Ireland in Staff School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland in Staff School

So I'm trogging through the final week of the Army Staff school and we begin our graduation staff exercise planning for a UN sponsored, US led coalition to prevent the fictional country of Ahuristan (who's population are known as the "hoors" much to my delight) invading it's fictional neighbour. Bear in mind, this is all fictional, so don't get too excited. The UN already has a force in place, a BDE sized element led by the Irish who have also provided a Bn. Nice to know our lads are getting a look in at the Staff Course, eh?

In other related news, the US Army annouced it's annual applications (for active only) for the various foreign staff schools for Majors. On the list was the Irish Army Staff Course at the Curragh. One lucky US Major gets to spend 9 months or so there on Uncle Sams dime, must be nice. Naturally these courses are not open to reservists........

Ireland can rightfully claim it is "on the map" when you get a look in at the Command and General Staff Course...!!!!!!

A

I don't know if you've checked the CARL, but all the thesis by various students that have attended Leavenworth get put online. Here's an obvious one I found: "The Advent of Representative Associations in the Irish Defence Forces" by then-Commandant Michael Gannon.

Of course, this was June 1992, so he's probably moved on a bit since then...

How's the place treating you? I've got another month to go here in Knox at MC3, will be taking the scenic route back via TX in AUG.

NTM
    Last edited by California Tanker; 25 June 2008, 04:15.
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
      I don't know if you've checked the CARL, but all the thesis by various students that have attended Leavenworth get put online. Here's an obvious one I found: "The Advent of Representative Associations in the Irish Defence Forces" by then-Commandant Michael Gannon.

Of course, this was June 1992, so he's probably moved on a bit since then...

How's the place treating you? I've got another month to go here in Knox at MC3, will be taking the scenic route back via TX in AUG.

NTM
      CT, the afore mentioned officer is now a full Colonel...
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Yeah, I've read some of the papers some of these lads write, I actually used on in a grad course as a source. It seems there is one Irish Commandant at the Command and General Staff College (CGSC) in the US every year as part of the international contingent. I'm sure most of the lads Ireland sends are the "high flyers" destined for greatness.

CT, I'm doing the Reserve version of ILE, finishing up the final phase in San Antonio, done this weekend, tired of writing papers, reading Army crap and dealing with some of the dumbest Majors in the Army. Honestly its scary to see who can make it to the grade, doesn't do much for your faith in the Army system.

If you pass through Austin, drop me a line......A

Comment

Senior Command & Staff Course is what you are refering to

Comment

Ahuristan? Probably elements of Limerick, Tipperary, Kerry, Clare and a few odds and sods rolled up in one harmonious, peaceful country.With added Kalashnikovs and a rebel yell along the lines of "up, ya boy, ya!"
            regards
            GttC

Comment

A lot of these papers that are written as part of the C & S Course end up in the
              Annual Defence Forces Review book each year

Some of them are quite good reads, others are mind numbingly boring.

Irishrgr, I' ve been in Austin with the job - great city !!!

"Crocodile Rocks" on 6th Street was a great spot although I believe it' s
              closed down now ?
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Yep, this enemy is a right bunch of hoors....it's gas, all this discussion about the hoors invading, the hoors doing this and that.....and none of these lads get it. I'd bring up the war cry, but it might be too much for these feeble minds.

Haven't been to 6th st in a while, seem to think Crocodile Rocks is closed though, and yep, it's a great place to live.

A

Comment

Course brochure is on military.ie - http://www.military.ie/army/org/dftc...&SBrochure.pdf

Comment

Working...
                  X