RTE : Exercise Slaney, 02/03/08 Army reserves train in Co Wicklow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Duffman View Post
    I agree, thats one thing that really gets my back up, they seem to think of the RDF as contract cleaners, leave things in rag order then get the RDF to fix it up when we arrive, be it billets (anyone remembers the recent incident on the NATO T ex with GPMGs being given over to us in a near U/S state and expected to have them back glistening) or anything else!
    Do you remember the billets in the Curragh? The first lot we stayed in? That would be a key example.

Although a certain officer in the BTC stood up for the troops recently. The billets were in rag order and the officer wen to the Q, told him it was unacceptable and told us that it wasnt our mess to clean. Got to say I admire that officer.
    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• Yeah but even those werent as bad as the shit hole that was tralee! They Expected spotless billets when everytime you closed a door bits off the roof would fall to the floor!
      "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        It's RLSB.

Reserve Logs Support Battalion
        Dunno why people feel the need to insert the word Reserve into the unit titles, as in
        XX Reserve Inf Bn

Each unit has a unique number identifying it, e.g; 1, 2, 4, 31, 62, 54 Arty Regts.
        The latter three are Reserve units...
        Cause as per DFRs that is the name of the unit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffman View Post
          Yeah but even those werent as bad as the shit hole that was tralee! They Expected spotless billets when everytime you closed a door bits off the roof would fall to the floor!
          the black bags you mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by spider pig View Post
            Do you remember the billets in the Curragh? The first lot we stayed in? That would be a key example.

Although a certain officer in the BTC stood up for the troops recently. The billets were in rag order and the officer wen to the Q, told him it was unacceptable and told us that it wasnt our mess to clean. Got to say I admire that officer.
            Yes, she is a good officer - one of the new breed we need in the new reserve. but are we a little off subject?

For the bde occupation of Coolmoney all units were tasked by Bde to supply pers to the Logs cell for fatigues - who they supplied was up to the individual unit/sub unit. Dev you are right - according to CS4 (RDF) there is a Camp Coy in the 62 Res LSB (in the East) - even if it was operational why should the pers in it clean up after you? What Bde needed was a work party which was not part of the ex. Every effort was made to get those pers up to see the main part of the ex.

Ex Slaney was a major advance for the RDF. D Res was very impressed. The East demonstrated that it was capable of providing a credible reserve. It was built on exercises conducted since the formation of the new reserve by the RDF Bde Staff. It was always the intention that (despite the cost - monetary and esp. commitment) troops would be on the ground. It involved great input from Bde HQ Res staff - RDF offirers and RDF NCOs. From an realistic point of view the Bde staff were concerned with 2 main issues - the ex and running the event especially from a logs point of view.

To answer a number of other points - there was enough PLCE for all attacking troops as well as helmet covers. If this was not used is down to the individual unit/sub unt (and, dare I say, to the commanders on the ground- NCO and offr)

Again, thanks to all who took part, it was a team effort, from top to bottom. As Headhog stated, we have set a benchmark. We can only advence from here.
            "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• I was saying that Camp Staff is responsible for some aspects of supply, not cleaning up after people. IMO there should never be a need for fatigues - it takes away from the personal responsibility to clean up after yourself. I can think of 2 excepts - kicthen duties (is the Glen front of house yet?, the tender has been put out) and guard/security duties.In my time I've been on & headed a number of fatigue parties. IMO it is up to (and the responsibility of) the individuals using accomodiation to keep it clean. When it being handed over, it should just take half an hour to an hour, to do the finishing touches and remove all kit.On one occasion I pulled my fatigue party out of a building I was supposed to be responsible for cleaning because of the state of the place - it was easy to say who was responsible as it happened to be female accomodiation.____________________________________ _____Any way congratulations to all on a successfully conducted Exercise!
              Last edited by DeV; 9 March 2008, 10:47.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vickers View Post
                It was always the intention that (despite the cost - monetary and esp. commitment) troops would be on the ground
                If that was the intesion why didnt it happen in the end?

Comment

• As distinct from a TEWT/CPX I believe, where there are no troops being exercised in the field apart from the staff, so troops >were< on the ground. This is what you saw on the RTE clip.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Just seems odd to me that the company had to be billeted for the weekend. There was so much potential to exercise the company in much then just the attack. If the attack was the one and only goal then why wasn't it practised more then just the once (on the preweekend)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vickers View Post
                      To answer a number of other points - there was enough PLCE for all attacking troops as well as helmet covers. If this was not used is down to the individual unit/sub unt (and, dare I say, to the commanders on the ground- NCO and offr)

what is all this crap about plce, the guys who had to stay out on the hill, not in a nice warm camp had to make do with 58pat (and back pack), because there was no plce available to them, and not one of them complained about it,

so seriously everyone should stop whinging about it,

regards

TC
                      But there's no danger
                      It's a professional career
                      Though it could be arranged
                      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                      If you're out of luck you're out of work
                      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

• Did anyone get any pics of the exercise? That link doesnt actually work for me so I didnt get to see much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Muzzle View Post
                          Just seems odd to me that the company had to be billeted for the weekend. There was so much potential to exercise the company in much then just the attack. If the attack was the one and only goal then why wasn't it practised more then just the once (on the preweekend)?
                          The attack was great for filming, and was IMHO a useful training tool, but would it not have been better to just have told the defending force to go into the glen area, and get lost, then send out everyone else on patrols to find them, and then mount an attack?

Or am I missing something?
                          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            Check out the titles on the top of any of the newer TI's, etc, relating to the Corps...
                            Yes the syllibus is drawn up by T&VMS which is the transport and vehicle mainenance school which AFIK is part of Logistics Base which in turn is part of DFTC. So has little really to do with "the corp". Basically Tpt Corp is gone.

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Camp Staff, RLSB
                            I think "Camp Staff" are the PDF employed full time in the camp. I think you should be refering to Camp Coy 62RLSB that should have supplied the cooks and camp staff for the weekend.
                            By the way the cleaning duties that I refered to were on the saturday and I think there was only about 6 bods detailed.
                            I don't see why fatigues would not be part of the normal running of an excersise. Wont someone have to do fatigues in Chad. It is part of running the army and not just a way to let some sherk personal responsibility.
                            Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                            The attack was great for filming, and was IMHO a useful training tool, but would it not have been better to just have told the defending force to go into the glen area, and get lost, then send out everyone else on patrols to find them, and then mount an attack?

Patrols were sent out on Sat night.

If you look at media footage of Iraq and Afgan. THe rebbles are in the hills but the soldiers are in Bks. When the Recci patrols find the rebs the main body is mobilised. Is this not what was done? So Slaney was kinda realistic from that point of view!!
                            Last edited by luchi; 10 March 2008, 16:12.
                            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                              would it not have been better to just have told the defending force to go into the glen area, and get lost, then send out everyone else on patrols to find them, and then mount an attack?

The result of that would have been Gunners turning up in Blessington with rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry View Post
                                The result of that would have been Gunners turning up in Blessington with rifles
                                Probably not the first time thats happend know you lot

Comment

Working...
                                X