RDF Serving Overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF Serving Overseas

if overseas was offered to members of the RDF for appointments that they work in civie life.would it be a runner ? an example would be plumber working as a plumber. or would the thought of just going overseas and not soldiering put members off.
    No, under any circumstances
    8.29%
    Yes, without question would drop everything
    19.89%
    Yes but due to family circumstances etc
    4.42%
    Yes but self employed and can't leave
    3.31%
    Yes, depending on appointment while overseas
    7.18%
    Yes, depending on employment legislation / employer
    30.39%
    Yes, depending on how it is offered (conditions of service etc)
    17.13%
    Yes but other reason
    2.21%
    Yes but I'd want to see how it pans out
    7.18%

I believe that this would be the best way to utilise reserves. Form a reserve support company manned by people who's skills could be utilised on overseas missions.
    EG Why retrain a pdf infantryman as a forklift driver when you could use a reservist whose civvie job is as an experienced forklift driver?

Air conditioning engineer anyone?

Comment

What are you gonna do with all the arts students though?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Target Practise
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua View Post
          EG Why retrain a pdf infantryman as a forklift driver when you could use a reservist whose civvie job is as an experienced forklift driver?
          Because the DF / DOD refuse to recognise civilian qualifications held by RDF personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            Because the DF / DOD refuse to recognise civilian qualifications held by RDF personnel.
            There was a girl on my pots course who got commissioned when she got her engineering degree, I'm fairly sure she hadn't got the officer's course done.
            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I know of two RDF medics who served overseas in Liberia, they are EMT's as a day job. The PDF thought they were really old Rangers who's berets had faded!
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Yes because Liberia is actually the exception to every other un mission that Ireland takes part in in that we wear our own national berets instead of the blue one
                I think someones being yanking your chain mate:redface:
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                  I know of two RDF medics who served overseas in Liberia, they are EMT's as a day job. The PDF thought they were really old Rangers who's berets had faded!
                  Don't think so.

RDF Doctors who took a short service commission in the PDF yes , but RDF personnel with EMT qualifications no.
                  I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

I was in Liberia myself...Or was it a Library...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Imo, that will change..

Comment

I will second thtat.The day is coming when alot of the combat service support personnel serving overseas will be rdf.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

So I'll be the guy who isn't sent out on the op becuase I can type! Crap!
                          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

A doctor who was given a very very loose commission

and then on return given an even looser red one (no SB or sword and No mess dress)

I never heard about the RDF Bods and I really cant imagine there were any there

NOT as RDF anyway
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                              NOT as RDF anyway
                              Quite rightly so, it would be illegal.

Comment