Officer Foreign Placement Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Foreign Placement Scheme

Hi folks, does anyone know what this “Officer Foreign Placement Scheme” entails? I saw it mentioned in the DF Annual Report (pg 35) for 2006 but no details are included.
    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

Originally posted by Viking View Post
    Hi folks, does anyone know what this “Officer Foreign Placement Scheme” entails? I saw it mentioned in the DF Annual Report (pg 35) for 2006 but no details are included.
    There was a French Officer in Clonmel for a fortnight earlier this year. That was about it really. I suppose some Commandant or Lt Col got a two week mingy trip to Paris courtesy of the taxpayer in return.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    Originally posted by hedgehog
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

there was also some Bird Officer that did a year in Paris in their ASylum / Military College

she actually wrote a very good article in An Cosantoir

and by all accounts she did herself and the DF proud,
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Must have a look at that article. When was it in An Cosantoir?
        "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
        Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
          Must have a look at that article. When was it in An Cosantoir?
          about 2 months after she got back from France

Comment

That officer is now 2/ic of the Potential Officers Course in the Curragh

Comment

well done that Lady

Comment

its mainly for officers in the USAC scheme who do erasmus in other countries, but other officers have been known to do placements in countries such as spain and france to improve their language skills which could be a benefit to the DF.

Comment

Hi there
                  Don pilots have done exchanges with countries employing the same equipment, but usually for very short tours.The concept of NATO-style year-long exchange tours is still unknown here.
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

There's an officer in the US command and staff school ATM, **** knows what he's doing though.

Comment

When I was at my officer basic course, we had visiting students from countries with no similar equipment at all. There are no M1 Abrams tanks in the Senegalese military. Indeed, there are no tanks at all, the officer in question was going to a unit with AMLs.

However, it was an excellent way of giving the soldier an example of how other countries do business, as a basis for comparison or possibly a source of ideas on different ways of doing things: Militaries can be very institutionalised: This is the way we've done it, this is the way we've always done it, this is the way we're going to train it, and we know nothing different. As an example, in this month's Armor magazine, there's a very good comparison between the US Army's Military Decision Making Process and the German Army's "Auftragstaktik"-style equivalent written by the Bundeswehr's representative in Ft Knox. To an extreme, the 2IC of the British Army's armored vehicle gunnery school is an American Major. I expect a British officer to be teaching me in Knox next year.
                      At the lowest level, a foreign school trip can give a practical lesson in the capabilities of equipment which one might encounter, even if one has nothing of such a nature in one's own military.

NTM
                      Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

I've had the opportunity to go to French Commando school (Martinique) and my state (maybe every state) does an exchange program every year. A couple of years ago two of our instructors went to Germany for 2 weeks later we have 2 German NCO's come over - they were active component. I think our two got more out of it that they did. I like the concept as I think there is a benefit as long as it doesn't turn into drink filled vacation (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Cal does your state not do an exchange program?
                        There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

I went for two weeks to the UK, with two MN Guard tankers. Bovington/Lulworth.

NTM
                          Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Exchanges

When I was at my basic course in Ft Benning, there was a PDF CPT attending the Infantry Officers Advanced Course. Several Irish officers have attended the US Army Staff School at Ft Leavenworth over the years. The Irish Staff School gives one slot a year to a US Major (active offices only lads, I checked), so the exchanges are common enough.

Each state in the NG gets a few slots per year for exchanges with the TA and the German Reserves (Landswher?), usually a two at a time. A few years ago we sent two NCO's to England for a two week camp with the TA and two NCO's from that unit came over for Annual Training with us. It was a good time and we learned a lot from the programme.

I've looked into the programme, but it's basically hand picked and hard to get the slots. Ireland does not participate in the programme, just the UK and Germany. There are opportunities for non-exchange training too. At your state G-3, there should be an ODT manager who will run the programme.

Cheers,

A

Comment

Seems common enough in the NS also. They Had a Kiwi Naval female officer working on one of the OPVs for a while, gave them a great insight into how their new ships would handle. I don't know if someone has headed out to Aotearoa yet though..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X