Old Photos Of The Leb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Photos Of The Leb

These you have to look at..about 48 photos in total posted back in 2001 and were 20 years old at that time.

I 'm sure the guy who took them won't mind me using the link and I hope he is alive and well and some one knows him.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Thanks Murp great to see these personal pics from all them years ago from that chap.

BMax.
    British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

I know someone with about 5000 pictures spanning 43 years in the army including about 9 years of over seas missions, I reckon it would make a good book. Im sure that there some amazing phots out there rotting away in atics and drawers.

Comment

And all because somebody ignored some peoples "rule" of never bringing a camera.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

A chance to bring up a question I've been meaning to ask.

Are there professional photographers in the PDF?
          And who takes the photographs that end up getting used officially?

Comment

Originally posted by Acidsphere View Post
            Are there professional photographers in the PDF?
            And who takes the photographs that end up getting used officially?
            Yes. Try reading all of the contents page of An Cosantoir, it gives the name of the photographer, and a lot of the photos used will be credited to a DF photographer (usually named).

Comment

There has been always been official photographers but as they also developed their own images a lot of stuff never made it to the printing stage.

A lot of units have huge archives I've been through mine and it takes up massive amounts of space.Given that a lot of the stuuf is unit specific it may not be of interest to most.
              It would take an age to upload a lot of these imges from unit archives but it would be a well worthwhile project.
              Its part of our military heritage and should be preserved.Persoannly I've transfered most all of my own collection to disk as deterioration is very evident in some cases.

Automatic scanning would be an option but is there a will there to archive old photos. Not everyone has the same regard for old photos as some of us.Some photos are very personal and people are unwilling to be parted with them as the loss of a photo may also be the loss of the last contact with a person or time.

I'm just funny about these things.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Air Corps Photographic section. They have some stunning shots of their own aircraft that would be perfect for military.ie (ooops can, worms, everywhere!!) They also do general pics of mil stuff. They have loads of aerial stuff of the Glen and other camps.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  And all because somebody ignored some peoples "rule" of never bringing a camera.
                  the word you are searching for is ADHERED

not ignorned

those of us who lived the life have our memories what more do we want

those of you who didnt have really nice CCTV images.

outside some poxy burger bar in some poxy place
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

WHat?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

those of us who lived the life have our memories what more do we want
                      I lived the life and was happy to record things I thought I may never see again.

Funnily enough there was no real 'ban' on photography. I think the problems that we currentl have are due to what people do with the images.

In fairness back in the days of either 110 0r 35mm photography..before cheap processing ..photography was seen as a past time for the idle rich or those who fancied themselves as 'arty'.

Its only with the advent of cheap processing ..disposable cameras and digital photography things have changed.

Its called progress.

Comment

Having been telling myself for a long time that I would scan the photos
                        I have from bygone days. Recently started doing it, and it's a trip down
                        memory lane, reminding me of all the stories associated with the pictures.

Would fully agree with Murph, with the advent of digital photo technology
                        and the Internet, photos are popping up good-oh. Unfortunately, some people don't
                        always exercise a bit of common sense before they post the pictures, with the
                        result that we see witch hunts....
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                        X