Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the HAIX model boots available anywhere to buy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are the HAIX model boots available anywhere to buy?

    While speaking to a PDF officer a couple of weeks ago, he told me that he felt the Haix PDF boots were excellent in terms of impact absorption so therefore good for injury prevention.

    Without this turning into an RDF.. ya shouldnt have them.. 24B's were great.. GRRR RDF Baad thread..

    What is the current model of Haix boots issued to the PDF and are they available to buy?

  • #2
    There is a steel toed version of the HAIX boot commercially available.

    See here:
    http://www.bondsafety.ie/ProductView...id=39&pn=Tibet

    They are billed on the website as being
    "Similar model to the Kampfschuh Model no.2 issued to the Irish Army."

    Don't know if this IS the case or not. However, a Cpl of my acquaintance in an
    RDF Arty Regt has a pair of the steel toed issue Haix boots, and he swears by
    them
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

    Comment


    • #3
      The steel toe capped version is the one that all DF truck drivers are supposed to be wearing. NOt that I know any that are!!
      Without supplies no army is brave.

      —Frederick the Great,

      Instructions to his Generals, 1747

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm not sure if the steel toe capped HAIX are still on issue, my unit got the magnum steel toe capped boots before our camp in the glen this year.

        I could be wrong though.
        Last edited by smegers; 27 August 2007, 21:20.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by luchi View Post
          The steel toe capped version is the one that all DF truck drivers are supposed to be wearing. NOt that I know any that are!!
          Who says they're supposed to be wearing them? The scale of issue says that they are to be issued to artillery and engineers engaged in fieldwork that requires them.

          Comment


          • #6
            maybe you could buy them straight off haix from there website

            http://www.haix.com/eng/products_en.php
            Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

            Comment


            • #7
              The difference between the Haix Tibet and the ones on issue is that the ones on issue (Kampfschuh Model no.2) have D rings all the way up. The Tibets have hooks all the way up. I personally prefer the D rings (for various reasons).

              The ones on issue were specially designed for use by the Irish Army. You therefore cannot buy them online.

              Incidentally the Tibets aren't steel toed. They're not safety boots.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Barry View Post
                Who says they're supposed to be wearing them? The scale of issue says that they are to be issued to artillery and engineers engaged in fieldwork that requires them.
                A 105mm shell is not the only thing that can fall on your pinkies.
                Health and Safety matters would override the Scale of Issue. If it is
                recommended that protective footwear is worn by a HGV driver, then that
                should be happening. Crew members on a DROPS vehicle, for instance.

                As for the scale of issue, these can change. It took the possibility of some Arty
                head taking a claim for dropping a 105mm shell on his foot to prod the DF into
                issuing them to the RDF Arty Regts
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cooley View Post
                  Incidentally the Tibets aren't steel toed. They're not safety boots.
                  Apologies. You're correct on that one - just copped that. However, the steel toed
                  variants of the boots can be seen here:

                  http://www.bondsafety.ie/ViewBrandBy...px?bid=4&iid=1
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    A 105mm shell is not the only thing that can fall on your pinkies.
                    Health and Safety matters would override the Scale of Issue. If it is
                    recommended that protective footwear is worn by a HGV driver, then that
                    should be happening. Crew members on a DROPS vehicle, for instance.

                    As for the scale of issue, these can change. It took the possibility of some Arty
                    head taking a claim for dropping a 105mm shell on his foot to prod the DF into
                    issuing them to the RDF Arty Regts
                    Exactly, you answered Barry's question before I could.

                    It is contained in the H&S requirements. They are listed as required equiptment for al Mod 3 pupils and all Drops puplis.
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

                    —Frederick the Great,

                    Instructions to his Generals, 1747

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by luchi View Post
                      It is contained in the H&S requirements. They are listed as required equiptment for al Mod 3 pupils and all Drops puplis.
                      Fair enough, I was only wondering if it was down on paper anywhere, or if it was more a case of "They get it so we want it too"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you contact bond they can order the haix without a steel tap, I have a pair from them that I ordered through work, good pair of boots but I prefer my magnum elite
                        Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

                        "Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                        http://munsterfireandrescue.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Buy Meindls

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Try Meindls

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Barry View Post
                              Fair enough, I was only wondering if it was down on paper anywhere, or if it was more a case of "They get it so we want it too"
                              As I said I don't know anyone, RDF or PDF that actually got them!!!!
                              Without supplies no army is brave.

                              —Frederick the Great,

                              Instructions to his Generals, 1747

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X