• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Allowance for PDF

C&AG Report for 2007.
    Chapter 11 of http://audgen.gov.ie/documents/annua...eport2007b.pdf

Conclusion

Conclusion
    Re-appraisal of special arrangements introduced to cope with emergency situations is essential once
    those situations no longer pertain. The Department is pursuing change through the partnership
    process. Change needs to take account of the interests of the taxpayer - that money should not be
    applied for services that are no longer required or where the environment or circumstances in which
    they are delivered have fundamentally altered.

It's up as a news item on rte.ie

[ BTW If anyone has a copy of the Towards 2016 agenda for DOD and the DF I'd appreciate it since apparently all sorts of things have been agreed; I found Stage 4 of the last agreement but not the new one ]
    Last edited by trellheim; 22 September 2008, 17:05.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

This is the document as far as I can see (it hasn't been agreed as such as it still has to be put to the different organisations involved). The Defence Forces, PDFORRA and RACO are not mentioned in the report?!

Comment

No that's the highlevel one. the detailed one for Partnership is the one I'm looking for.

Comment

Troops receive €25m Border duty bonus despite peace
        DEAGLÁN DE BRÉADÚN, Political Correspondent
        DEFENCE FORCES: ALMOST €25 MILLION has been paid to members of the Defence Forces as a Border duty allowance in the five-year period 2003-2007, despite the greatly changed security situation in Northern Ireland.
        The IRA has been on ceasefire since 1997 and since 2002 there have been no patrols, checkpoints, searches or requests for the disposal of explosive ordnance.
        However, the Border duty allowance continues to be paid - at a rate of €4.73 million in 2003, €4.62 million in 2004, €4.79 million in 2005, €5.47 million in 2006 and €5.38 million in 2007.
        The figures are contained in the 2007 annual report of the Comptroller Auditor General (CAG) published yesterday.
        Commenting, CAG John Buckley states: "I was concerned that this allowance continues to be paid while the justification for its introduction has long ceased."
        The Department of Defence originally requested the Department of Finance to introduce the allowance at the outbreak of the Troubles in late 1969 and the deterioration of the security situation.
        The Department of Defence argued then that the allowance was justified on the basis that:
        • the "arduous and responsible" nature of duties in Border areas involved service "far in excess" of normal hours;
        • the deployment of special units for lengthy tours of duty to Border areas caused a "good deal of disruption" to all ranks, especially married personnel;
        • the accommodation at Border posts "generally was old" and in some instances effectively sub-standard, and;
        • gardaí were eligible for overtime payments for carrying out common duties with military personnel in Border areas.
        The allowance was first paid on January 1st, 1972. The weekly rate in 2007 was €96.41 for enlisted personnel and €112.19 for officers.
        The CAG notes that "each year, however, significant numbers of personnel from Border units are paid the allowance while temporarily attached to other units for a variety of reasons, eg training. Soldiers may be paid the allowance for up to three months while on a course of instruction."
        He also notes that: "Six personnel from Baldonnel [the military aerodrome on the outskirts of Dublin] are in receipt of the allowance due to their redeployment from Finner Camp to Baldonnel after the Air Corps ceased search and rescue operations in the northwest. It was agreed in January 2002 as part of the settlement with the Representative Associations to continue to pay the allowance to these personnel on a personal basis."
        Mr Buckley lists data that, "in 1996, 13,156 patrols, 12,744 checkpoints, 43 searches and 31 explosive ordnance disposal requests were provided in the Border area. From 1998 onwards the number of such activities declined and none were undertaken in 2002 or subsequently."
        The report concludes: "Change needs to take account of the interests of the taxpayer - that money should not be applied for services that are no longer required or where the environment or circumstances in which they are delivered have fundamentally altered."
        The Department of Defence told the CAG that, "notwithstanding the improved security situation, Border units are obliged, as well as undertaking normal activities, to maintain their capability to respond to the impact of emergencies and contingencies on the Border."
        © 2008 The Irish Times

Comment

Oh Jeebus !

This could cause a lot of angst in 6, 27, 28 Inf Bns and 4 Cav Sqn !!!!
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            Oh Jeebus !

This could cause a lot of angst in 6, 27, 28 Inf Bns and 4 Cav Sqn !!!!
            Why would the 6th Bn get Border Allowance?

BA was originally paid out because it was a cheaper option than paying SDA to troops on the border. Good luck to the Department in convincing the lads to take a pay cut.
            sigpic
            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
            My favourite moment was when the
            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Because the C&AG report indicates the 6th are in receipt of the allowance if you read the PDF linky

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                Because the C&AG report indicates the 6th are in receipt of the allowance if you read the PDF linky
                I didn't read the link, but since the 6th Bn is based in Athlone, which is nowhere near the border, logic dictates (I know, I know) that they don't get BA.
                sigpic

Comment

Just had a quick read of the Dept of Defence part of that link which says that the 6th Bn is now based in Cavan thus entitling them to BA.

36 The Border Units are the 28th Infantry Battalion at Letterkenny, Lifford and Finner Camp; the 27th Infantry Battalion at Monaghan and Dundalk; the 4th Cavalry Squadron at Longford and the 6th Infantry Battalion at Cavan.
                  sigpic

Comment

which was my point.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                      which was my point.
                      Except of course the 6th Bn isn't based in Cavan.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                        Except of course the 6th Bn isn't based in Cavan.
                        tell that to the 6 Bn boys based in Cavan

HQ 6 BN is ofc ourse in Athlone
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

HQ 6 BN is ofc ourse in Athlone
                          The lads in Cavan can draw border allowance because they are based on the border. Just like you and I could if we were detached to Cavan for a while. That wouldn't mean that our units are in receipt of BA.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            Welcome back, Hog eile

Yes, that was my point, with the re-org, Dun Ui Neill became HQ of D (I think) Coy
                            6 Inf Bn.

Thus my presumption was that those folks would be getting Border Allowance
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Actually Cavan are A Coy 6th Bn(formally B and Hq Coy 29th Bn) and SP Coy 56th Bn RDF(formally D coy 8th Bn). Both ex Eastern Bde.
                              Lock and load

Comment

Working...
                              X