X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bunny shooter
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Again small unit logistics proved to be the downfall of such a plan.
    When the plates team loose this year we will be important then

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Wasn't I on that pistol team or was it the one before?
    You surely were and achieved equally crap results as the rest of us.

If I remember a practise held on a weekend before the actually event we brought along a certain non team memember who is a long way from being able to qualify in such an event and even he put us to shame.

maybe we should have called it a day at that stage.

But have to say we had some fun and were able to laugh at ourselves although the result could have been improved upon if we had been allowed more time to practise and if we had made the effort this year could have actually achieved something.

Again small unit logistics proved to be the downfall of such a plan.

Leave a comment:

• bunny shooter
    replied
    back to the shooting team thing

Last year my self Bunny shooter and a couple of others made an attempt to shoot pistol, Regardless of the result to which I can take most of the blame it did forge a good team spirit amongst those involved and four of us went on to 'run' the recruits late last year. BS took over as platoon sergeant, his brother as Corporal and things happened in a very comfortable envoirnment, this came back to the links we had forged as a team while shooting, There was nothing 'clique-y' about it just some like minded guys focused on the jobs in hand

Shooting teams are the penultimate of this team work in whatever weapon but the links forged transfer to other aspects of the job.

So appart from the medals , the crystal, badges etc that go with shooting the best result is getting to work with a nd shoot with some very good people who take their roles beyond shooting as seriously as they do their shooting.

While everybody may not be able to get on the team, there are areas in the back round where guys can get involved in and this while understated can never be under rated
    I have to take a fair bit of blame for the remarkable score we as a team achieved too. Had a bad day and weather was sh**te too. I have to agree, this is getting worrying Murph has made a very good point teamwork built up in any part of the training is good for unit morale and cohesion
    Last edited by bunny shooter; 13 September 2008, 02:59.

Leave a comment:

• bunny shooter
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    yes :wink:

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    back to the shooting team thing

Last year my self Bunny shooter and a couple of others made an attempt to shoot pistol, Regardless of the result to which I can take most of the blame it did forge a good team spirit amongst those involved and four of us went on to 'run' the recruits late last year. BS took over as platoon sergeant, his brother as Corporal and things happened in a very comfortable envoirnment, this came back to the links we had forged as a team while shooting, There was nothing 'clique-y' about it just some like minded guys focused on the jobs in hand

Shooting teams are the penultimate of this team work in whatever weapon but the links forged transfer to other aspects of the job.

So appart from the medals , the crystal, badges etc that go with shooting the best result is getting to work with a nd shoot with some very good people who take their roles beyond shooting as seriously as they do their shooting.

While everybody may not be able to get on the team, there are areas in the back round where guys can get involved in and this while understated can never be under rated

Leave a comment:

• bunny shooter
    replied
    Have to agree with Murph, shock and horror, been involved in one plates team, we were runners up in Sth. Brigade and All Army to him and his mates, in the same year ironically now I'm in their unit, after the re-org , and ya the much aspired to team work and camradarie was there between all the lads on the team and those helping us out.

So much so I haven't tried out for their team since I moved in Well that and as Murph says the life of a contrator is not an easy one. Murph any chance of a swap :wink:
    Last edited by bunny shooter; 13 September 2008, 00:07.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Works quite well for a while at the detriment of other activities
    very true but it also has some advantages in that especially in Falling plates it is a team event.

The team which includes the support elements remain together for camps excercises etc and work together quite well given the level of confidence that the mutually aquire.

If I was given a choice of a section or troop to lead it would be made up 90% of former plates team guys as I know how hard they will work, their limits,and they know mine so while it may detract from other activities it also has a hidden benefit in team building and cohesion..
    Its agood learning curve for younger guys in the use of firepower and limits of small units , use of ammunition and the value of drills.

While to some it may seem like a bunch of self efacing prima donnas, it really focuses on the team spirit that is often talked about , but very rarely exists in reality.

And thats what makes it worse when you beat us
    I'm sorry to make this sound a bit cocky but over the years I have been on the team and due to focus on our own efforts I've really forgotten who we beat and when and at what, I don't know who even beat us.

I can remember all the winning and losing times and why and how..but never who the oppents were.

Its strange, can't explain it, being part of something as big as an All Army while being part of a small corps and even a smaller unit is somewhat awe inspiring and you just remember the moment and not the circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• Docman
    replied
    Originally posted by concussion View Post
    From what I recall, your system seems to work quite well
    Works quite well for a while at the detriment of other activities,

Not talking about Murphys unit but know of one unit where the shooting team (who have done quite well) are all due to retire and there is NOONE to replace them. So much effort has been put into these individuals that no effort at all has been made on their replacements and it looks like being a lean couple of years to come.

Leave a comment:

• concussion
    replied
    Nice to have the luxury of having a bigger group to choose from for shooting teams, we however have to rely on the same people and hope to make a few discoveries of new proteges every year
    From what I recall, your system seems to work quite well

Some of our team are old enough to be the fathers of the younger members, myself included and while I can shoot my body just cries out in pain everytime I try to move like the 18 year old I am not.
    And thats what makes it worse when you beat us
    Last edited by concussion; 12 September 2008, 10:43.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    I knows you're pain
    So a swap is out of the question then!

Nice to have the luxury of having a bigger group to choose from for shooting teams, we however have to rely on the same people and hope to make a few discoveries of new proteges every year

Some of our team are old enough to be the fathers of the younger members, myself included and while I can shoot my body just cries out in pain everytime I try to move like the 18 year old I am not.

While my brain is telling me that I should be dissappointed in not being able to compete my body is crying'yes'..the old bastard has realised that he may just live a little longer if he stops acting like a teenager.

Leave a comment:

• Muzzle
    replied
    Originally posted by ltsmarty View Post
    Hey Muzzle,

The crystal hptmurphy is talking about comes from All-Army level. The S.Bde prizes consists of designed medals, similar to GAA medals. These have been rolled out since 1994 for all Bde competitions, (Shooting, Orienteering, PP Barry Cup). The crystal falls under the remit of D Reserve.

Always has been a healthy competitive edge in S.Bde shooting competitions.
    AHh right we got it at Bn and Bde level as well. We always had an internal Bn comp before the Bde shoot. The best shots from that then went forward to the Bde. Shooting was a very strong tradition with alot of time and effort going in to it.

Leave a comment:

• bunny shooter
    replied
    Somebody beat you to it..I'm working that weekend without a hope of getting off so Looks like I won't be there.

Unfortunately my employers don't see the All Army in the same light I do..joys of being a contractor

But the team will as having been runners up in the brigade they have already qualified

Looks like no 'Duiske' for me this year.
    I knows you're pain

Leave a comment:

• Dazzler
    replied
    Somebody beat you to it..I'm working that weekend without a hope of getting off so Looks like I won't be there.

Unfortunately my employers don't see the All Army in the same light I do..joys of being a contractor

But the team will as having been runners up in the brigade they have already qualified

Sh1t, I was only messin, I would prefer ye to win than the Lads from Infantry who qualified. They are a bit too gung ho for me!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    (I'm now jinxin you for the All-Army!!!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X