Joining the Reserves (MP's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the Reserves (MP's)

I have had a search through the forum and gathered as much info as I can about the reserves, but I still feel I have a few questions...

I have come back around to the idea of joining up, I always wanted to when I was younger but in the end I never did, so now I'm 29 and interested again, but have a few apprehensions.

First of all am I going to look a bit odd at 29 with a load of 17 year olds, or is there a varied range of ages at the new recruit level ?

Second, It wouldn't be easy for me to make camp, however I may be able to arrange it, but from what I have seen on YouTube and read here, it seems like its just a load of young lads getting pi*sed, if I make the effort to get there am I going to be ridiculed if go to bed early or am I going to be woken up all night by kids throwing up and running around ? (seriously my 2 brother in laws are in the US Reserves their basic training camp is hardcore compared to what I have been reading here).

Third, if I cant make camps am I basically going to sit as a recruit indefinatly? is it possible to move up at all with just attending parades and weekends training ?

Fourth, for some reason the Reserve MP's has appealed to me (hopefully its not because im a power hungry a*hole, as I have seen then described by others!!!). Im really hoping to here from some reserve MP's here and get their opinion on it, do you really spend the majority of the time directing traffic? given the information above would I be a suitable candidate for the redcaps, or would I even get my redcap !!!

Thanks.

firstly on a recruit camp , recruits can't drink , in my experience 90% of guys who join at an later age tend not to hang around(the magic 6 weeks recruitment time civie to rdf does not exsist). going on a camp is a defo or it can take you a long time to get your stars and thirdly why the PAs ? not the most exciting units to join . you should think of what your expectations are of the reserve you won't get a "hardcore" training regime in the MPs . what part of the country are you in?
    :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

First of all am I going to look a bit odd at 29 with a load of 17 year olds, or is there a varied range of ages at the new recruit level ?
      Varied ages - can happen, bunt in my experience, not too often

Second, It wouldn't be easy for me to make camp
      then you would have a problem. The Recruit (and 2 - 3 * Courses) are modularised in two
      parts, the second part being conducted on FULL TIME Annual Training.
      Also, this is the only means (full time) by which Career Courses can be carried out
      - due to the length of same

however I may be able to arrange it, but from what I have seen on YouTube and read
      here, it seems like its just a load of young lads getting pi*sed, if I make the effort to get there
      am I going to be ridiculed if go to bed early or am I going to be woken up all night by kids
      throwing up and running around ?
      Re: young lads getting pissed - that is down to the standards of discipline enforced by the
      unit. i have seen both sides of the coin this year

Third, if I cant make camps am I basically going to sit as a recruit indefinatly?
      is it possible to move up at all with just attending parades and weekends training ?
      See above

Fourth, for some reason the Reserve MP's has appealed to me (hopefully its not
      because im a power hungry a*hole, as I have seen then described by others!!!).
      Im really hoping to here from some reserve MP's here and get their opinion on it,
      do you really spend the majority of the time directing traffic? given the information
      above would I be a suitable candidate for the redcaps, or would I even get my redcap !!!

Thanks.
      Not qualified to comment on the MPs, but there are a couple of them on the board
      who would probably be only too delighted to answer your questions on
      Private Messages or here....
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I am in Dublin and imagine that Cathal Brua/Dun Laoire would be my nearest parade locations. As I am in college on Monday and Tuesday nights I need Thursday night Parades, which I think leaves me with either the PA's or the Cavalry.

"in my experience 90% of guys who join at an later age tend not to hang around(the magic 6 weeks recruitment time civie to rdf does not exsist)"
        - could you elaborate a bit on this please ?

Thanks.

Comment

"in my experience 90% of guys who join at an later age tend not to hang around(the magic 6 weeks recruitment time civie to rdf does not exsist
          he refers to the processing time re medicals, security cheacks etc..all takes time and can even take months and some of those waiting become disillusioned and never comeback.

There is however a lead in 7 week module between offering your paperwork and the eventaully signing on. We ran it last year and it gave the recruits atse of what was in store.

Gives both parties an oppertunity to assess each other before making a commitment.

As for the age thing. I was 24 as a recruit and would have expressed the same reservations, If anything you'll be better off being that bit older or mature as to some it will be there first real wandering from home etc.Wouldn't be worried about it all.

If the PA's don't work out the Cav is a good option.

Obviously your first preference is PA, whatever the reasons. I not on the recruiting drive , but I am Cav so yeah its agood second choice if your primary doesn't work out.

hope it works out for you what ever you choose.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by InterestedParty View Post
            The average age of a recruit is definitely late teens but it not unheard of. In my pre-reorg unit we had 2 people join in my 7+ years there who were 34. They are not corporals. I wouldn't worry about age (so long as you find it easy to get on with people of this age group).

Second, It wouldn't be easy for me to make camp, however I may be able to arrange it, but from what I have seen on YouTube and read here, it seems like its just a load of young lads getting pi*sed, if I make the effort to get there am I going to be ridiculed if go to bed early or am I going to be woken up all night by kids throwing up and running around ? (seriously my 2 brother in laws are in the US Reserves their basic training camp is hardcore compared to what I have been reading here).
            Your brothers in law experience will be very different! In my experience there is very rarely problems of this type, it has reduced in recent years. It would be unusual in the units you are likely to join.

Third, if I cant make camps am I basically going to sit as a recruit indefinatly? is it possible to move up at all with just attending parades and weekends training ?
            I'm afraid so, you HAVE TO (not legally but realistically) be able to do had least 14 days (in a row) in your first 2 years to get to 3*. After that if you can't commit you will not get promoted & you will be limited in the training you will do.

Fourth, for some reason the Reserve MP's has appealed to me (hopefully its not because im a power hungry a*hole, as I have seen then described by others!!!). Im really hoping to here from some reserve MP's here and get their opinion on it, do you really spend the majority of the time directing traffic? given the information above would I be a suitable candidate for the redcaps, or would I even get my redcap !!!
            MPs role/job includes route marking (sign posting), directing traffic & learning/enforcing military law.

magic 6 weeks recruitment time civie to rdf does not exsist)"
            Realistically from the time you fill in the initial paperwork to being in uniform you are talking 8-12 weeks and thats if you can make audiogram & medical appointments (the 2 major delays are security clearance & getting uniform).

Unit wise your options are:
            62 Res Inf Bn
            HQ Coy - Bray - Wednesday
            A Coy - Baldonnel - Wednesday
            B Coy - Bray / Cathal Brugha - Wednesday
            Support Coy - Cathal Brugha - Wednesday

62 Cavalry Squadron - Cathal Brugha - Thursday

62 Field Engineer Coy - McKee (beside Phoenix Park) - Thursday

62 Field MP Coy - Cathall Brugha - Thursday

Comment

If you join the Cav or the MP's you'll have to wear silly headdress.... Either way you're ****ed

Comment

Thanks again for all the info !

The cavalry is interesting to me too, especially if the PA's ultimatly end up doing traffic duty that majority of the time.

I am presuming that pretty much everything that a new recruit does is the same for the first year or two regardless of your company or corps as everyone has to have the same basic soldier training under their belt.

As far as why I am interested in joining goes, its really just looking to contribute to something and be part of a team, im not just looking to "play soldier" though i do have an interest in the military and how it all works, and I am hoping that the training is reasonably challenging.

As far as the camps go - are recruits allowed to leave the base or does training run to lights out, if anyone could give a rough idea of a daily schedule it would be really cool.

and on the PA / Cavalry headgear thing, i knew about the red beret, but what does the cavalry wear? I thought the PA's were the only ones with a different cap ?

Comment

the oldest recruit i trained was 25 ,,, but i have come across lads who were older when they joined , your personality will have alot to do with it , despite your age and life experience you will be treated the same as the spotty 17 year old who collects Pokemon cards, you will be told what to do by people who often are much younger then you , if you can deal with that you should have no problem and your age and maturity will be an advantage to you .
                  "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

being an ex PA i would join the cav, better courses a bit more action and oh yeah you get to drink alot of coffee in an apc!
                    :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Originally posted by InterestedParty View Post
                      I am presuming that pretty much everything that a new recruit does is the same for the first year or two regardless of your company or corps as everyone has to have the same basic soldier training under their belt.
                      Correct

As far as the camps go - are recruits allowed to leave the base or does training run to lights out, if anyone could give a rough idea of a daily schedule it would be really cool.
                      It depends on the unit & location of the camp. Reveille (get up) 0700, end of training programme (varies) between 1800 & 2000.

i knew about the red beret, but what does the cavalry wear? I thought the PA's were the only ones with a different cap ?
                      Cavalry wear a glengarry.

Comment

generally recruits are restricted to barracks for the duration of training , the day begins at 7 at recruit level it is mostly focused on the rifle and marching with some basic field craft . finishing up around 20,00 hours with the rest of the night for some personal admin shower and looking after your kit for the next day and some revision of notes ,An important part of the training is learning to gel with your fellow soldiers ,so going home and returning in morning would not be a thing to encourage imo.
                        "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Thanks again for all the posts. After some further thought and a bit more research and the responses on the boards, I think that the cavalry might be a better option, so now I just need to know how to join, do I just show up at the barracks and say I want in ?

Also, if I am driving to cathal brua, is there parking inside the barracks or will I have to find somewhere in the area (im not that familiar with the area) I thought I read somewhere that there are buses that collect people, is that true ?

Comment

Thanks again for all the posts. After some further thought and a bit more research and the responses on the boards, I think that the cavalry might be a better option, so now I just need to know how to join, do I just show up at the barracks and say I want in ?
                            Yes. Show up on the first Thurs in September with long form birth cert and four passport
                            photos signed on the rear. The recruting officer will initiate the paperwork

Also, if I am driving to cathal brua, is there parking inside the barracks or will I have to find somewhere in the area (im not that familiar with the area) I thought I read somewhere that there are buses that collect people, is that true ?
                            Usually no problem with bringing in your own car on a training night.
                            Personnel are not bussed into Cathal Brugha. Logic being that there is an adequate
                            public transport service serving the area.
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

trained pa two stars this year.... no the most "mp like" types i've come across. One done for bullying, one repremanded fpr drinking and two more who kept getting caught in dark corners togeteher by their cs. so i definately think your age and maturity will stand to you. Especially in the pa's. Go to camp anyway, it'll be great craic regardless and in the pa's you'll make cpl fairly fast, Along with all the other cpls your age. You won't be long fitting in.
                              Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                              Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                              do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Working...
                              X