Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A way to make the ranges more efficient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A way to make the ranges more efficient?

The Brits (and others) have a Small Arms Collimator (SAC) that allows the use to confirm there weapon is zeroed / rezero a weapon (in under a minute) without live firing. It works on iron & optic sights and NVE. A version for checking laser pointers etc is also available.

It also takes the "bad shot" out of the loop.

I've seen it being used although never got to use it myself. It was mainly used to boresight a very badly zeroed weapon though to allow the shooter to be able zero it properly. I suppose after zeroing you could find out where the sight is correctly zeroed and always be able to set the sight to the same position without firing.

Comment

Hi there
      It'd be more in their line if they'd modernise the existing ranges or even build more indoor/barracks-based ranges.
      regards
      GttC

Comment

Well there are indoor ranges that have been built but have never been used.

Comment

They look pretty nifty. Any idea of how much they cost?
          "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Comment

With the collimator you have to Zero your rifle the normal way and then put the collimator on and remember where in the grid your sight is. The firer then needs to remember this for the next time the rifle is fired.
            When you get to the range again you need tom ake sure the sight is on the correct part of the grid. Then fire your 20 rounds grouping and five round check group. So you still need to Zero the rifle it just stops the need to boresght ang you will be on target (somewhere) for your first 20 rounds. Hope this makes sence I'm typing in a work meeting and trying ot to get caught!)

Comment

Interesting little device. The other thing I've seen is a small laser pointer the size of a cartridge. Chamber the laser, see where the sight is pointing compared to the dot.

NTM
              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

The collimator is an old device --have used it on hunting rifle, 375Mag with a scope . It saves expensive ammo and time but still need to fire a few shots after alignment to tune in the scope sight
                As regards ranges A big prob for Ireland must be the fact that a lot of barracks are situated in Towns , the high saftety standards and the fear of compensation claims.Spending a day travelling to Kilpeddar , Gormanstown or Kilbride just to do a days firing seems such a waste of time and money. Indoor rifle ranges would be ideal in places like Mc Kee the Brugha but could u just hear the cries from the public and alarmist about high veloicity rounds being fired near to them blah blah etc .
                On a similar note I live ( abroad) a few Ks from an army rifle range that runs perpendicular to a main road. The road runs along approximately 800m firing point , No fences just a guy on duty to stop cars turning onto the range when shooting is occuring and of course a red flag.

Comment

CBB has an DIRT (Digitial Indoor Range Theatre) projects different scenerios onto screen a laser fires at the target as far as I know. It also has an indoor range we used to fire the FN with sub-calibre there.

Comment

Ranges would be far more efficient if the people who run them at the min wern't allowed to do it. Been on the range with a few differnt units and dear god the flapping these days makes it unplesent, time consuming experience to be there and shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      CBB has an DIRT (Digitial Indoor Range Theatre) projects different scenerios onto screen a laser fires at the target as far as I know. It also has an indoor range we used to fire the FN with sub-calibre there.
                      There's a DIRT in every Brigade area. Got to use FATS (FireArms Training Simulator) one time in Ft Benning. CT might have come across it and may be in a position to explain more about it.
                      Last edited by WES; 19 July 2008, 23:23.
                      The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                      (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

I know one man who can get through a detail with the pistol safely, and completely, in 20 minutes. No reason it should take any longer if everyone is tuned in.

There is way too much flapping goes on in most cases. Then you have the types who must discuss every single round they fired, and every signal they got or didn't get, when everyone else is collecting ammo.
                        Objective: Expend rounds through pointy end of weapon, preferably at centre of target. That is all.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The most annoying question on a range?

"Where was my first round?"
                          The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                          (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

"I lost track of it after it went through the target.."

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The proposed new annual range practice should do away with alot of the bullshit we have to deal with now.IF it ever gets approved
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                              X