RTE : Exercise Slaney, 02/03/08 Army reserves train in Co Wicklow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Would say civvies on the N81 loved that !!!!
    Gardaí and PA's were stopping traffic at all the junctions to keep the convoy together, hope no one was in a hurry
    Last edited by Muzzle; 5 March 2008, 10:12.

Comment

The Key to partaking in a convoy on the N81 is to do it during rush hour. Heading north in the Morning, and south in the evening. Its the best way to maximise civvy stress levels.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The N81 in the AM backs up a mile or two south of the Embankment on Mondays-Fridays.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

There was a Garda at the junction coming down from the camp and two in Blessington. That was the only Garda involment that I saw. There was a PA on a bike who did a good job where he could.
          I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
          Who is number 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzle View Post
            Your name was on a green backpack there is another person with the same rank and surname...? ed. :wink:
            believe it or not there is.....

also the only thing i have with my rank on it is my bushy hat and my kit bag, and thats still says gunner....
            But there's no danger
            It's a professional career
            Though it could be arranged
            With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
            If you're out of luck you're out of work
            We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
              lads, we're getting away from the real point here, namely that there was this deadly trenchdown from the cemetary, it was like a pillbox. I dunno whose it was, but he must be an absolute legend.....

he was a legend indeed,
              built by the gingerest legend of a cpl, who made a sgt dig it for him..... now thats delegation
              But there's no danger
              It's a professional career
              Though it could be arranged
              With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
              If you're out of luck you're out of work
              We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

On a side subject, any word on who the new EO of 2 E Bde RDF is yet?

I' ve heard one name being mentioned alright, but haven't heard anything solid
                gold as yet
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Post hasn't been advertised yet, and it needs to be advertised for two months before they can hold interviews. So any names you have heard are just rumours

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                    Post hasn't been advertised yet, and it needs to be advertised for two months before they can hold interviews. So any names you have heard are just rumours
                    That's bizarre, seeing as it would have been known in advance when the previous
                    holder of the post was due to stand down.

Originally posted by kermit
                    Officer Records aren't just going to hold a Lt Col competition now, run another one later in the year, and 2 more next year. They'd have a heart attack.
                    Why not? Well at least when the Officers Board meets later this year, anyway.
                    Successors can surely still be nominated for those other Lt Cols who are due to
                    retire in the future?
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      It has been advertised. Closing date for applications 12 March.
                      "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        oh ps

well done Vickers.
                        Thank you. It was a team effort - what a team - almost 400

Well done to everyone who took part. It was a great success. Mistakes were made, as has been pointed our on this thread, but one of the reasons for conducting such an exercise is to learn by one's mistakes. The debrief/s should capture the lessons learned.
                        "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• Yep the debrief certainly is throwing up a few things.

There were a number of 2 & 3 stars from tpt that, since they are not drivers, were used as lackies to clean the toilets etc. Ok trellheim, I know its good enough for the "prima donnas" to get the job and as one of the lads that had to do it said "someone had to do it". None the less it shows that there is a bigger picture and some thought is needed to ensure that the lads behind the scenes are not neglected.
                          Did any of you notice the sespool/shower block was cleaned?

Also, on the tpt end a number of safety regulations violations came to light. Some were due to willingness of certain drivers to bend the rules for the good of the excercise others were just over sight. However one particularily dangerous night manoeuver should not have been allowed. Again I personally blame the driver for being over zealous to please. They got away with it but if things had gone pear shaped you can bet it would have been the end of the ex for all.
                          Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• well holy god... transport had to work, was this not a paid ex ? they wer'nt the only ones who had to clean. myself personally i've always liked the s+t they bring me places
                            :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

• Originally posted by luchi View Post
                              Yep the debrief certainly is throwing up a few things.
                              There were a number of 2 & 3 stars from tpt that, since they are not drivers, were used as lackies to clean the toilets etc. Ok trellheim, I know its good enough for the "prima donnas" to get the job and as one of the lads that had to do it said "someone had to do it". None the less it shows that there is a bigger picture and some thought is needed to ensure that the lads behind the scenes are not neglected.
                              Did any of you notice the sespool/shower block was cleaned?
                              Minor correction on that: NCO's and troops from every unit were used used as lackies to clean up the sticking mess that everyone else left of them. Some units didn't provide the NCO's and/or Privates asked of them though.

Those in charge of these lackies didnt take charge and left them sitting on their arses wondering WTF was going on 90% of the time and I would imagine some of those involved esp the recruits were reconsidering their place in the RDF.

2 things stand out from that. No one has the balls to stand up to the PDF making the RDF scrub the camp alot harder then the PDF ever have to. All the units were NOT made responsible for the state of their billets after pulling out.

As for "did someone have to do it"? No they didn't, everyone should have been on the ground not in the billets to mess them up.
                              Last edited by Muzzle; 7 March 2008, 16:06.

Comment

• A: some of mine were cleaning and scrubbing as well. As you say ... someone has to do it and those doing it always feel neglected. My own role in the Ex wasn't particularly glamorous either but the work still needs to be done.

B: As for the second, I hope you'll agree that this is not the forum for those complaints... Issues like that deserve a written note that is dealt with by higher. What good does airing them here do ?
                                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                                X