United Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Ireland

I am just asking for the sake of asking and as a topic of conversation.

When there is a united Ireland how much bigger do you think the defence forces will need to become.

At the moment there are approx 5,000 British soldiers in Northern Ireland, based in 11 locations.

At the height of the Troubles there were almost 30,000, based in more than 100 locations.

As i said I am just asking for the fun of it.
    More fun than tap dancing on a landmine!

Originally posted by Micky View Post
    At the moment there are approx 5,000 British soldiers in Northern Ireland, based in 11 locations.
    11 locations??. Where are these figures from just out on interest as I think you will find their is only about 2 or 3 operational now.
    Last edited by pmtts; 2 July 2008, 14:42.

Comment

Another can of worms is opened.
      You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

When there is a united Ireland how much bigger do you think the defence forces will need to become.
        You mean when everyone in NI decides that its better to forego tasty british subvention and jump into our rapidly imploding economy?

I doubt even the Nationalists in the north would wish that on themselves.

This is more suited to the Politics section I would've thought?
        "We do not govern to rule, we govern to serve" Gen. Michael Collins

Comment

I am just asking for the sake of asking and as a topic of conversation.

At the height of the Troubles there were almost 30,000, based in more than 100 locations.

As i said I am just asking for the fun of it.
          Ireland is in the United States of Europe now, and thats about as United we ever likely to get.

Connaught Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by pmtts View Post
            11 locations??. Where are these figures from just out on interest as I think you will find their is only about 2 or 3 operational now.
            i got this information from the BBC website
            More fun than tap dancing on a landmine!

Comment

i got this information from the BBC website
              It's no doubt a cached page that is very old as there is certainly not 11 locations still in operation.

Comment

Now lets see, 10 batt to cordon of the Shankill, 20 Batts to cordon off Ballymena, Newtonhamilton, , etc etc etc you would first need a team of brain surgeons to sort out brains on both sides... after that in an envronmental friendly, gender sensitive, spirit of reconciliation let the slaughter begin. Maybe bring in Mugabe as a mediator..

Comment

But surely "when" we get a United Ireland, we won't need a military of any sort, because by then the Whole world will be holding hands and singing come by aah.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I am just asking for the sake of asking and as a topic of conversation..
                    I smell a troll.

Don't we have one or two United Ireland threads already?
                    sigpic
                    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                    My favourite moment was when the
                    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

You know the way on another "board(s)" site, there is one character who diverts all threads into a "Irish DF aren't half as good as British Army"...

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        You know the way on another "board(s)" site, there is one character who diverts all threads into a "Irish DF aren't half as good as British Army"...
                        I am familiar with the concept. Of course there is also one or ten who turn everything into an argument about it all being the fault of the Brits.
                        sigpic
                        Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                          I am familiar with the concept. Of course there is also one or ten who turn everything into an argument about it all being the fault of the Brits.

When of course anyone with half a brain would know it was really the Dutch who started it all.....

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            When of course anyone with half a brain would know it was really the Dutch who started it all.....
                            Well, one anyway....
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I know a few peoplw who would blame the welsh.

Comment

Working...
                              X