Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not allowed to wear uniform at olympics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not allowed to wear uniform at olympics!

So an Army rider made it to the olympics, Capt Geoff Curran, and then was informed he was not allowed to wear his uniform, same with any soldier competing at the Olympics, I personally couldn't give a sh1t if he competed naked, but what do other people think of the rule?
    The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Who made the rule, the IOC or the Chinese?.

Slightly contradictory if the Chinese imposed it considering there were troops in uniform on parade with the Olympic flag!.

Comment

It is the IOC who makes the rules regarding what people wear.

Comment

Rule 51 of the Olympic Charter

1. No form of publicity or propaganda, commercial or otherwise, may appear on persons, on sportswear, accessories or, more generally, on any article of clothing or equipment whatsoever worn or used by the athletes or other participants in the Olympic Games, except for the identification - as defined in paragraph 8 below - of the manufacturer of the article or equipment concerned, provided that such identification shall not be marked conspicuously for advertising purposes.

sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Gasplug View Post
          So an Army rider made it to the olympics, Capt Geoff Curran, and then was informed he was not allowed to wear his uniform, same with any soldier competing at the Olympics, I personally couldn't give a sh1t if he competed naked, but what do other people think of the rule?
          I wouldn't wear my uniform, why would Capt Curran want to be different? The Olympic team has its own uniform anyway, so that should be good enough and the olympics is not a military event.
          Last edited by FougaM; 4 September 2008, 17:10.

Comment

In fairness some of the other Irish competitors weren't allowed wear the kit they wanted to wear. There was something about swiming hats.

Comment

. No form of publicity or propaganda, commercial or otherwise, may appear on persons, on sportswear, accessories or, more generally, on any article of clothing or equipment whatsoever worn or used by the athletes or other participants in the Olympic Games, except for the identification - as defined in paragraph 8 below - of the manufacturer of the article or equipment concerned, provided that such identification shall not be marked conspicuously for advertising purposes
              I don't think that a uniform falls afoul of this reg.

NTM
              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

and the OCI should be hung out to dry for it.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                  Neither is the Dublin Horse Show...

But! the Dublin Horse Show is held in the Republic of Ireland

So an Irish Military Officer, who participates, may sport the relevant uniform.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

I definitely remember a Mexican Army rider in a past olympics competing in his uniform.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

sombrero and blanket over shoulder.....complete with sam browne
                      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Do you not think that comment is a bit rascist?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Well.. no blanket, but General Pancho Villa's close.

NTM
                          Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Up until the 1950's, only army officers could take part in olympic horse riding events, in 1948, the Swedish team was disqualified and stripped of its gold medal after it was revealed that one of the team was an NCO.

Comment

he was representing his country, not the irish army, therefore i believe its only right and proper that he wore the team uniform;
                              to wear anything else would have been, in military terms, out of uniform.

Comment

Working...
                              X