themselves unable to fulfil certain roles within an Arty Bty.

Leave a comment:

• Viking
    replied
    You must do your YO's course to be eligable for promotion to capt now!
    That system is a bit of a joke, I know an Artillery Officer who didn't do his YOs until just before promotion to Captain - for the first 5 years or so as an Artillery Officer he wasn't qualified to operate Artillery.... In the UK Army "Special to Arm" training is done in the first year of commissioned service.

Leave a comment:

• mowaghead
    replied
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Actually it seems as if the PDF have got rid of the Std Offrs Cse according to the new entrants handbook:

Cadet Cse
    PSO Pln Comdrs Cse for 2/Lt & Lts
    YOs Cse for Lts
    Junior C&S Cse for promotion to Comdt
    C&S Cse for promotion to Lt Col

What is the PDF Cse for promotion to Captain?
    You must do your YO's course to be eligable for promotion to capt now!

Leave a comment:

• Viking
    replied
    Std Offrs Cse
    AFAIK Artillery Officers still do a Std Officers Cse. Its normally done at Capt rank and seems to be very Corps-specific.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Actually it seems as if the PDF have got rid of the Std Offrs Cse according to the new entrants handbook:

Cadet Cse
    PSO Pln Comdrs Cse for 2/Lt & Lts
    YOs Cse for Lts
    Junior C&S Cse for promotion to Comdt
    C&S Cse for promotion to Lt Col

What is the PDF Cse for promotion to Captain?

Leave a comment:

• EL_CAPATIANO
    replied
    The RDF Standard Officers Course was based on the PDF Junior Command and Staff course.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    The PDF Std Officers Cse is meant for promotion to Capt, way not for the RDF. It would make more sense to allow any Lieutenant or junior captain to do it, that way Lieutenants are learning how to do the job of the next rank (they may be doing it already and waiting for a vacancy) or to make them better in their rank (if serving captain).

Leave a comment:

• EL_CAPATIANO
    replied
    Originally posted by Viking View Post
    Is the "Standard Officers Course" for Lts or Captains?
    The criteria for the course was Lts with more than 10yrs service and Capts. with less than 5 yrs service.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Whoever asked me the question, the procedures for all RDF promotions and boards are laid down in Adm Instr. R5 E&P of which every unit has a copy.

However there are now 2 Adm Instr R5 [ one for Money - the new one and one for promotions and enlistments, where the trick is to have a copy of the latest edition with the revised chap 9 ]

Leave a comment:

• Viking
    replied
    Is the "Standard Officers Course" for Lts or Captains?

Leave a comment:

• EL_CAPATIANO
    replied
    Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
    The current regulations need to be overhauled.

This system is a joke and is why you see alot of RDF Officers turning up on camp making a show of themselves IMHO.

It should be mandatory for all officers to complete a Standard Officers course.

This course should be ran by the Cadet School and have strict entry requirements, to raise the standards of the officers in the RDF to bring them up to a similiar par with their PDF counterparts
    In July there was the 1st Standard Officers Course in the Curragh ran by the RDFTA. The instructors were from the Officer Training Wing. Very GOOD instructors I will say.
    There was originally 30 places on the course, 21 started and finished it. You say it should be mandatory for all officers to complete this course, I agree. The only thing now is that those will have to wait 2 yrs to get on the next one.

Leave a comment:

• Liachta Cultaca
    replied
    Originally posted by kermit
    Standards need to be improved from the bottom up.
    I agree

I am not trying to belittle or insult any officers - I think we need to raise the standard in all areas commissioned and non-commissioned

Leave a comment:

• Liachta Cultaca
    replied
    Originally posted by kermit
    Why stop there? Why not raise the level of recruits, privates, Corporals, Sergeants, CQs, CSs, BQMSs, BSMs, and Corps equivalents to the level of their PDF counterparts also?
    Standards need to be enforced from the top down.

Leave a comment:

• Viking
    replied
    Errr, the second year of the RDF Pot Offr course is run by the Cadet School.
    I know, thats the "current crowd" I mentioned.... And I think its ran "in" the Cadet School, rather than "by", especially since a lot of the instructors are RDF Officers.

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied
    Originally posted by Viking View Post
    Also, any chance we could rename the thread, its a bit opaque!
    The first requirement for promotion from Lt to Capt will from now on be to figure out what this thread is all about

Leave a comment:

Working...
X