This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish speaking unit in the RDF

I have heard through a sometimes unreliable source that there is an Irish speaking unit in the RDF. Does one exist and if so which unit?

Originally posted by lennon31 View Post
    I have heard through a sometimes unreliable source that there is an Irish speaking unit in the RDF. Does one exist and if so which unit?
    There was a Unit in Dublin, 20 Inf Bn that had an Irish speaking company. However that was wound up a few years ago and not replaced AFAIK. The 51 Cn Cois recruits from some Gaeltacht areas in Galway and Mayo and has a lot of Irish speakers, although it is not an offical Irish speaking Unit.
    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

A Coy, 12th Bn. Nobody else knows what the fcuk they're saying.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      Originally posted by hedgehog
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
        There was a Unit in Dublin, 20 Inf Bn that had an Irish speaking company. .
        E Company. Always had way more recruits than the other companies for some reason.
        Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

E company? They still around? Are they part of the 62 infantry?

Comment

E company? They still around? Are they part of the 62 infantry?
            In one form or another and some of the old Irish traditions are still hanging around like refering to certain ranks in Irish and attepts by senior NCO's to number off large groups in Irish (looks like the majority of people cant count more then 10 in Irish!!).

Comment

Some of us never left and are mods

Referring to someone's rank in Irish is not a tradition but a right under the Defence Act
              The Military Fainne is one of the few badges you can wear on your DPMs

Not being able to count in Irish is a moot point [ remind me next time we fall people in from outside the battalion to do the hAon, Do ,Tri, lesson ] and was not purely practiced by 1 Cn Cois or Complacht na bhFiann.

to answer the OP: There is NO official Irish speaking unit in the RDF. Complacht na bhFiann was amalgamated with the rest of the 20Bn into 62 Bn at the reorg in 2005.

There IS a DOD/DF Policy on Irish and this can be downloaded from defence.ie and should help you with your questions.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Whats the point of rattling off a load of stuff in Irish,

when the chances are very few of the participants understand it?

I used to do H.Q. Guard in the Ist Bn as an attachment sent from Castlebar
                the hand over on the beat was done in Irish.

I always looked to do the second turn as this meant I would not have to participate in the ceremony going on or the handing over coming off.

Learning the hand-over Parrot never appealed to me.

Even in the National school back in 1969, it was hard to get my tounge around it,
                I suppose taking it up at the age of 11 is part of the reason for being such a dismal failure to learn it.

Connaught Stranger

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  Not being able to count in Irish is a moot point
                  Not if somone is trying to dress off 50+ troops by height and repeatedly tries to do it in Irish!

Comment

In Fairness though, I have fairly good Irish but it would take even me a couple of seconds to think of the Irish for 47 or some such number. And considering now we are leaving in people who are not Irish what are we supposed to do with them??
                    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Does anyone want the hAon, Do, Tri lesson ?

Daichead a seacht is the phrase you are searching for, roared at the top of your voice "Beadh Amach E" to the SC

Face it - Every man or woman should be able to deal with On Dheis - Comhraigh. I'm not asking you for a conversation just for your number.

We've had this conversation many times before

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                        And considering now we are leaving in people who are not Irish what are we supposed to do with them??
                        Play nasty tricks on them, like telling them that their number is "madra"

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                          In Fairness though, I have fairly good Irish but it would take even me a couple of seconds to think of the Irish for 47 or some such number.
                          You have the time it takes everyone else to count from 1 to 46 to think of it...

Comment

The new Army Number sequence would make it easy .
                            instead of hAon a Naid a Cuig or whatever

Now it's
                            hAon ahAon ahAon a Naid a Naid a Naid a Haon

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              Face it - Every man or woman should be able to deal with On Dheis - Comhraigh. I'm not asking you for a conversation just for your number.

We've had this conversation many times before
                              Why should they? I don't expect people to use Polish for numbers even though it is far more common than Irish. I can't count to 100 in Irish and I don't expect anyone else to do so. Any NCO who attempts to pull a stunt like that under me will be in a world of trouble because the person who gives "On Dheis - Comhraigh" for anything more than 10 is only looking for trouble or trying to show everyone how smart they are!

I mean, you are talking about trying to save the language and you then get a language policy from the DoD that is guaranteed to kill it off. Fits in exactly with that muppet O' Cuivs anti-Irish Language policy.
                              Last edited by Docman; 15 May 2008, 01:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X