Red berets as an obstacle to vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    makes a lot more sense than "my brother is a better man than all of ye, so he can wear what he wants", which was the gist of your posts.

Personally I feel that the wearing of military headgear should be limited to helmets, when operational. Or if the weather permits, Bush hats. That or nothing.
    Semi ceremonial headgear has no place in the operational environment.

That wasn't the gist of my post.........................The gist of my post was I think the MP Sgt with his experience would know what head dress to wear and when..

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_Army01 View Post
      Are you in the PDF??? have you served in CHAD???????????????????????
      done 24 years and was proud to wear my uniform ALL OF IT..

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
        done 24 years and was proud to wear my uniform ALL OF IT..

The Navy doesn't count

There is also the possibility that he meet the COS from an Aircraft..
        Craghopper
        Custom User Title
        Last edited by Craghopper; 13 September 2008, 16:09.

Comment

The Navy doesn't count

OK we have got you going about the beret thing but it is one of the things that should come automatically to a df man .. even still i am hesitant to put my hands in my pockets, as it never leaves you. so it is like the guard of honour with the rifles all over the place and the dressing wrong ex servicemen will spot this. and we have a right to comment on it.

Comment

The Navy doesn't count

check the pension rates thats where it counts... and as for the uniform.. ask the women

Comment

It's an opertaional theatre in Africa, not a barrack square for god sake. Leave it to people who are there to enforce dress standards and discipline, not the professionals at home behind a keyboard. The photos are far more interesting for this thread
              "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Yes let have more photos of the troops on the ground and the every day activities.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                  C.P teams/operators rarely wear headress as it inteferes with peripheral vision..
                  i'm pretty sure a beret wont interfere with peripheral vision, i've had my beret nigh on 8 years and it doesnt affect mine,

maybe if it were a caubeen or some such bag of elbow skin it would, but thats another story,
                  But there's no danger
                  It's a professional career
                  Though it could be arranged
                  With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                  If you're out of luck you're out of work
                  We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                    i'm pretty sure a beret wont interfere with peripheral vision, i've had my beret nigh on 8 years and it doesnt affect mine,

maybe if it were a caubeen or some such bag of elbow skin it would, but thats another story,

And you have done Close protection Work in the DF?

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                      The only way a beret would affect your vision is if it fell off your head, slid down your face, then getting stuck on your sunglasses, resulting in a panicking close protection person fumbling with his beret, knocking off his sunglasses and being blinded by then intense sunshine, resulting in an over exaggerated story being told in the mess that night
                      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

And you have done Close protection Work in the DF?
                        do you need to do CP work to have peripheral vision???

and in answer to your question , no i have not, but i wear a beret and it doesnt interfere, i have worn sunglasses and they do interfere.......,
                        But there's no danger
                        It's a professional career
                        Though it could be arranged
                        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                        If you're out of luck you're out of work
                        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Headress, ceremonial, Close protection, service,

the whole thing is starting to get a bit anal and is detracting from the thread.

the guy is not there for his looks and deportment he is doing a job.

It his responsibilty to ensure he is properly turned out and tbh wearing a cherry berry in a operational area makes him a prime target so I reckon his reasons for not wearing it are beyond normal protocol.

As for wearing hedress in all situations there maybe a more relaxed atmsophere where he is and we have no right to be pedantic about things we know very little about.

Headress on ships is also a very relaxed affair so the wearing of headress at all time when in uniform is a mute point.

Can't see some guy in the Aer Corps stuck in an engine bay of an aircraft , doing his job worried about having his cap on.?

A fitter stuck under a truck in a pit of a garage wondering is beret straight.?

Who is going to bollock a Lt General about how he wears his beret ?

Nasher wears his more like his original corps headress and I reckon if he had the choice he would still wear it.

Get over it, the guys in the pictures are working at the job and as some one said 'arm chair keyboard professionals.'

needs must and all of that stuff.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            Headress, ceremonial, Close protection, service,

the whole thing is starting to get a bit anal and is detracting from the thread.

the guy is not there for his looks and deportment he is doing a job.

It his responsibilty to ensure he is properly turned out and tbh wearing a cherry berry in a operational area makes him a prime target so I reckon his reasons for not wearing it are beyond normal protocol.

As for wearing hedress in all situations there maybe a more relaxed atmsophere where he is and we have no right to be pedantic about things we know very little about.

Headress on ships is also a very relaxed affair so the wearing of headress at all time when in uniform is a mute point.

Can't see some guy in the Aer Corps stuck in an engine bay of an aircraft , doing his job worried about having his cap on.?

A fitter stuck under a truck in a pit of a garage wondering is beret straight.?

Nasher wears his more like his original corps headress and I reckon if he had the choice he would still wear it.

Get over it, the guys in the pictures are working at the job and as some one said 'arm chair keyboard professionals.'

needs must and all of that stuff.

If there was Rep Points, I'd give you some.

Very well said

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              Read a funny story recently on ARRSE. Prince Charles is Regimental Colonel of the Paras. Shortly after his appointment he appeared in a maroon beret that was rather unshaped. A Pte from the Paras wrote him a letter saying his beret was crap, so Charles sent him his beret, which he returned, properly shaped!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                                Read a funny story recently on ARRSE. Prince Charles is Regimental Colonel of the Paras. Shortly after his appointment he appeared in a maroon beret that was rather unshaped. A Pte from the Paras wrote him a letter saying his beret was crap, so Charles sent him his beret, which he returned, properly shaped!

Sounds like something you'd do
                                Theirs not to make reply,
                                Theirs not to reason why,
                                Theirs but to do and die:
                                Into the valley of Death
                                Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Working...
                                X