Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Integrated Reserve be allowed to recruit directly from Civi street?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Integrated Reserve be allowed to recruit directly from Civi street?

This is related to the other "Integrated Reserve" thread but I wanted to get your views on this in a poll. As the integration is treated like a course for the first year (to bring RDF soldiers up to standard), could we not recruit from Civi street and make it a 2, or 3 year course?

Recruiting Integrated RDF soldiers from civi-street would have several advantages as far as I can see:

- Non-integrated officers and Cadre wouldn't be able to hinder recruitment
    - Bad habits present in the RDF wouldn't be allowed to develop
    - Potential for larger numbers in highly populated areas
    - Imbalance in the ranks could be easily addressed

Disadvantages:

- Large initial drop-out rate
    - Requirment for increased training resources
    - More time would have to be spent on recruitment for (what could be) minimul return
    - Recruitment could conflict with local RDF units
    Yes, that would help the Integrated reserve develop
    26.32%
    No, leave it the way it is
    73.68%
    "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

No ****ing way, it would destroy the non integrated RDF units.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

The fact that integrated units don't have to train RDF recruits allows them the time to concentrate on the training they have received in the last year.

Comment

No .The whole idea is that the pdf staff dont have to start from scratch with the inductees.I.e basics such as foot drill etc.The syllabus was intended to improve the skills the reservist candidate allready had and to add in a few that they wouldnt normaly be trained in.
        The idea being that when the "bridging syllabus "was completed the reservist would be able to stand alongside his pdf colleagues and have the same skill set.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
          No .The whole idea is that the pdf staff dont have to start from scratch with the inductees....
          That would be my slant on it aswell. If the prospective inductees are taken in from scratch, then the entire 2-3 years of the Integrated term would be spent on getting them to the standard they would be at at the moment, entering the Integrated Reserve. The only way this could be accelerated would be if they did a mountain of full time training, and this probably would not be feasible for a Reservist with civilian employment
          Last edited by FMolloy; 12 December 2007, 21:20.
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

You might as well be recruiting them into the PDF, so what's the point.
            Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Originally posted by thedollar View Post
              You might as well be recruiting them into the PDF, so what's the point.
              If I understand it correctly, Integrated RDF is a part time service that is tactically trained, and operationally viable in terms of working with the PDF... so its an active reserve... you could argue the whole RDF should be active, but only some wanna do it, so why not accomodate them, it seems good on paper to me... win for Army, more manpower to use, win for integregated reservist, gets more experience....
              "There is nothing braver then the heart of a volunteer" Lt. Col. Dolittle, USAC, 1941.

Comment

No. Just no. Why bother having the RDF if the int can recruit from civvie street?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                  No. Just no. Why bother having the RDF if the int can recruit from civvie street?
                  Its a matter of opinion I suppose, from my viewpoint, it seems reasonable to me that a two tiered reserve be there for those who wanna be in integrated and those who wanna get some active experience supporting the operational side of the Army..

One could argue that it all should be supporting the Operations of the Army actively and get rid of the non active reserve as its a waste, etc... but I dont think such a shock change would be wise... even the Yanks have layered their reserve forces.... but a single reserve arguements has merits of its own too...
                  "There is nothing braver then the heart of a volunteer" Lt. Col. Dolittle, USAC, 1941.

Comment

Everyone should have to go through the same chain. Don't like that and it puts you off? Obviously not dedicated enough to begin with. Can't start looknig at things like that til EVERYONE currently in the reserve has had a chance to go int. Otherwise it's basically saying "screw you lot, we don't care, you're wasting your time and thanks for the previous x years of your life, they mattered sweet f all to us"
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Be careful about your terminology; a lot of people forget we nominally have a 1st line reserve also.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                        Why bother having the RDF if the int can recruit from civvie street?
                        Exactly!
                        What is the point on having the RDF?
                        Whats the point on having a reserve that cannot support the PDF?
                        Why not stop the regular RDF from recruiting all together and just allow the integrated RDF recruit?
                        Gradually force the whole RDF to be integrated, rather than this voluntary movement.
                        "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Comment

Don't start me off.

Comment

What about civvies with high end skill sets engineers, doctors etc. who may want to be involved in the DF but not give up their high paid jobs in the private sector. I’d say it would be a good idea have them as part of an integrated RDF unit where the PDF could have better access to there knowledge and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Caipin Cach View Post
                              Don't start me off.
                              I see captain one liner is back! Still working on that post count mate?Perhaps this time you might try to add something constructive to the forum instead of one line pithy responses.And perhaps you might try to stick to the one user name too.Like the rest of us who contribute something here!
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                              X