Disability in the RDF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or a delightful pixelated grey.
    When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
    All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Now green and grey, theres a colour that can be difficult to distinguish at extreme distances....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by ollie View Post
        this is what i was thinking , maybe squeel to the social welfare crowd
        Its up to you. If it was me I'd not only go to Social Welfare Dept (Easy to cross check his PPS No with DoD payments) but also to his face and ask him does he meet the criteria for enlistment in the DF, with the rules in hand. If he says yes, ask him why he's claiming to be disabled. If he says No, ask him to have a chat with the next higher up.

Where does this end if we dont bring it to the relevent authorites?

Turn a blind eye to accepting social welfare while employed?

Turn a blind eye to a serving member taking illegal substances?

Turn a blind eye to someone with a mental/physical disability while on the range/guard?

Its a very slippery slope
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          Most armies tend to wear green colours these days anyway....
          really then http://www.biyokulule.com/young%20somali%20mooryaan.jpg nobody told these lads that

why dont they let people with colour bindness in the defence forces then?

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
            Where does this end if we dont bring it to the relevent authorites?
            Be careful whose empires you upset. The "relevent authorities" are quite happy to plead ignorance. If you tell them, then they'll be forced to act, and that involves sticking ones head above the parapet. Makes one unpopular.

Turn a blind eye to accepting social welfare while employed?
            Already being done. In some cases sanctioned by Social welfare.

Turn a blind eye to a serving member taking illegal substances?
            Look around you, unless you are blind to it you know its being done. Until these individuals draw attention to themselves, the relevant authorities are happy to pretend it doesn't happen. Otherwise all of us would be doing a mandatory drug test every year.

Turn a blind eye to someone with a mental/physical disability while on the range/guard?
            You need to be more clear in your definition of "disability". Some people have become disabled while they are serving in the RDF. Yet there is no way to officially screen them during their service to prevent them from continuing to serve in spite of their disability.
            I tried to draw peoples attention to this in another post but was shouted down by those who assumed I was looking for an opt out for the ITs. More Joined when the medicals were not as stringent. Most of these people who could be considered "disabled" in the official sense, are perfectly capable of doing the duties currently assigned to them.

Its a very slippery slope
            Depends on whether you are at the top or the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by c-90 View Post
              really then http://www.biyokulule.com/young%20somali%20mooryaan.jpg nobody told these lads that

why dont they let people with colour bindness in the defence forces then?
              1. Those pictured could hardly be described as an army.

2. Use the search function. Already discussed elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                Be careful whose empires you upset. The "relevent authorities" are quite happy to plead ignorance. If you tell them, then they'll be forced to act, and that involves sticking ones head above the parapet. Makes one unpopular.
                Believe me. I know about that one.

Look around you, unless you are blind to it you know its being done. Until these individuals draw attention to themselves, the relevant authorities are happy to pretend it doesn't happen. Otherwise all of us would be doing a mandatory drug test every year.
                Maybe we should. But testing 50 samples a day would be a resource intensive operation I think. If I knew of my mates taking it I sure as hell wouldn't be thrilled with them with live ammo near me.

You need to be more clear in your definition of "disability". Some people have become disabled while they are serving in the RDF. Yet there is no way to officially screen them during their service to prevent them from continuing to serve in spite of their disability.
                I understand what your saying. Medical every two/three years? That aint going to happen.

I think the definition held in the rules is all thats needed.

DFR R5 Para 7(h) - a person in receipt of a disability pension from any source is ineligible for enlistment.
                This is a pension, from the sounds of it Ollies person in only on allowance.

DFR R5 Para 40(3) - people claiming / in receipt of disability benefit allowance from the Department of Social & Family Affairs are not allowed attend paid training.
                NOT ALLOWED ATTEND PAID TRAINING. Can turn up for unpaid duties all good but this isn't ideal because as pointed out

To qualify for Disability Allowance you must:

satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition*,
                have an injury, disease or illness, or have a physical or learning disability that has continued or is expected to continue for at least one year and causes you to be 'substantially restricted' in doing work that would otherwise be suitable for a person of your age, experience and qualifications,
                be aged between 16 and 65, and
                satisfy a means test.
                Illness? Mental, Pyschological, Phyisical?

A person with a loaded weapon on the range hearing 'Voices' aint good.
                A person with severe depression, on the range/guard aint good.
                A person who can't see between green DPM and paper target aint good.

Depends on whether you are at the top or the bottom.
                There's always a further way to go down, be it going down for negligence or going down literaly into a hole in the ground in a box
                Last edited by ZULU; 22 January 2008, 20:59.
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                  so if someone fulfils the above and passes the army medical where is the fraud?
                  The "Habitual Residence Condition" just means you live in Ireland.
                  I don't think you'll find a person satisfying these condtions passing the medical

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    You have to have a minimum standard of eyesight to get into the DF (PDF & RDF), same goes for hearing.
                    THe point was actually why is corrected eyesight acceptable but corrective hearing not.

I don't think you'll find a person satisfying these condtions passing the medical
                    THere are plenty of medical conditions the fit the bill. A mechanic with severe dermatitus would be out of work for at least 12 months. You are not permitted to work with food either so all catering jobs would be out and so you would be on disability.
                    One year I had it for about 2 months. Camp fell in the middle of that time. I had to go to the Doc in Athlone Bks because I left my cream at home. The Doc gave me a perscription and out a not in red letters on my LA30 "Must not handle food" and sent me back to my unit without even putting me LD.
                    And before you ask, I didn't have enough stamps to claim!!
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

THere are plenty of medical conditions the fit the bill.

A mechanic with severe dermatitus would be out of work for at least 12 months. You are not permitted to work with food either so all catering jobs would be out and so you would be on disability.

One year I had it for about 2 months. Camp fell in the middle of that time. I had to go to the Doc in Athlone Bks because I left my cream at home. The Doc gave me a perscription and out a not in red letters on my LA30 "Must not handle food" and sent me back to my unit without even putting me LD.
                      And before you ask, I didn't have enough stamps to claim!!
                      We're not talking about your minor injuries. The term is 'substantially restricted'. And if Ollies person is claiming disablity allowance they have had it for over a year. Not being able to handle food because of a rash aint substantially restricted. Not able to handle food because your both arms are crushed for over a year, however is another matter.

Guess what, I had dermatitus for a few weeks. Guess what, I was able to carry on doing the same job. Thats what gloves are for.

The issue is

Well its not a small thing because this person is recieving a full disability payment and has been for a long time. They also think its great that they are getting away with it.
                      they arent able to do the job, , last ex they wouldnt carry their own kit, demanded that they be let kip in the nissan and generally wasted their/our time.
                      they ve been able to attend paid training for the past 2 years without been caught
                      I look forward to your response on these Luchi, given the rules.

Comment

in the days you were in the RDF did you declare all your earnings? Have you reported yourself now? Have you informed the revenue comissioners of your fraud? Or do you apply discression and decide it would not serve justice?
                        As it happens, smart arse, I did. Having been employed by the revenue commissioners once upon a time it would have been hard for me to do otherwise. I have not committed any fraud and unless you've got proof otherwise you'd want to apologise.
                        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Zulu my point is still valid. There are some illnesses that qualify for disability but DO NOT exclude you from RDF service. And those in my unit know it was a lot more than a minor irritation.

FMolloy, you have said before that you know me. In which case you know I am not being a smart ass. My point was a simple one during that time there were many people that did not declare FCA earnings and even though you were not one of them there is a good chance you know plenty that were. So to ask the question is not an accusation.

But then again does this mean that we all should be going to the revenue commissioners with the PPS numbers of everyone we have ever been on camp with that we may believe were maknig incorrect tax returns?

I am not going to argue the rights and wrongs of the alleged fraud. But in Ollies case the guy seems to be a total waister regardless. So there is the other question of why do the superiors tollerate him?

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Luchi, I think what you're saying is touching on where to use discretion. If you brought that to the attention of the revenue commisioners, they'd probably spend as much as they'd gain back with all that hassle of chasing up all the past members that didn't pay their 50 euro of tax in their 2 years in the reserve (as an example..). Whereas in this guy's case it's more serious because each week he's paid is E450 or whatever pay rate he was on that shouldn't have been paid to him. Every single week.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Zulu my point is still valid. There are some illnesses that qualify for disability but DO NOT exclude you from RDF service. .
                              WE KNOW THAT! But they ARE excluded from PAID training.

Another issue is if they are 'SUNSTANTIALLY RESTRICTED' in their ability,then I don't see how they can carry out their service to their unit.

And those in my unit know it was a lot more than a minor irritation
                              Where you restricted from driving, writing, walking, running, carrying weight, standing for long periods due to your rash?

FMolloy, you have said before that you know me. In which case you know I am not being a smart ass. My point was a simple one during that time there were many people that did not declare FCA earnings and even though you were not one of them there is a good chance you know plenty that were. So to ask the question is not an accusation.

Have you informed the revenue comissioners of your fraud? Or do you apply discression and decide it would not serve justice?
                              What you accused FMolloy of doing wasn't a question Luchi. It was an accusation that he committed fraud, and in my opinion worthy of an apology from you.

Comment

Where you restricted from driving, writing, walking, running, carrying weight, standing for long periods due to your rash?
                                for the irest 2 weeks of the 2 months I was in hospital........does that count?

What you accused FMolloy of doing wasn't a question Luchi. It was an accusation that he committed fraud, and in my opinion worthy of an apology from you.
                                No it is not I sked did he? I have not doubted his answer have I?

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Working...
                                X