Which Barracks Should Close Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Barracks Should Close Next?

I doubt it. Its in a city and is the hq of one of the main inf bn's. If any of the 12th BN barracks were to go it would probably be Kickham in clonmel is there much of that place left that they haven't sold off yet?. Purely speculation on my part though.
    Sarsfield is loosing its sports field though to an adjoining school so maybe.... Only willie knows.
    Mc Kee Dublin
    1.68%
    Cathal Brugha Dublin
    9.24%
    Columb Bks Mullingar
    5.04%
    Connolly Bks Longford
    8.40%
    Aiken Bks Dundalk
    2.52%
    Cavan Bks
    4.20%
    Monaghan Bks
    4.20%
    Rockhill
    8.40%
    Lifford
    8.40%
    Castlebar
    5.04%
    Galway
    0.84%
    Tralee
    15.13%
    Limerick
    2.52%
    Clonmel
    9.24%
    Kilkenny
    15.13%

The poll is expired.

Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
    Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
    do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Originally posted by happenin View Post
    Willie has done great things for the df in limerick. The barracks is looking well at the mo and is still being renovated. After years of neglect its finally improving there. No complaints about willie from me.
    :confused::confused::confused:

When was the last time you were in the Barracks? Limerick is going to Shite. Yeah, new Dining hall & mess for those who don't do any real training but try finding a training room to do weapons training in - or give a lecture - or do anything. I've seen weapons lectures given in corridors with people walking through those corridors having to step over those trying to strip weapons.

Externally everything looks fine - that is cause they have filled up all the old training rooms with crap and now noone can use them.

Willie has done Sweet F%^& all for the DF in Limerick. The PDF have been drafted in the last 2 years to try and cover the increasingly pitiful numbers of Reservists left in Limerick. I remember days when they had 3 full Companies of Reservists walking down O' Connell st. Last week they managed to scrape together Half a company.
    Last edited by Docman; 27 March 2008, 22:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
      . I've seen weapons lectures given in corridors with people walking through those corridors having to step over those trying to strip weapons.

i feel your pain, our lecture rooms are now a bed room for the cadre, and a lecture hall that we cant use when we have wpns...

i once had to give a gpmg lecture under a shed where the only source of light was a coke machine....
      But there's no danger
      It's a professional career
      Though it could be arranged
      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
      If you're out of luck you're out of work
      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
        ii once had to give a gpmg lecture under a shed where the only source of light was a coke machine....
        COORRECTION: it was a lucozade machine

(happy barry)
        But there's no danger

Comment

When was the last time you were in the Barracks? Limerick is going to Shite. Yeah, new Dining hall & mess for those who don't do any real training but try finding a training room to do weapons training in - or give a lecture - or do anything. I've seen weapons lectures given in corridors with people walking through those corridors having to step over those trying to strip weapons.

Externally everything looks fine - that is cause they have filled up all the old training rooms with crap and now noone can use them.

Willie has done Sweet F%^& all for the DF in Limerick. The PDF have been drafted in the last 2 years to try and cover the increasingly pitiful numbers of Reservists left in Limerick. I remember days when they had 3 full Companies of Reservists walking down O' Connell st. Last week they managed to scrape together Half a company.
          Ya its been a while alright.
          Didn't realise it was that bad.
          Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
          Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
          do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

COORRECTION: it was a lucozade machine

(happy barry)
            I'll be happy when we aren't relying on the nice people who make lucozade machines to provide lighting for lectures.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
              I'll be happy when we aren't relying on the nice people who make lucozade machines to provide lighting for lectures.
              me too
              But there's no danger

Comment

i feel your pain, our lecture rooms are now a bed room for the cadre, and a lecture hall that we cant use when we have wpns...

i once had to give a gpmg lecture under a shed where the only source of light was a coke machine....
                WTF ??? A room is provided for a BOS, etc., when on duty. What do they need rooms in the
                unit lines for ???
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Sounds like a large barracks not a million miles from me
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

There are plenty of training rooms. I shall send you a PM.

Comment

If any of the 12th BN barracks were to go it would probably be Kickham in clonmel is there much of that place left that they haven't sold off yet?. Purely speculation on my part though.
                      Wouldn't bet on it given Clonmel hasn't lost an inch of ground has Reserve HQ stationed there and classes of recruits and other courses constantly moving through the place.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

i heard rumour that a 3rd BN barracks or a 12th BN barracks could be on the chopping block
                        and its the ones not to far away from each other
                        Last edited by madmark; 28 March 2008, 13:41.
                        Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by madmark View Post
                          i heard rumour that a 3rd BN barracks or a 12th BN barracks could be on the chopping block
                          and its the ones not to far away from each other
                          If the 12 Bn Bks is in Clonmel then I have heard the same rumour. Not too sure of the truth but if two of us heard it!
                          I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

There isn't enough room in the Curragh for the rest of the 3rd Bn. They are also unlikely to close the Curragh, and move everyone to Kilkenny.

Comment

There are plenty of training rooms. I shall send you a pm
                              That there are.However they are currently full of lockers as the old gym is being converted into a new locker room for the pdf companies in bks.Pdf recruits coming to Limerick during the summer so hopefully the problem should be sorted by then.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                              X