X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exo1
    replied
    Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
    I served on teh border and this report is BOLLOCKS.
    With the greatest of respect, being part of a reinforcement on rotation upto the border does not qualify as "served on the border" in the context of that report. If Im understanding it correctly, its is referring to the permanently garrasioned troops, who have to live there too... What annoys me to no end is that noone from the border units (permanently stationed) for my time there ever cribbed or whinged about conditions or any of the other elements specific to the border region... the only whinging girls I saw were from the reinforcements, who were from units that will remain anonomys...

You see, unless you served with a permantly garrisoned unit there, you cant fully understand everything that goes on behind the scenes nor should you have to... HOWEVER!!!... whilst noone from the border units has asked for any recognition, which does not come for the great work done, I would ask that people show a little respect for those who manned those posts!!... I dont care for a medal!!.. I do care for my bother soldiers who did the job with me, and if theres any soldiers reading this, they will understand!!... As for the rest, if you wanna disrespect any units, do it to those units who deserve it!!!!... theres plenty that fit the bill, and NONE of them are Batts 27 through to 29!!....

Exo...

Leave a comment:

• Connaught Stranger
    replied
    Originally posted by spudula View Post
    Cause these days they give out free money if you complain about ANYTHING in the DF.

And back in those days they would have been told (rightly) to shut the fudge up and get on with it..................

it'd nearly be worth taking a case over PTSD for being in the butts when the gpmg is firing cause I wasnt supplied with body armour and a helmet and a ricochet hit my trousers.

How strange in my day the butt party were either removed from the butts or under cover in the target shed which was part of the concrete butt structure during the firing of the falling plates section. We were never issued with body armor but we were carrying our issued helmets at all times in the butts. (I can say that they were not worn all the time.)

If what you claim is true it demonstrates a serious lack of judgment upon the Officer I/C, NCO i/c and yourself for not voicing your concerns.

Was the ricochet that hit your trousers an "inner" or an "outer"

Connaught Stranger.

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    Cause these days they give out free money if you complain about ANYTHING in the DF.

And back in those days they would have been told (rightly) to shut the fudge up and get on with it..................

it'd nearly be worth taking a case over PTSD for being in the butts when the gpmg is firing cause I wasnt supplied with body armour and a helmet and a ricochet hit my trousers.

Whilst I dont agree with the report

I at least served there- I can remember the place and conditions just as described

you however didnt

so how can you be giving us your expert opinion on this matter

Leave a comment:

• spudula
    replied
    Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
    I find this report to be a load of rubbish for many reasons, but, I cannot see how any ex-member of the Defence Force in the period 1960 - 1970 - 1980 could make such ludicrous claims or even back them up with any proof, have they ever heard of the "Statue of Limitations"?? Why have the waited so long to bring this up.

Connaught Stranger.

Leave a comment:

• Connaught Stranger
    replied
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    No just ancedoctal evidence. ONE have in the recent past expanded its accomodation outside Dublin.

Also there is no mention of this report on their website.
    I find this report to be a load of rubbish for many reasons, but, I cannot see how any ex-member of the Defence Force in the period 1960 - 1970 - 1980 could make such ludicrous claims or even back them up with any proof, have they ever heard of the "Statue of Limitations"?? Why have the waited so long to bring this up.

With regards suicides, I know of some, committed by soldiers while in service, but, not of any being committed by soldiers who had left the Defence Forces, it would be very hard to establish that their death were caused by events in prior service.

Connaught Stranger.

Leave a comment:

• Groundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Victor View Post
    Is a lack of compassion a requirement for the DF or just this board?
    Compassion for what?

Having to conduct patrols in the rain? Do a 24 hour guard? Not being liked by IRA supporters?

Boo fcuking Hoo as someone else said.

Leave a comment:

• Duffman
    replied
    This issue got blasted in the herald and I agree 100% boo f*cking, i find it embarassing...these lads call themselves soldiers (who are supposed to be a hard and resiliant bunch by nature) and they cant handle a few insults being hurled at them. What would happen if it was bullets as opposed to harsh words, how are they expected to cope with that.

Its disgraceful that these "fighting men" are whinging over this, the Pakistani security guard on O'Connel Street puts up with more sh*t on a saturday night for less money and we dont hear them crying over it!

Grow a pair.

They should have a look at this and learn

Chopper goes around Sydney telling people to "Harden the Fuck up"Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M13f6D3jh2IHeath Franklin's Chopper in Make Deadshi...

Leave a comment:

• Victor
    replied
    Is a lack of compassion a requirement for the DF or just this board?

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    No just ancedoctal evidence. ONE have in the recent past expanded its accomodation outside Dublin.

Also there is no mention of this report on their website.

Leave a comment:

• Connaught Stranger
    replied
    I was jesting - the troops were doing a hard and difficult job. Long hours etc.

But the accomodiation in the areas nearer the border in the 90s at least was some of the best and most modern the DF had at the time.

The money wasn't great, it has improved.

Many former soldiers have ended up unemployed, homeless and have even taken their own lives as they haven't been able to adjust to civilian life. The DF provided rations, accomodiation, a "family" and when they left had nothing!

The creation of PSS and pre-retirement courses has helped prevent this.
    Hallo DeV

Can you give any concrete figures for the number of suicides committed by former members of the Defence Forces? by year and number?

The only "problem group" I remember ever being commented upon were from the 60's & 70's era who had come from State institutions like orphanages, enlisted in the military (another state institution they felt comfortable with,) and at the end of their service left to fend for themselves in civvie street often with tragic consequences.

As for being unemployed and homeless, this could be said about those who had developed a liking for the bottle, but probably would have drank no matter what their circumstances.

For the majority, I believe the military would have taught a man how to conduct himself, in a clean and tidy manner and a healthy respect for the law and public order and a good chance to get on in civvie street.

And of course the creation of an Association with accommodation for former soldiers is a great help, (pity the first one was in Dublin though, which would have been very little benefit to men who had served their lives in the North-west, South-east, or in the center of the country. Could somebody please say how many such places exist in the country today?

Connaught Stranger.

Leave a comment:

• B Inman
    replied
    I spent 3 months in Dundalk in 74.... accomadation was a prefab 40 bunks, 20 over 20, heating was gas but most of the heaters did not work and it was freezing. Web equipment was no existant 39 pattern web belt 44 pattern helmet and ww11 respirator bag with a more modern type respirator... cant remember the type. If it rained we had poncho's but the water ran off the end and drenched your lower legs...

I never suffered harrassment but I was living in... commonsense meant that we stayed out of certain pubs "Kays Tavern" is one that comes to mind.. if you did wander in by accident the "souviners of Long Kesh" displayed on the walls and the hostile stare of everyone in there would give you a hint that it might be better to choose another place for a drink.. At this time long hair was in fashion for gents and the only people with short hair were soldiers and Gardai... so we were noticable....

In 77 3 months in Cootehill.... accomadation was cramped but modern... it was a seminary for missionary priests and had being taken over by the DF..
    The post was about a 20 minute walk out of Cootehill at Tanagh.... After Cootehill... Monaghan the barracks was not long open and was state of the art.. accomadation was great... as a Cpl I had my own bunk and most of the rooms were 4 or 6 man. Senior NCO's had rooms on the top floor of the NCO's mess..
    At this time there was a Cav Det there from the 1st Cav Sqn in Fermoy who rotated every couple of months... they had AML 60s I don't remember any 90,s
    Last edited by B Inman; 7 March 2008, 22:28.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    I was jesting - the troops were doing a hard and difficult job. Long hours etc.

But the accomodiation in the areas nearer the border in the 90s at least was some of the best and most modern the DF had at the time.

The money wasn't great, it has improved.

Many former soldiers have ended up unemployed, homeless and have even taken their own lives as they haven't been able to adjust to civilian life. The DF provided rations, accomodiation, a "family" and when they left had nothing!

The creation of PSS and pre-retirement courses has helped prevent this.

Leave a comment:

• Groundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Exo1 View Post
    Great stuff from the experts who served on the border.... well done guys... great imput!!...
    I served on teh border and this report is BOLLOCKS.

Leave a comment:

• Connaught Stranger
    replied
    Sounds like the Glen up to untill around 3 years ago except they didn't have the pot-belly's and the dining hall, the area around the BTW was concrete.
    Yeah but many people who went to the Glen were on a visit and got out for good behavior

We on the other hand were condemned to a life of misery, Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo.

Connaught Stranger

Leave a comment:

• Exo1
    replied
    Great stuff from the experts who served on the border.... well done guys... great imput!!...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X