No announcement yet.

No Berets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there's other occupations out there that involve boggars screaming in your face, 24/7 i'd agree with you. Maybe my platoon just gets their bollox rode. I have to agree with HA to some degree, there ain't many jobs out there as stressful as being a PDF recruit
    Its way down the recognised stress level and thats a fact

You've done four months trainimg and your bitching over a beret and badge, I hope your career is long a fruitful and you get all the things that you think make you look the part.

If not re adjustment of attitude is advice as your are going to suffer miserably if you get upset but not getting what thinks you make you stand out

calm down, you'll get it when it becomes vailable and i will bet a large sum of money it will spend most of its life in your pocket
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      i will bet a large sum of money it will spend most of its life in your pocket
      I'm not going to comment on the rest of this thread but ZING!
      "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
        You come across as one of the ex-RDF, now PDF people who have forgotten where they came from, and now look down their noses at the RDF.

No one likes such a character.
        How did you work that one out Batman? I still stay in contact with most of the people I met in the Reserves and would consider quite a few of them good friends. Albeit I give them a bit of stick from time to time, they do the exact same to me.... It's something mates do.

You seem like a judgmental little asshole with a chip on his shoulder while sitting behind a computer screen. No one likes such a character.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          Fire Service, RNLI, Gardai even? Take off the blinkers.
          Gardai? I've a friend training in Templemore right now..... The worst thing he has to do is have cold showers. Hardly ball busting IMO.

As for the Fire Service, they're another Organisation I consider a cut above a civilian job.

Comment

I have learned painfully there is no way to speed the system up for clothing. If they're out, they're out.

However RDF berets are usually in stock [ depends on your size though, I'm a 62 so there's usually one or two of those. it's the cap badges are usually out ]

However eBay usually comes to the rescue, and so it is :

[ although officer pattern you see my point ]
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally Posted by kermit
              You come across as one of the ex-RDF, now PDF people who have forgotten where they came from, and now look down their noses at the RDF.

No one likes such a character
              These do actually exist.

I certainly remember that attitude to be prevalent at a time when the RDF and PDF did not share the same equipment or when the FCA was not invoved in a lot of the training it is now.

A lot has changed and I have to say a lot of the guys who joined the PDF from my unit come back witha certain amount of pride in their former unit and acknowledge that the time with us did them no harm at all.

I'm many years older than most of these and have the benefit of having been on both sdes of the DF fence and know it to be the case that the reserves of my time were treated badly by a lot of the PDF..mostly as we were ignorant of the commitment they gave.

It should be remembered that at that time the FCA were not actively seen as the armys reserve but a organisation unto themselves.

Where I have come across any hint of abuse to an RDF guy from a PDF guy I usually deal with it in either of two methods..

(a)..little gobshite.. its only a few months since you were on this side of the fence learning to stand up straight before the army would even consider you!

(b)..ah well son in perfect world you wouldn't even be in the army!

There is always going to be those who look down on either side ..human nature, wouldn't worry about it too much.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                I have learned painfully there is no way to speed the system up for clothing. If they're out, they're out.

However RDF berets are usually in stock [ depends on your size though, I'm a 62 so there's usually one or two of those. it's the cap badges are usually out ]

However eBay usually comes to the rescue, and so it is :

[ although officer pattern you see my point ]
                It'd be a said state of affairs if people had to start going to Ebay for basic items such as cap badges.

The DF know that there's always a demand for cap badges so they should have the relevant stock. Regardless of the service you're in, you should have a cap badge when you have your beret.

Comment

It'd be a said state of affairs if people had to start going to Ebay for basic items such as cap badges
                  try car boot sale first ..always a good source of the unusual, I have a set of brass collar badges , cost me a fiver but well worth it. Cavalry ones at that..well worth a few quid damn sight better than the staybrite ones.

I had to aquire a cap badge ta car boot sale many years ago as some one had swiped my Glengarry nad getting a replcamnet cap wasn't the problem.. getting the cap badge was ..so Off i went to a local car boot slae couple of quid and I have a brass cap badge... night mare of a thing as the maintaince far outweighed its appearance, swapped it to a guy who was dying to get his hands on one thought it was the dogs bollocks. got three in return including the old style small NS one..

Comment

Fire Service, RNLI, Gardai even? Take off the blinkers.
                    Just talk to anyone who transferred from DF to the Gardai or Fire service. I have four friands from my recruit Pln who have joined the gardai, 2 direct entry as techs, but the other two went through Templemore and said it was a piece of p**s compared to recruit and 3* training.

Over the years two 3 more friends joined the fire service, and they said the training is quite physical but not a patch on the mental and physical torment you're put through in recruit training. The biggest plus is, after training, when you get assigned to your station the roster is set out a year in advance!! We're lucky to get one weeks notice of duties.
                    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

I have heard that Garda Training has become particularly lax lately, in an effort to get out the Magic 2000 extra that the government promised.
                      God help us public.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by REX View Post
                        Just talk to anyone who transferred from DF to the Gardai or Fire service. I have four friands from my recruit Pln who have joined the gardai, 2 direct entry as techs, but the other two went through Templemore and said it was a piece of p**s compared to recruit and 3* training.

Over the years two 3 more friends joined the fire service, and they said the training is quite physical but not a patch on the mental and physical torment you're put through in recruit training. The biggest plus is, after training, when you get assigned to your station the roster is set out a year in advance!! We're lucky to get one weeks notice of duties.
                        A week? Try half 8 that morning

Comment

Just wondering.

Do the Army issue underwear to be worn outside your trousers?

Or is it just superman?

Comment

Just wondering.

Do the Army issue underwear to be worn outside your trousers?

Or is it just superman?
                            Although not quite underwear.... The paedo pants do the job just as well.

Comment

Whoosh.

Comment

There's a lot of self praising going on here. Now I admit I can't say first hand that PDF recruit training isn't the hardest thing in the world, but I seriously doubt it is. Very tough, yes. But what about the people that go in day after day and clean shite off toilets and empty sanitary bins and empty septic tanks. Physically no, I don't think it's as difficult but could you do that for your whole "career"? Could you really?
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                                Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                                Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                                Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Working...
                                X