Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indo Article - DF Locations.

INDO

Mother of three, Pte Sandra Maher of B Company, 8th Battalion from Drogheda pictured at the Reserve Defence Force's annual training camp at the Glen of Imaal yesterday. Picture: Garry O'Neill

FALLING numbers are forcing a rethink on the shape of the Reserve Defence Force to make it more attractive to potential new members.

Fewer people have the time or inclination to take part in voluntary activity in an affluent society, Defence Minister Michael Smith admitted yesterday.

Attending the Reserve's annual training camp at the Glen of Imaal, Co Wicklow, the minister emphasised there was a need for a new organisation to be developed to reflect those realities and to ensure the force remains viable for the future.

Mr Smith said he had not yet received final proposals on the amalgamation of FCA units in line with the recommendations from a review body. But he intended to respect the deep roots which had been put down in so many towns, villages and communities throughout the country.

The White Paper on defence had recognised that a notable and important feature of the existing FCA organisation was its countrywide, geographical spread and he aimed to ensure this aspect would be retained.

The minister said he was seriously considering a recommendation from the study group that reservists be sent overseas on peace support missions as is common practice in other countries.

Guaranteeing the job security of civilians who volunteered for overseas service was also being examined.

This could include the introduction of legislation safeguarding their employment prospects while they served with the United Nations overseas.

Also under consideration is the integration of the Reserve into the Permanent Defence Force.

The minister said the investment programme for the Reserve this year included refurbishment works at Coolmoney Camp in the Glen of Imaal as well as Kilbride and Kilworth Camps, Bere Island and a number of other barracks and posts.

Tom Brady
    Security Editor

Re: Reserve force eyes foreign legion in bid to boost its membership

INDO

The minister said the investment programme for the Reserve this year included refurbishment works at Coolmoney Camp in the Glen of Imaal as well as Kilbride and Kilworth Camps, Bere Island and a number of other barracks and posts.

Thats stretching it a bit, its not like the PDF dont use these camps
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

the PDF rearly use Bere Island, what about doing up Tralee and Lahich (excuse spelling) barracks
      Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
      http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

tralee is beyond help..Lahinch needs a bulldozer. The golf course needs a new car park.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Lahinch, Bere Island and Tralee are all nice places to go for a good week of socializing....Kilworth is the only place in the south that is really suitable as a training facility. It should be turned into a Brigade training camp where all training is conducted including full time PDF and RDF recruit and promotion training. The training depot should be moved to Kilworth and all courses conducted by them. It would make all training more efficient and it would raise the quality of training if everybody was trained in exactly the same fashion by the same people. The same thing could be done at facilities in the West and the East.

Comment

I was there while smith was giving the speech. He was talking about centralising training etc. I think this is a great idea. However Im opposed to closing some of the border installations. There is ample scope for closing some of the places down south.

Are there many military barracks/posts in the west and south?? can someone give me a number. I was told that the military authorities are going to close 4 more installations soon but which i dont know.

Comment

I will tell you Andy the places that wont close:
              Athlone,2 in Dublin,Dundalk,Finner,Limerick & Cork.
              Everywhere else is under treat.

Comment

theres more then 1 in cork that defently wont close as you cant do on the ground training in collins's

Comment

If it were up to me there would be Sarsfield in Limerick, Collins in Cork and Kilworth Camp (much expanded and improved). Everywhere else in the south would be sold off. In the west I would keep Finner Camp, Athlone, Galway and 1 large range/training facility. The Curragh, Glen of Imaal along with Cathal Brugha and McKee would also stay. There would be a need for some facilities in the border areas if we had a border but since the EU solved that problem, we don't really need them anymore. Gormanston is a total waste of money and is not needed.

Comment

RE: Andy

Andy,

I heard a rumour that Longford and Mullingar are due to go next....
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Close down Cathal Brugha and McKee. Sell the land at commercial rates and build a new barracks outside the city limits.

Comment

All well and good, but then what will you do for troops to quell insurgency in the city centre?

:D

Comment

The same as they do now. They get on transport and move to the location. Think about what you are saying and think of the logistics required for both types of location. While you are at it look at the location of the barracks in conjunction to the size of the city when they were originally built. ie they all circled the city.

Comment

That's what I meant, the barracks were on the outskirts of the city when they were built anyway, but the DF inherited barracks from what was a force of occupation, and a factor in their location was having trrops in place to deal with rebellion. I think it's safe to say this should no longer be a consideration.

Comment

In Dublin the barracks are all near to the canal, Catha Bruagh, Collins, for ease of transport in the 18th cewntury when they were developed, but now the M-50 is possiby a more modern analogy.

However, I'm pretty sure the barracks contain listed buildings, and thus would be impossible to sell off at commercial rates.

Comment

Working...
                              X