Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shades

as in sunglasses.

Ever see a platoon with every other member wearing shades?

I think it looks tacky, non military with everything from Ray Ban to Gucci to Dunnes Stores brands being worn.

Technically, if you think about it, sunglasses could be classified as personal protective equipment ie protection against uv rays entering the eyes.

Could they therefore be worn on the basis of health and safety?

Answers on a postcard.............

I can see someone, eg Batt Cmdr, having a problem with them when in formation etc, wanting uniformity etc, but while in garrison on general duties or in the field they make sense. If you've ever been to a "sunny" climate, ie outside Ireland, you'll see they are an absolute necessity while driving or spending any time outdoors.

As for different brands, it's a personal choice, depending on funds available, prescription, if applicable, and taste.

IMO it would be a real asshole boss who got bent out of shape about sunglasses.

Later.
    No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Troops are issued with sunglasses for over seas missions!

Although they look a bit Starsky and Hutch they do the job eye care is as important as hearing protection I for one think that goggles should be on general issue to the troops.
      As for better or cooler sun glasses that should be up to the individual soldier the tax payer should not have to fork out for these, well there's my two cents!

Comment

On my NCOs course we had asimilar problem....soloution discount store thirty pairs of the same glasses ..problem solved.The only glasses to be worn on parades etc are prescription sunglasses.As for general use I always have apair a must have when travelling in sunny weather..... the DF don't even supply goggles to armour crew ...so I wouldn't hold out any hope for an issue
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Ray Bans are on issue to watchkeeping officers of the NS, i think they would fall into PPE in this instance
          No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
          No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Ray bans are for wankers try Ronell designed by a former Rayban designer better quality at half the price
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Didn't that US equipment evaluation thread mention issued sunglasses?
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The Gardai Have been using Ronnel Overseas and on motorcycles for a few years now. I had the opportunity to try them once and I thought they improved my eyesight. They have certain protective qualities also,butI am unsure to what level.

However I do have a problem with the amount of US servicemen in Iraq wearing them. i do not think in the ATCP role,when dealing with members of the public,sunglasses should be worn. There is a lot of shrinkology behind this logic. Its not just an arab thing. That said where I work we are provided withsafety glasses as a protection against dust,and many have succeded in requesting tinted versions for, as our office faces into the sun most of the day.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I've been mulling over the idea of spending a large sum (E70) on a pair of sunglasses for climbing, sailing walking etc if I was going to be using them with the RDF as well it'd probably tip the balance.
                  That said I hate wearing them on the street it just feels weird having something on your face.
                  Goldie, if the yanks actually stopped hiding behind their shades they might have to actually recognise Iraqis as human beings,,,and where would that lead?
                  "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I was issued with sunglasses when I went overseas. They are an absolute must in the middle east because you cannot see without them. We wore sunglasses pretty much all the time and would not have been able to function without them. We rarely wore them in Ireland because they sun never really shines in Ireland so you don't need them!!

Comment

Easy Rider

When I was doing my Easy Rider thing on a Sanglas no-one said boo about by Ray-Bans, probably cos the crapy helmets did n't always have visors. I read some of the Aussis Diggers in Timor got into trouble with Asian officers cos they would n't take off the sunnies when talking to them, citing health and safety regs. The Asians probably had a point as the wrap-around mirror shades favoured by the Diggers do make them look a little bit too gangsta.

Comment

Working...
                      X