Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luchi View Post
    oh!

not. Its army food. It may be at the low end of the gourmet scale but it won't kill you.
    Not eating however poses a multitude of problems. The most basic of these being loss of concentration and irritability.
    I must say the army grub can be fantastic!!!! In fact some of it is better than I get at home. I know starving students that look forward to getting their canines into a nice sunday dinner!

The curragh in particular can have some delightful dining experiences!

Oh bring loads of sweeties! Not only good for morale etc a mars bar in the smock pocket can give you that boost you need to stay awake through your Admin Lectures.
    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post

The curragh in particular can have some delightful dining experiences!
      Thats what Mags was there for!

Comment

kit

Before anyone says it im a self confessed gear queer!!!
        you need a tactic smocks, have all your kit in it , tied to it, FIELD DRESSING,, I pers. ripped the lining out,, lads go mad bout it ya but for me it gives me more mobility with the arms and not as warm(norgie is in your cemo before somebody says what if you get cold a night). Rubber gloves for cleaning rifle,, shiting,, cooking and a million other reasons in between!!! Brings loads of em!! Bungees!!!
        the biggest thing i noticed on the course was the lad who stood out for everything,, a ****ning tosser of an lad who flew the run and push ups and was shit at everything else,, now dont get me wrong nothing wrong with that eveybody has faults but the fact that he didnt give a **** about anyones of us busted my balls.
        THERES NO ROOM FOR ME FEINERS- QUIT AND RTU IF YOU ARE A ME FEINER
        TEAM TEAM TEAM SECTION PLATOON SECTION PLATOON as your life depended on it.
        Pass the IT's before you go on the first weekend if possible- then you know your on the course.

The instructors are hard- but fair

the days are so long- but it ends

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
          I must say the army grub can be fantastic!!!!
          I don't disagree but I don't know how many times I've seen people not eat the grub because the don't like it.
          Thats ok on a weekend or on camp when you can go to the chipper and get what you do like.

But in the Glen there is no chipper.
          Mars bars may get you through the 3pm slump as it were but are no substitute for a square meal.
          Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

lads my 2 cents on all this is very simple....

your on a pots course, not selection, its not even remotely impossible to complete, 100s have done it before (and some total wastes of boots) have passed, so if you have an ounce of cop, and are alive (dont need tobe that fit ) then youll most likely pass

so dont panic.....

and enjoy it!
            But there's no danger
            It's a professional career
            Though it could be arranged
            With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
            If you're out of luck you're out of work
            We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

A grande latte mugachino of harden the F*ck up!

This helps with blisters, scratches, back being sore, mental issues such as being dis-affected with the organisation, being cold, wet, tired and hungry.

Drink a good strong mug of it every morning!
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Hi there
                A lot of this is relevant to any course; ie, you have to want to pass from Day 1, so come prepared, show interest,pull your weight, help your mates if they need it, don't suck up....concussion, I did the radio/GPMG share-the-hauling-duty thing ,too, but was told not to, when acting as Section Leader, as it interfered with the duty of section leader.Every one gets to be SL in turn so everyone gets a break from hauling the heavy stuff but gets to do twice the footwork of anyone else.So, don't carry them when acting as SL, simply rotate the duty so each man in the section takes his turn.
                regards
                GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  So, don't carry them when acting as SL, simply rotate the duty so each man in the section takes his turn

Yeah, good to make that point all right! Meant to add that if you have a radio operator - use them, don't try to juggle maps and comms unless you really have to
                  "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                    lads my 2 cents on all this is very simple....

your on a pots course, not selection, its not even remotely impossible to complete, 100s have done it before (and some total wastes of boots) have passed, so if you have an ounce of cop, and are alive (dont need tobe that fit ) then youll most likely pass

so dont panic.....

and enjoy it!
                    Bollox the new corporals course demands a high level of physical fitness and a good attitude!!! it is tough, ya its the rdf but its the toughest course you will prob do in the nco category-- I agree wasters got their stripes -it maddens me to such a point i wanna kill em-- not litterly (check spell)

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      Hi there
                      A lot of this is relevant to any course; ie, you have to want to pass from Day 1, so come prepared, show interest,pull your weight, help your mates if they need it, don't suck up....concussion, I did the radio/GPMG share-the-hauling-duty thing ,too, but was told not to, when acting as Section Leader, as it interfered with the duty of section leader.Every one gets to be SL in turn so everyone gets a break from hauling the heavy stuff but gets to do twice the footwork of anyone else.So, don't carry them when acting as SL, simply rotate the duty so each man in the section takes his turn.
                      regards
                      GttC
                      Current thinking is that section commanders carry the section radio as THEY are the ones who are gonna be calling for fire/medevac etc.If you have to fire rounds (outside of final assaults where you are gonna storm the enemy posn) you are doing your job wrong.You should be directing fire/ recceing enemy posns and calling for fire etc.The section does the whole winning the firefight thing.
                      p.s There is no radio operator in a section.Only in pln hq.
                      p.p.s . As section commander make sure you have a daysack to carry the radio set!
                      Last edited by apod; 6 June 2008, 17:40.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I disagee about the grey man - volunteer for everything, sing the loudest, be confident in everything you do
                        Disagree.be the grey man when not in appointment but make sure you work for those who are.When in appointment that is your time to shine.If you work for others they wil work for you.

You are there to become a leader and leaders stand out.
                        Agreed.

Stay at the back and encourage people rather than galloping off at the front.
                        Nope.You lead from the front at all times.Just dont show off.If you are stronger/fitter/faster remember you are only as fast as the slowest member of the team.Appoint a 2 i/c to drive form the rear.You lead.

Take the radio or the GPMG - its character building
                        Agree ,but only if you are fit enough to still do your main job.Leading.If that is in doubt dont make a fool out of yourself by being gung ho.You cant lead a team from the back!
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by riflemangundy View Post
                          Bollox the new corporals course demands a high level of physical fitness and a good attitude!!! it is tough, ya its the rdf but its the toughest course you will prob do in the nco category-- I agree wasters got their stripes -it maddens me to such a point i wanna kill em-- not litterly (check spell)
                          mate i agree it is tough, but the point im tryin to make is not to do your nut with it, because its not selection, and it is passable

and your not alone with wanting to make wasters 'go away'
                          But there's no danger
                          It's a professional career
                          Though it could be arranged
                          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                          If you're out of luck you're out of work
                          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Best piece of advice:

Don't take advice off everyone cause it'll confuse the f*ck out of ya
                            Pick 1 person you trust and take their advice
                            "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Llorrac View Post
                              Best piece of advice:

Don't take advice off everyone cause it'll confuse the f*ck out of ya
                              Pick 1 person you trust and take their advice
                              Now that is really profound.
                              If one were to take your advice and pick a person then then unless that person is you they could would be going against your advice.
                              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by riflemangundy View Post
                                Bollox the new corporals course demands a high level of physical fitness
                                It does in it's shite.

Comment

Working...
                                X