No announcement yet.

Are RDF civilians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the geneva convention says a lot of things. So do the DFR's.

The fact remains though that as far as the DOD are concerned (and i would guess the higher ups in the defence forces) we're classed as civilians.
    Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

Originally posted by spudula View Post
      the geneva convention says a lot of things. So do the DFR's.

The fact remains though that as far as the DOD are concerned (and i would guess the higher ups in the defence forces) we're classed as civilians.
      And as I said, it makes no difference what the DoD thinks - They are subject to Irish law as well. The current cases in front of the Labour Court have proven that what the DoD thinks doesn't matter - it is the Law that is all powerful.

Read
      PROTECTION OF EMPLOYEES (PART-TIME WORK) ACT, 2001

Comment

Ok. i just read it.

Which part were u refering to in particular??

Hopefully not the part that says "sections 16 to 18 shall not apply to a member of the defence forces"!!!!!!
        Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

And as I said, it makes no difference what the DoD thinks - They are subject to Irish law as well. The current cases in front of the Labour Court have proven that what the DoD thinks doesn't matter - it is the Law that is all powerful.
          Have the results of that case come out yet?
          "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
          Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

There is no such thing as international law....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

My hole.

S88 of the '54 act

119.—Each of the persons mentioned in this section shall, for the purposes of this Act, be a person subject to military law as a man—
              [GA]

( a ) a man of the Permanent Defence Force at all times,
              [GA]

( b ) a reservist when—
              [GA]

(i) he is called out on permanent service or in aid of the civil power, or
              [GA]

(ii) he is called out for training, exercise or other duty under this Act, or
              [GA]

(iii) he is voluntarily attending training, or
              [GA]

(iv) he is undergoing treatment in a military hospital, or
              [GA]

(v) he is employed on military service under the orders of an officer, who is himself subject to military law, or
              [GA]

(vi) he is in uniform,
              [GA]

( c ) subject to any general or special exemption made by the Minister (the proof whereof shall lie on the person claiming exemption), any person not otherwise subject to military law who is employed by or is in the service of any portion of the Defence Forces which is on active service,
              [GA]

( d ) any person, not otherwise subject to military law, who is a follower of or accompanies any portion of the Defence Forces which is on active service.

SPudula stop trolling.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

of course members of the RDF are not civilians

civilians are useful
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                  The PDF CO is the one REALLY in charge. Under him are the RDF officers. Under them are the RDF NCOs. Cadre are there to do paperwork and organise stuff. If you want to book a training room you'd go to cadre. If you want to plan training you'd go to a RDF officer.

Maybe your unit's cadre just doesn't trust RDF NCOs and officers?
                  It is the cadre's job to advise and act as account holders. RDF officers & NCOs are responsible/accountable for what happens within their coy.

Comment

As the man says in RDF units the CO is now the senior ranking RDF officer and especially in Corps units where the usual appointment of staff officer is held by a captain while the OCs rank is Commandant.

tricky one here though as the cadres OC is the staff officer and not the RDF OC.

Case in point 123 cav squadron reserve is the name of the unit but cpl xyz is not a reservist..he is actually belong to the PDF so is his parent unit the PDF attachment of 123 cav squadron or is he belong to brigade HQ..and who is his CO?
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

As the man says in RDF units the CO is now the senior ranking RDF officer and especially in Corps units where the usual appointment of staff officer is held by a captain while the OCs rank is Commandant.

tricky one here though as the cadres OC is the staff officer and not the RDF OC.

Case in point 123 cav squadron reserve is the name of the unit but cpl xyz is not a reservist..he is actually belong to the PDF so is his parent unit the PDF attachment of 123 cav squadron or is he belong to brigade HQ..and who is his CO?
                      I understand that large units - Inf and Logs Bns, Arty Regts, are commanded by a PDF Cft who is CO of both PDF and RDF troops, and units that are company size - Engr and CIS Coys and Cav Sqns - have a PDF Officer from the parent unit appointed to be OiC Cadre. In terms of Cadre staff their Units were always the RDF Unit.
                      "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
                      Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

My PDF CQ wears my Bn flash.

Hedgehog .....

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                          My PDF CQ wears my Bn flash.

Hedgehog .....

does he not have his own flash to wear

and your quiet generous to loan him your flash

why am I a troll

Comment

of course members of the RDF are not civilians

civilians are useful
                            .....:wink:

Comment

ah yes one of my better bon mots

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                My hole.

S88 of the '54 act

119.—Each of the persons mentioned in this section shall, for the purposes of this Act, be a person subject to military law as a man—
                                [GA]

( a ) a man of the Permanent Defence Force at all times,
                                [GA]

( b ) a reservist when—
                                [GA]

(i) he is called out on permanent service or in aid of the civil power, or
                                [GA]

(ii) he is called out for training, exercise or other duty under this Act, or
                                [GA]

(iii) he is voluntarily attending training, or
                                [GA]

(iv) he is undergoing treatment in a military hospital, or
                                [GA]

(v) he is employed on military service under the orders of an officer, who is himself subject to military law, or
                                [GA]

(vi) he is in uniform,
                                [GA]

( c ) subject to any general or special exemption made by the Minister (the proof whereof shall lie on the person claiming exemption), any person not otherwise subject to military law who is employed by or is in the service of any portion of the Defence Forces which is on active service,
                                [GA]

( d ) any person, not otherwise subject to military law, who is a follower of or accompanies any portion of the Defence Forces which is on active service.

SPudula stop trolling.
                                I have said this once but I obviously needs saying more clearly.

JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE SUBJECT TO MILITARY LAW YOU ARE NOT AUTOMATICALLY A SOLDIER.
                                Case in point - members of the meterological service employed at AME are still civil servants but are subject to military law.

So once again Where dose it say a reservist is a soldier or "not a civilian"

Does the Geneva convention say all persons subject to mil law are soldiers?
                                If it does has anyone told members of the met office?

RDFRA have attempted to get us classified as partime workers but did they succeed?
                                Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Working...
                                X