Taxation will it ruin RDF ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxation will it ruin RDF ?

Will the commencement of camp money being taxed finally kill the RDF ?

Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
    Camp money was always taxable. Are you saying you didn't pay tax?

IMO, No, it will get rid of more of the timewasters and slim down the RDF.

Comment

Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
      Another refugeefrom Boreds.ie.

to answer your question, Yes.

Originally posted by Docman View Post
      Camp money was always taxable. Are you saying you didn't pay tax?

IMO, No, it will get rid of more of the timewasters and slim down the RDF.
      All income is taxable but all income isn't taxed.

Taxing the Reserve is just the latest phase in the strangulation of the DF. In 20 years time it will have died through lack of interest.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      Originally posted by hedgehog
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

I don't think it will have such a dramatic effect. Why???? ...

1. Because (in my experience) the vast majority of those who show up and attend most training are students who won't be effected by the Tax implications.

And 2. Because the new Grat system softens the blow a bit for those of us that are working.
        "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Comment

I dont know if it wil Kill the RDF but it sure is Pissin me off.

I applied for tax credits after being on Emergency for a while and I got my Credits for a few weeks ago but no sign of my Tax back!!! It is a hefty sum to so I am really annoyed!!!
          I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Given I did Cmp in October and was paid close on 800 euros and did a camp in the past few weeks and earned 335 for the same camp..why bother.

Tax fee allowances etc...bullshit.

Why should I be at a loss on a weekly basis to facilitate the DF should I chose to go on camp.

I already give up my annual leave to partake in excercises which warrant a full weeks wages ..now I am being taxed to the hilt on this choice.

have to give up more of my leave to make sure I get the grat eventhough I can commit to time over that which is required but may not be in the format laid out.

PAYE workers are being chased out of the RDF by the taxman and theres not a damn thing we can do about it.

Funny thing I was at a skill at arms camp prior to the brigade shoot and waht did I end up with..a runners up medal and a ****ing tax bill.

Its almost as if I was paying for the ammunition expended.

Glad it was only 5.56mm if it had been a heavy weapons course I would probably be in debt.

It will certainly alienate those on PAYE and any one in receipt of FAS grants CE schemes ,family income support is altogether finished.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I remember there was another thread on this topic.

I wish we had some kind of function that would help people search for topics already discussed.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                I applied for tax credits after being on Emergency for a while and I got my Credits for a few weeks ago but no sign of my Tax back!!! It is a hefty sum to so I am really annoyed!!!
                Once your tax credits are in order you generally get your emergency tax refunded in your next pay packet (for that employer)
                "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Concussion, If that is true then I am a happy Camper!!! Thanks,
                  I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

I wish we had some kind of function that would help people search for topics already discussed.
                    Although "taxman cometh" has been discussed peoples opinion of the effect has not.

There are many that are not so happy with the situation. Manly because they believed that the minister would have given some sort of tax exemption for RDF pay. A bit like we have for artists like Enya and Bono.............................

There are many of us that paid the tax man his due and many that did not but at the end of the day no one likes to pay tax.

I know that some of the lads now see it as a parttime job. A badly paid one at that! (Add up your total hrs commitment and devide it into your earnings and you will see what I mean.)
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

To answer previous post I got caught for tax last year, first time. Will be caught for 20% on all pay this year too. As stated bu others I am not impressed and my commitment will suffer.

There will be loads of students etc. But the NCO's and Officers are generally older and employed, this is where the biggest impact is and will be.

But then again all that will happen is they'll send what's left to train with PDF, loads of willing Privates, Troopers and Gunners, no old sweat NCO's and Officers getting in the way !

Is this the underlying plot to the re-org ?

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                      Another refugeefrom Boreds.ie.
                      How would you know unless you've been there too ?

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

Thank you for such a warm welcome
                      Last edited by johnny no stars; 9 May 2008, 22:18.

Comment

There will always be people who want to join as a way into/experience before joining the PDF. That won't change. There will always be young enthusiastic junior NCOs and ptes. Possibly even some young LTs. But when it comes to the "old sweats" and "dead wood" who probably have more experience than the rest of the RDF put together but now can't afford to take camp off work because it's no longer financially viable.. Well I'd see a lot of them leaving and I wouldn't blame them. And with them would go a lot of experience and knowledge.

I know people are going to say they should have been declaring it before and all that but justifiabley, they may actually see what little paid days they get as compensation and a thank you for the rest of the hours they put in.

It won't kill the reserve, it only has the potential to ruin it.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                        Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                        Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                        Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

when I joined in 1986 there was a cap of 7 paid days a year unless you were on an NCO/Std/Pot Officer course or the like.

The rest was volunteer.

The Gratuity is for
                          a thank you for the rest of the hours they put in
                          So you got caught for tax .....

well

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

From what I've heard the economy was in a pretty dire state in 1986 too. Things move on and expectations change. If they want a "professional" reserve and want to get it without basically starting afresh, they need to make it financially viable to all those involved.

Personally I've no problem with taxation, I'm a student and don't earn enough in one year to pay tax but I feel sorry for the likes of what hptmurphy has posted above.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Was in bks last night and the topic of paying tax came up . Basically it appears that anyone who applied tax credits against their RDF pay have recieved tax bills going back up to 5 years .

At least one sgt is now one the higher tax band and is not at all happy . He s the unit RDFRA rep and last night his advice was , if you take the 40 % hit dont try n claim it back as they ll only get you for any years you didnt pay tax .

Most of those who ve been hit for back dated tax are NCO s and are now having doubts about going on camp . IMHO opinion the whole tax issue will just make it less of an incentive to be an active serving member .

From my perspective i usually take time off unpaid to attend camp and the army pay just about covers my civvy wage . If i suddenly have to give up 40% then it makes a big diff to my monthly budget .
                              Last edited by ollie; 10 May 2008, 00:54.
                              Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Working...
                              X