Kevin Myers IT Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Myers IT Article

I cannt find it online but there was a good article in a recent Irish Times (could have been yesterdays) about the recent UN veterans day. The last line went somthing like this "Its no surprise that Ministers for Defence seem so insignificant while in the presence of members of the Defence Forces, its because they are" :wink:

Originally posted by kermit
    Are you sure it was Kevin Myers, in the Irish Times? He has absconded to the Irish Independent.
    Its was cut out and on top of an IT so I just assmued it was from that.

Comment

Its Kevin writing in the Irish Indo- nice piece-
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I wouldn't be Myers most devoted reader, however he's written a number of articles which praise the men and women of the Defence Forces, and for that you have to give him great credit.

The rest of the media only seems to take notice of the DF when something bad happens, ignoring the good work that quietly takes place every day.

Comment

Kevin Myers can be one of the most opinionated writers in Ireland today and I sometimes think he just waffles on. However when he is on the ball he is truly on the ball. He seems to hold the Irish Soldier in very high regard and this piece should be required reading for the whole country as too often the commitment and professionalism of the Irish Defence Forces is overlooked.

Thanks for posting the article.
          There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Very nice piece.

Comment

Well done, Mr Myers.

Thanks for posting the article, Kermit, I' ll copy that one away safe....
              Last edited by Truck Driver; 4 July 2008, 05:14.
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Hi all
                I'm a fan of the man, no mistake.Sometimes he gets it wrong, but many, many times, he's spot on.For a fella who's never spent a second in uniform, he's totally on the side of the Irish soldier(alive or dead, for that matter).He was making the case for the forgotten of WW 1 long before it became popular or profitable to do so.I don't give a shit what paper he writes for, as long as he keeps writing...
                regards
                GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                  Well done, Mr Myers.

Thanks for posting the article, Goldie, I' ll copy that one away safe....

What I do?:confused:

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    What I do?:confused:
                    OOPS.... should have been Kermit !!!!
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

He puts a certain eloquence to how the whole UN Congo thing comes about and rounds of nice but making the ministers of defence look like ****s....

Nice read.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Indo

ROFL

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...d-1844599.html
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Bloody Barristers
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;