RDF & Tech Pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    It's not a hobby for me. It used to be a drinking club that everyone paid enough military lip service to. There are still people in it who with every word they open their mouth to the PDF drag us back 10 years to the dark FCA days "Sure it's only a bit of fun, ah let the recruits drink" Since the re-org and the chance to actually try and improve we've been hassled by both our own side [ By the nay-sayers and the morons ]

and the PDF, whose attitude at least is a little clearer now since last year.

I am close to doing what murph did , because you have to wonder is it worth it.
    Don't let yourself get confused between people that are there for a chat with the lads and a bit of craic in the mess and those that do the work and then unwind over a few pints.

I know it gets up some peoples nose when I say that I consider it a hobby.

But at the same time I take it seriously.

but there is another thread for that!!!!

Hedgie everyone has their own motovation for doing what they do.
    There are some that don't make it to annual full time training. They get nothing for the time they put in. It has happened to me a couple of years but I am still here.
    We train as volunteers.
    When asked we work.
    If I didn't do what I do then a PDF driver would have to be detailed. He would be paid for all the days he does, including tech pay, yet I only get paid for some days.
    I suppose its abit like someone whose hobby is driving a steam train. When you are doing it for yourself then voulenteering is grand. But when you are doing it for others and filling a service that someone else would be paid for that you cross the line and put you hand out.
    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      NO as I said I am NOT

but if the RDF is not a hobby then what is it

a second career- a commitment to the state-
      what then

I class it as Part-time work or casual Labour.

I also do Volunteering. I don't get paid for the Volunteer work I do. Doing both, I can tell you there is a big difference. If someone wants to class it as a Hobby, I'm not stopping them. I don't class it as such.

get down of your high horse wind your neck in

dont be looking for a fight where there is none
      :confused::confused::confused:
      You are the one looking for a fight. I have already said, I'm not going to give you your fight.

Comment

its not part time work

and its not casual labour either

your volunteering- and I really am not insulting you

but this is your hobby

and feck it its an honourable hobby
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

its not part time work

And I say it is. You don't get paid for Volunteer work. And you don't have access to the LRC & LC.

Hedgehog, you can have your opinion, but if you can't back it up, it is just that - an opinion.

Comment

*facepalm*

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
              And I say it is. You don't get paid for Volunteer work. And you don't have access to the LRC & LC.

Hedgehog, you can have your opinion, but if you can't back it up, it is just that - an opinion.
              What about those who put in the hours during the year, but because they still have jobs, and families, they can't get the time to participate in annual training, and therefore don't get paid.

What are they?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                What about those who put in the hours during the year, but because they still have jobs, and families, they can't get the time to participate in annual training, and therefore don't get paid.

What are they?
                non-effective

Comment

Zing
                  "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

your volunteering
                    up to a point.

its not part time work

Why not?

but this is your hobby

and feck it its an honourable hobby
                    And your point??
                    It's not unheard of for people to prifit from their hobbies. However I can't think of a single person that I know that has profited from being paid by RDF.
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                      non-effective
                      Are you saying that beacuse an RDF soldier cannot attend annual training, he is non-effective? Ahhhhh, I don't think so!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steyr Fan View Post
                        Are you saying that beacuse an RDF soldier cannot attend annual training, he is non-effective? Ahhhhh, I don't think so!!!!!
                        Under Defence Force Regulation R5, para 49, he is.

The regs may change soon, but currently, they are officially supposed to be non-Effective.

Comment

I remember, long long ago, in 2007....
                          Some group promised that those people who put in the hours during the year but were unable to attend annual training would still get Grat....

I wonder what happened there.

I think it is quite insulting that they would be passed off as "non effective", just because they prefer to give their 2 weeks holiday a year to their family, instead of the reserve...

P.S. The Minister thinks we are Volunteers...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            I remember, long long ago, in 2007....
                            Some group promised that those people who put in the hours during the year but were unable to attend annual training would still get Grat....

I wonder what happened there.

I think it is quite insulting that they would be passed off as "non effective", just because they prefer to give their 2 weeks holiday a year to their family, instead of the reserve...

P.S. The Minister thinks we are Volunteers...
                            And what group was that? Don't say RDFRA because they never promised that.

As for insulting - what is new???

Minister is about to be overruled by the courts. Just because a FFer thinks something is true, doesn't mean it is.

Comment

Minister is about to be overruled by the courts. Just because a FFer thinks something is true, doesn't mean it is.
                              WHether the COurts do or do not over rule the Minister is immaterial

but what is material is how could you possibly know what a Court is about to decide

the Court have either decided or are still making up there minds

so what insight have you got- or are you surmising that they will over rule

and just forgot to include the in my opinion bit

Maybe a clarification not a climb down would be inorder here
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

It was the LRC not the courts, the LRC is a conciliation forum, the Labour Court has a judge.

The time about getting grat without attending annual camp was fixed. In the new R5 (still waiting on the newer one allowing for the payment of the new grat) it allows for payment of grat after 7 aggregrate days FTT (ie not in a row).

Comment

Working...
                                X