No announcement yet.

€41m 'jewel in the crown' Army barracks sale go-ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What worries me is that the government will simply be looking at the barracks as a cash cow. "We need more money. Let's sell a barracks".

A little streamlining is all well and good, but they're going to eventually have to face up to the fact that they will soon need to rely on other sources of income (such as the budget) instead of selling off assets: Eventually they'll run out of assets to sell.

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

I've heard rumours about Rockhill, it was looked at but as it is a leased premises the DF have a responsibility to do a lot of refurbishment before they can hand it back to its owner, so it was decided to keep it open rather than pay to get out of the lease and spend more expanding Finner Camp to take Rockhill's occupants. Lifford is apparently the more likely prospect, but as it is a new barracks closure is still unlikely.

6 Bn, not 28 Bn are in Dun Uí Neill in Cavan.
      "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
      Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Who owns the office block between McKee and Garda HQ? With Garda HQ going to Thurles(?) Dublin Metropolitan HQ is likely to move to the park, is ownership going to change?

It is possible that Coláiste Caoimhín may be a "target" as it's quite possible the site will be used for a Metro station as (not) included in Transport 21 and the rest of the site sold off.
        Last edited by DeV; 24 November 2005, 22:26.
        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
          Sarsfield won't be going anywhere while willie is in charge....
          True enough I should have said that I heard it beforeo willie was put in charge
          Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco
            beforeo
            Bosco learns spanish. Other new and exciting words in his vocabulary include bastardo and Scorcheo.
            Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
            Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
            do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Originally posted by Victor
              Who owns the office block between McKee and Garda HQ? With Garda HQ going to Thurles(?) Dublin Metropolitan HQ is likely to move to the park, is ownership going to change?

?
              That office block, if its the same building I am thinking of, is part of Garda HQ. If the admin functions of the Gardai move to thurles, the personnel in this building will not. Can't say more than that.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hmmmm... Speculation.... ERU? Special Branch? Intelligence?

Comment

I've just been looking at the DOD website and it refreshed my memory a bit.

In 2000, Michael Smith decentralised the Directorates of Reserve Forces and Training to Kickham Bks, Clonmel, a million euro was spent on refurbishing the block - that could rule Kickham out for closure.

With the eventual decentralisation of both DFHQ (to the Curragh Camp) and DOD (to Newbridge) that will free up - Parkgate, Coláiste Caoimhín and potentially parts of McKee Bks. It is of note that 385 civil servants (including 78 currently with DOD) wish to transfer to Newbridge, yet on 199 posts are available.

Comment

Dunno why people think that because in Clonmel

cant see clonmel being closed they are pumping money into up grading the blocks and the nco mess
                    and

In 2000, Michael Smith decentralised the Directorates of Reserve Forces and Training to Kickham Bks, Clonmel, a million euro was spent on refurbishing the block - that could rule Kickham out for closure.
                    .. that it is necessarily safe from the axe. For instance, a brand new Ordnance School and Workshop block was built in Clancy Bks in the 90s, yet a short few years later, Clancy was closed.

€1 million in the scheme of things is not a lot. Considering what the DoD could potentially get for Kickham, it being in the centre of town, etc. I have a horrible sinking feeling that Bks closures have not finished yet. Columb Bks in Mullingar
                    could well be the next on the hit list, in my opinion, with Custume Bks in Athlone being only a matter of 20 or so miles away...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

According to one of the tabloids the Minister is selling St.Bricin's as it no longer of use.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyjim
                        Hmmmm... Speculation.... ERU? Special Branch? Intelligence?
                        Dunno, but there are some fairly fit birds giving it sox on the treadmill in one of the upper floor windows from time to time...

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                          According to one of the tabloids the Minister is selling St.Bricin's as it no longer of use.
                          What tabloid paper was this in?
                          I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

News of the World (16/7/06):

Land worth e10 million is being given to Dublin City Council to build affordable housing.

St.Bricin's Military Hospital has been deemed unsuitable for futher use.

So Defence Minister Willie O'Dea has agreed to let the council but the 2.5 acre site in Arbour Hill for a nominal sum.

The hospital was used in the film My Left Foot because of its old-fashioned appearance.

Obviously I don't take this as gospel.
                            Last edited by DeV; 18 July 2006, 18:32.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                              News of the World (16/7/06):

Land worth e10 million is being given to Dublin City Council to build affordable housing.

St.Bricin's Military Hospital has been deemed unsuitable for futher use.

So Defence Minister Willie O'Dea has agreed to let the council but the 2.5 acre site in Arbour Hill for a nominal sum.

The hospital was used in the film My Left Foot because of its old-fashioned appearance.
                              I thought the relevant section of land was already handed over.... ?
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I think they mean that particular part of the site of of no use, rather than the hospital is of no use.
                                Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Working...
                                X