Ending the Volunteer Ethos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending the Volunteer Ethos?

I thought I’d post this poll after reading some of the comments in the Taxation thread. If, as someone suggested, some people consider the RDF as a poorly paid part time job, is it time to end the volunteer ethos and move completely to paid training, like reservists abroad?
    Keep it as it is
    16.85%
    Payment for all time spent on RDF activity
    83.15%
    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

Part time Soldiers

In fairness why not get paid for it?? I know I put everything i Have into my unit trying to change it for the better but getting no where!!! PT has to come BUT WITH SUFFICIENT TRAINING. If living away from barracks use a civilian gym for training-- Army should pay for it or subsidise it at least(maybe after 18 months service or somthing). The hours iv put in getting class's ready and PT train outside..

All of the above are just my ideas,, any others out there!!!

Comment

Yeah, it bloody is!!!!!

Then maybe if the govt. have to pay for all our training they'll decide they want their money's worth out of us and start getting us to do things to earn it...............
      Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
        I thought I’d post this poll after reading some of the comments in the Taxation thread. If, as someone suggested, some people consider the RDF as a poorly paid part time job, is it time to end the volunteer ethos and move completely to paid training, like reservists abroad?
        I've always thought that all our time in the RDF should be paid if we were paid then the military could ask for and expect more and have a more credible force of 5000 paid part time well trained fit soldiers
        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

I dont know how to answer really. I like the Volunteer aspect but it causes people to leave. I would like to be paid for all training but then the wrong sort would stay just for the Money.
          I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

I voted yes as i've spoken some of the lads who are in the TA over here and in comparison they are a way waaaaaay more professional force than we are.
            If you want the right sort you have to pay em and support them properly just like they do over here. A massive thing is Sabre it pulls employers out and gives em a taste of mil life with a kind of teambuilding 48hr ex on the ground.
            Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

It would be ideal to be paid for all time spent with the RDF but, it's just not going to happen...

And volunteers have kept this organisation and individual unit's running throughout the years, it a disgrace that people rarely even acknowledge what some give up for the RDF, never mind them getting paid for it...

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                I voted yes as i've spoken some of the lads who are in the TA over here and in comparison they are a way waaaaaay more professional force than we are.
                If you want the right sort you have to pay em and support them properly just like they do over here. A massive thing is Sabre it pulls employers out and gives em a taste of mil life with a kind of teambuilding 48hr ex on the ground.
                Yes, that and tax breaks for employers who employ Reservists. But unfortunately, that ain't gonna
                happen here any time soon. As Kevin Myers is fond of saying, "the Government suffers from a lack
                of joined up thinking"
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Pay peanuts, get monkeys. As a former well paid taoiseach once said.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I've always thought that all our time in the RDF should be paid if we were paid then the military could ask for and expect more and have a more credible force of 5000 paid part time well trained fit soldiers
                    ]

Totally agree..But give as long as some will give it on the cheap on a limited scale the true devotees will lose out.

Student army..
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Now now, nothing wrong with students!
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                      Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                      Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                      Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                        Now now, nothing wrong with students!
                        no nothing wrong..we pay for your education..and then you want to cutof or means of payment...yeah nothing wrong with students..

We keep the reserve going while you have an academic life..we put in the field days while you have weekend jobs and visit mater and pater..we give the weekends for exercises while you have exams..and then when you do turn up you can't even be arsed to polish your boots , clean your kit or cut your hair and then you have the bollocks to **** off after a few years of education and hand it all back to us to held it all together while you were screwing the shit out of the sytstem to get an education which made you managers in Dunnes or McDonalds..and then have the moxy to come looking for a comission in light of that degree

Now you have my bollocks on the chopping block..what else would you like...

I have a great idea..**** off and get some life experience and the come back and look for where you think you should be and some who have had that will tell you whether you can have it or not!
                        Last edited by hptmurphy; 10 May 2008, 02:07.
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          no nothing wrong..we pay for your education..and then you want to cutof or means of payment...yeah nothing wrong with students..

We keep the reserve going while you have an academic life..we put in the field days while you have weekend jobs and visit mater and pater..we give the weekends for exercises while you have exams..and then when you do turn up you can't even be arsed to polish your boots , clean your kit or cut your hair and then you have the bollocks to **** off after a few years of education and hand it all back to us to held it all together while you were screwing the shit out of the sytstem to get an education which made you managers in Dunnes or McDonalds..and then have the moxy to come looking for a comission in light of that degree

Now you have my bollocks on the chopping block..what else would you like...

I have a great idea..**** off and get some life experience and the come back and look for where you think you should be and some who have had that will tell you whether you can have it or not!
                          i think murph is pissed off and in a way i agree
                          Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

I think that there are many devoted students and not all should be tarred with the same brush. Murph, if you read back over previous posts I've made I was actually agreeing that you and others like you were being screwed over. So here's an idea, read posts for what they are, not what you think they are.
                            Last edited by johnny no stars; 10 May 2008, 02:32.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Read the poll and see what it says.

Most reservist NCos are pisssed off to the bollocks having to go on exercises and give the majority of the time getting student swho don't attend on a regular basis up to speed on the basics but it is these these studensts who its more finacialyy viable for to do up to six weeks camps now under current taxation legislation while their peers are taxed to the hilt whilst try to whip them in to shape.

Yes there are some who do attend and make the effort , but out ihn the sticks where 3rd level eduaction means a move and transfers are the only life line. the studenst comeback to the parent units less than perfect in that while they may have transferred or been attached the skillsa re found to be somewhat wanting when it comes to corps specifics.

Yet some of those come on here becrying that they have missed out on training and blame parent units or attached units but never spare a thought for their country cousins who have kept the units going in their absence and lived with the drain on resources that these become.

Should we go back to the ' university units' of the past..should we get away from the school boy pastime ethos and make the reserve a realistic alternative income and deal with ist memebers on realistic income level rather than punishing them for their commitment?

As for my opinion of students... about sums it up

Many years ago I was travelling home in uniform .., got on the bus and some student decided it would be nice to take the piss..I was standing as there was no seating room left.

I informed the bus driver if a bye law outstanding from the emergency regarding service personel in uniform travelling on public transport being entitled to a seat.

It was taken to further discussion with the inspector who was an ex serviceman.

The Bye law was found and we re entered the bus.. to jeers from the student population..my retort being..get out of my ****ing seat

as the bus had exceeded its standing capacity after the incident I just waved at the gobshite standing in the station after we left.

We had been informed of the Bye law during recruit training in the likehood of such an event
                              Last edited by hptmurphy; 10 May 2008, 04:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X