Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defined Role for RDF / Problems and solutions

My Two Cents

The time is near when once again RDF Units go on Annual Training. If present trends continue then it is likely that less than 4,000 will complete this training.
    From a high of 14,354 in 1998 to 8,792 in 2007, not many organisations can continue to function with a near 40% drop in personnel yet the RDF does. Worse still, the haemorrhaging continues, how long more will take more than an educated guess.
    The reason, lack of a defined role for the RDF. Yes, there is a clear “Mandate” for the RDF, you’ve heard the Ministers speeches, read the media reports and not one clear, defined, achievable goal exists. The key word here is achievable. The majority can forget overseas, the Integrated RDF have yet to complete one operational duty with their PDF counterparts after all their hardwork and commitment. If the Reservists cannot be trusted to operate domestically in a relatively benign security situation, how can they be sent overseas?
    There is no quick fix, the answers lie within the capabilities of the RDF.
    The Reservists are available on evenings and weekends. Highly motivated, highly adaptable, well educated and of a low age profile.
    An effective use of these capabilities is for the Integrated Reserve to take on all weekend duties currently fulfilled by the PDF. Staffing of Military Installations at weekends should be nearly exclusively RDF, every appointment from the gate police, comms, catering, guard, stand-to, drivers, BOS, Orderly Officer can be filled from the RDF. Additionally, CIT, ATCP, ATCA and ceremonial duties can be added when sufficient numbers become available. This is not new, in the past Reservists have completed some of these duties but on an ad-hoc basis. Training for these duties should be completed in year one of integrated training, assessed and signed off, the second year spent fulfilling these duties. A rolling schedule would mean that after year one, a constant flow of trained personnel would be available.
    The benefits to the PDF are clear, personnel released from these duties can be reassigned to training, MRE’s, overseas appointments etc. CS’s will be freed from the constant headache of balancing these appointments with training and other duties. This will bring more contact between PDF and RDF, eliminating differences and enhancing the partnership. An additional benefit to PDF personnel will be in the work/life balance, increasing morale.
    The benefits to the RDF would be more striking. The Integrated personnel will now have a defined role, and seen to become the operational arm of the RDF. This in turn will generate a large increase in the numbers applying for integration. The Non-Integrated Units defined role will become the training arm, to supply the Integrated units with high quality personnel. This will encourage recruitment and retention as an achievable goal is now very clear. After a number of years the Holy Grail of some Reservists will be finally achieved, overseas deployment for those who meet the standard. The Integrated personnel will be RTU'd after they complete their service further enhancing the Non-Integrated Units. This is an effective use of the resource that the RDF is.
    The Re-organisation was originally about this but it has become blurred to the point of confusion as to what meaningful role currently exists for the RDF.
    The question is, who will bite the bullet, stick up their hand and say this isn’t working, that the RDF should be allowed to fulfil the role they were formed for?
    Only time will tell, the clock is ticking and at the current rate of wastage there isn’t much left.
    Last edited by Saracen; 11 June 2008, 14:31. Reason: Incorrect figures
    Once more unto the breach, dear friends

Originally posted by Saracen View Post
    My Two Cents

...................... Staffing of Military Installations at weekends should be nearly exclusively RDF, every appointment from the gate police, comms, catering, guard, stand-to, drivers, BOS, Orderly Officer can be filled from the RDF. Additionally, CIT, ATCP, ATCA and ceremonial duties can be added when sufficient numbers become available. This is not new, in ................................... CS’s will be freed from the constant headache of balancing these appointments with training and other duties. This will bring more contact between PDF and RDF, eliminating differences and enhancing the partnership. An additional benefit to PDF personnel will be in the work/life balance, increasing morale. ........................................The Integrated personnel will be RTU'd after they complete their service further enhancing the Non-Integrated Units.
    This spells "part-time army". That was never the roll of the RDF/FCA
    This is an effective use of the resource that the RDF is.
    That maybe true butnot what the RDF was set up for.
    The Re-organisation was originally about this but it has become blurred to the point of confusion as to what meaningful role currently exists for the RDF
    Thats a matter of opinion.
    The question is, who will bite the bullet, stick up their hand and say this isn’t working, that the RDF should be allowed to fulfil the role they were formed for?
    Only time will tell, the clock is ticking and at the current rate of wastage there isn’t much left.
    Many have said that but all are slammed as "Nay Sayers"
    Int res has worked in some areas...............inf for example.#
    It has totally failed (in EBde anyway) in LSB, CIS and Eng. These are the areas that the DF say they are short. The trained people in these areas are what the DF wants but the DF cant compete with the open market. But also the trained people in these areas don't want a part time job.

Although the Int res has been sucessful in inf its time people listened to what is being said by the powers that be.

The DF needs people with Tech and medical skills. Not gate police, catering, guard, stand-to, BOS, Orderly Officer, CIT, ATCP, ATCA nor pers for ceremonial duties.

As for overseas FFs read the thread dedicated to that subject!!!!!!!!!
    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

just looking at it i see few problems
      did any one join the RDF or PDF to be a gate policeman or a duty member
      say it takes at least 10 the duties so you would need 20 for Saturday Sunday over 52 weeks of the year and no one wants to be on every weekend so every second week you need a pool of 40 or more when they reach the man days limit , pretty soon the integrated becomes on a par with the non integrated numbers wise ,if the limit of 42 says applies it will be hard to train them in any thing else so they will never see over sees . how is anyone going to explain to the boss why they are asleep on Monday because they were on a 24 hour or will the PDF take over on Sunday evening .
      "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

An effective use of these capabilities is for the Integrated Reserve to take on all weekend duties currently fulfilled by the PDF. Staffing of Military Installations at weekends should be nearly exclusively RDF, every appointment from the gate police, comms, catering, guard, stand-to, drivers, BOS, Orderly Officer can be filled from the RDF. Additionally, CIT, ATCP, ATCA and ceremonial duties can be added when sufficient numbers become available. This is not new, in the past Reservists have completed some of these duties but on an ad-hoc basis. Training for these duties should be completed in year one of integrated training, assessed and signed off, the second year spent fulfilling these duties. A rolling schedule would mean that after year one, a constant flow of trained personnel would be available

Members of the PDF would love this, it would give them the weekend off.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
          An effective use of these capabilities is for the Integrated Reserve to take on all weekend duties currently fulfilled by the PDF. Staffing of Military Installations at weekends should be nearly exclusively RDF, every appointment from the gate police, comms, catering, guard, stand-to, drivers, BOS, Orderly Officer can be filled from the RDF. Additionally, CIT, ATCP, ATCA and ceremonial duties can be added when sufficient numbers become available. This is not new, in the past Reservists have completed some of these duties but on an ad-hoc basis. Training for these duties should be completed in year one of integrated training, assessed and signed off, the second year spent fulfilling these duties. A rolling schedule would mean that after year one, a constant flow of trained personnel would be available

Members of the PDF would love this, it would give them the weekend off.
          I know lads who'd want to do a duty on the Sunday.
          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Dats the solid truth!!! Subes

Iv 1 for ya to go figure!!!
            What if your unit was doin as much as possible,, supporting the PDF in everything bar overseas??? Theres always somthing on for us if were not busy at work,, Doing duties is great we'd all do them but the Department only allocate a certain number of 'security days'. Secondly why bother your bollox giving up your spare weekend for 137euro if your a 3*,,, Lads be realistic,, People will only do so much without financial gain,,, 137 for 2 days in a barracks is far from a 'Gain'.

certain units withing the PDF see that they need the RDF but most dont,, ask a PDF Corporal or 3*??? ****ing sandbags!!! Ask a Sgt. who's in the orderly room or somthing along those lines who see's the requests going out to RDF units to do duties etc.!!! thers a unit in the south who relies massively on the RDF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
              I know lads who'd want to do a duty on the Sunday.
              Same here.

Comment

I'm sure there are people who would do it.However do they have wifes girlfriends, children. After Spending five days at work, would they want to spend another day working.

Comment

It's not like Recruit Training, it's 5 days where you go home at half 4 also take into the factor that that persons wife may work, kids go to school so they may not be in the house while you're in work during the week.

Plus, an extra 108 quid is always helpful to have in the bank account.

And there's really no need for Reserves to do CIT's, BST or any other ATCP duties, the PDF manages well enough to do the those tasks.
                  Last edited by Hello Alaska; 10 June 2008, 20:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Saracen View Post
                    The Reservists are available on evenings and weekends. Highly motivated, highly adaptable, well educated and of a low age profile.
                    An effective use of these capabilities is for the Integrated Reserve to take on all weekend duties currently fulfilled by the PDF. Staffing of Military Installations at weekends should be nearly exclusively RDF, every appointment from the gate police, comms, catering, guard, stand-to, drivers, BOS, Orderly Officer can be filled from the RDF. Additionally, CIT, ATCP, ATCA and ceremonial duties can be added when sufficient numbers become available. This is not new, in the past Reservists have completed some of these duties but on an ad-hoc basis. Training for these duties should be completed in year one of integrated training, assessed and signed off, the second year spent fulfilling these duties.
                    I once had the job of organising RDF to do duties in a PDF barracks - Who was on when, equipping, cover etc. etc.

My biggest worry - and took up most of my time - was ensuring that the people assigned to show up actually showed up. Happened more than once that they didn't. When I attempted to pursue these people, I was warned off by their Comdts, cadre etc. "Johnie shows up for everything and is a good boy and his mammy will kill me if I do anything". You know the usual crap.

Fortunately Integrated personnel have noone to hide behind and have learned the dreaded consequences of failing to show up for training.

Then again, from what I have seen and done, Integrated personnel doing duties is getting VERY common. In some places, they are the only RDF doing duties.

Is Integration working? This is not the place to discuss it - there is the "Integration Thread".

Comment

And there's really no need for Reserves to do CIT's, BST or any other ATCP duties, the PDF manages well enough to do the those tasks.
                      Speak for your own unit!You arent in the PDF long enough to know how other units are faring out with bodies or lack of!Also some units have more commitments than others.
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I agree with you there Saracen, However, I know of no Unit that has a turnout that would equal the Amount of people required to Run the Barracks for the Weekend. Unless you include Recruits, which you cant.

It is a good Idea, but the Mandays would come into it as well. (Unless they change that rule, and god I hope they do.)

I am someone who has the whole week and weekend to spare because I am much too lazy to get a real job at the moment, and to do this would be class as a part time job but I feel that could take away from the Volunteer aspect of the Organisation. Not so much that I would mind, but I do this for fun moreso than a job.

I agree it should and could be done, if every unit in a particular barracks supplied personnel to do it and some extras for the eejits who realise at the last minute that they want to go clubbing instead of doing a 24 hr guard.

We will take Collins' Barracks Cork for example.

the gate police - *
                        comms - I don't know how many lads are in CIS RDF in Cork but I doubt its a Huge contingent.
                        catering - Are there Army qualified Cooks in the RDF
                        guard - *
                        stand-to - *
                        drivers - I know a fe guys who would want to do this but not every weekend.
                        BOS - Units with Men in for Guard, Stand to and Gates would fight for ho gets to be BOS.
                        Orderly Officer - Units with Men in for Guard, Stand to and Gates would fight for ho gets to be BOO.

* Would take multiple Units to get people for these duties

While a great Idea it would require a level of cooperation I dont think exists in the RDF.
                        I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                          It is a good Idea, but the Mandays would come into it as well. (Unless they change that rule, and god I hope they do.)

While a great Idea it would require a level of cooperation I dont think exists in the RDF.
                          Mandays and budget.
                          According to PDFORRA web site the current basic pay for a 3* is €487.66. Now when we get a days pay we get 1/7 of the weeks pay hence one can deduce that members of the DF are paid for 7 days.
                          If you then bring in the RDF you are paying lads to do the days that you have already paid the PDF to do.
                          Apart from requiring an increase in mandays you will also need to justify the budget increase for paying 2 people to do the same job.
                          Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

From a high of 17,000+ in 1998 to 8,750 in 2008. These are fictitious numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                              Mandays and budget.
                              According to PDFORRA web site the current basic pay for a 3* is €487.66. Now when we get a days pay we get 1/7 of the weeks pay hence one can deduce that members of the DF are paid for 7 days.
                              If you then bring in the RDF you are paying lads to do the days that you have already paid the PDF to do.
                              Apart from requiring an increase in mandays you will also need to justify the budget increase for paying 2 people to do the same job.
                              Ah, I didn't think of that at all!!! Still I would like man-days increased because I am nearly out and I wanted to do Bere Island Duties this year but I can't Justify not being paid as I would then be in the hole.

Do the PDF not get paid more when they do duties such as Guard and other things like that?

Originally posted by kermit
                              Try Nil.
                              Ah, that would explain why I don't know any!!!
                              I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X