No announcement yet.

Consultants to report on DF Medical Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just reading this thread now. One of my NCOs was telling me that he did his PNCO course with a guy in the medics in the East who was training to be a shrink. Said he saw him about two years ago and he is qualified and all, but he is happy enough being an NCO.

I just wondered if you have to automatically be promoted to a commission because you have the qualification or can you be happy enough being an NCO?

Comment

• I am not sure how a commissioning works in the RDF but if he was in the PDF one would imagine that he would be commissioned.

I would imagine that one of his officers have mentioned it to him because it sounds strange that they wouldn't. Or maybe he is not interested in doing it because he would probably be in a position whereby his talents and qualifications would be used by the PDF but he won't take the hit in his pocket?

Or maybe as has been mentioned before he would be wasted as an officer because there would be no role for him. So he is skipping on being an ossifer because he is happy where he is...but I don't know the guy so it wouldn't be fair to comment.

Comment

• In the RDF you qualification is only recognoised in te relevant corps.

Thus a doctor would need to go to medics to get comissioned, which stands to reason.
        So if you want for the DF to use your tallents you must be prepared to do so on their trems.
        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Well from what I gather the guy is in the medics in the east, so that should put him the right corps.

But like Jonesy said, maybe he won't go for it because the drop in money compared to what he would make in civvie street is too much. Which, is probably one of the key factors in why the DF Medical Corps is not attractive to people with the right qualifications.

And if someone has spent x number of years in college, then they should be entitled to go seek the best job for themselves with the best pay. That goes without saying.

Comment

• If he wants to be an O then he can but its up to him.
            Just like many other qualified pers who could be Os in one corps but choose to serve in another.

But an RDF officer only gets paid on FTT just like the rest of us.
            So for him there would be no differnce to his civvi pay,
            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              Spoke to a cousin of mine who is a dentist about the positions when they were advertising for dentists last.
              The money he would earn in the df is miniscule compared to what he would get in civvy st(even in the UK) and the experience wouldn't be half as useful to him.
              i have a friend who is a dentist in the RAF and he thinks the opposite.

he takes pride in being able to offer dental treatment that soldiers actually need - not just the dental treatment they can afford if they were civvies.

he also did a tour in Afghan where he treated many locals who had never seen a dentist in their lifetime and that was challenging.

he also experienced severe trauma dentistry dealing with casualties with severe facial injuries - something he wouldn't often see as a civvy dentist.

and given that the RAF paid in full for 3 of his 5 years training (they only take you on after your second year in training and make you a Capitan / Flt Lt straight away) he said it's the best thing he ever did was be a military dentist.

obviously he is pretty well set up for life in civvy street too when he retires.

i think the military can be a great place for the medical / dental profession and it should be encouraged and harnessed where possible.
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 18 June 2011, 23:25.
              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Problem in Ireland is our medical professions are full of greedy bastards, who

squeeze the ill and taxpayers for as much as they can thieve, and none for them

have the honesty to were a balaclava. So the DF can not match the money they

make in civvy street.

Comment

• fair one sofa.

most dentists i've seen are Majors and some Lt Cols - to make up the pay.
                  Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 19 June 2011, 18:35.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                    Problem in Ireland is our medical professions are full of greedy bastards, who

squeeze the ill and taxpayers for as much as they can thieve, and none for them

have the honesty to were a balaclava. So the DF can not match the money they

make in civvy street.
                    You will find and see there are greedy people everywhere even in jail .Basically the biggest paymasters for the medics are the State and VHI(state owned) who keep on paying out with no fuss and the medics charge as much as they can get away with.

Comment

• That's not exactly the point I was making here.

What I was trying to say was that there seems to be a big drop in salary that a doctor would get if they worked for the HSE.

I am talking about the starting salary here and not what someone would earn if they were in private practice. I think an officer salary would equate to roughly half of what that might be. This is an estimated guess by the way...but I am sure that the difference in pay is five figures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
                        That's not exactly the point I was making here.

What I was trying to say was that there seems to be a big drop in salary that a doctor would get if they worked for the HSE.

I am talking about the starting salary here and not what someone would earn if they were in private practice. I think an officer salary would equate to roughly half of what that might be. This is an estimated guess by the way...but I am sure that the difference in pay is five figures.
                        The HSE equivalent is a SHO who would work in a hosp with no private work,basic sal +- colonel but with opp for OT.Heavy work on a shift pattern,most move on to other specialities and normally get a shortish contract to allw turnover of staff for training purposes,

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                          i have a friend who is a dentist in the RAF and he thinks the opposite.

he takes pride in being able to offer dental treatment that soldiers actually need - not just the dental treatment they can afford if they were civvies.

he also did a tour in Afghan where he treated many locals who had never seen a dentist in their lifetime and that was challenging.

he also experienced severe trauma dentistry dealing with casualties with severe facial injuries - something he wouldn't often see as a civvy dentist.

and given that the RAF paid in full for 3 of his 5 years training (they only take you on after your second year in training and make you a Capitan / Flt Lt straight away) he said it's the best thing he ever did was be a military dentist.

obviously he is pretty well set up for life in civvy street too when he retires.

i think the military can be a great place for the medical / dental profession and it should be encouraged and harnessed where possible.
                          He is a dentist in the UK.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            He is a dentist in the UK.
                            same principles apply surely?

training / experiences / pay?
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• See posts 110 & 116 supra.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                                See posts 110 & 116 supra.
                                yes - that is why i wrote what i wrote.

in the military the variety and experience is vast and the pay as officers is decent too.

the Irish DF pay well and have a unit deployed overseas helping people - which contradicts those posts.
                                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 20 June 2011, 00:14.
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X