Army dodgy drivers like Cowan's driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    They take up the same space as many motorcycles, some of whom pay 60 odd euro a year in road tax.
    There is no road tax in Ireland.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
      Ah here, lets be real about it. Motorists pay tax on their vehicle, otherwise they're legally not allowed to use the road.

And sh!thead politicians want to make areas of the city centre (college green & surrounding area and all that jazz) pedestrianised because of the proportion of pedestrians to vehicles. I mean I'm sorry, even as a non-driver I think that's grossly unfair given that it's the motorists paying for the roads and not the pedestrians.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
      Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
      Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
      Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

FFS I cycle to work 4 days a week ; one other day I take the car because I go to the RDF after work and stick uniform and running gear in it and I don't usually get home till 2330.

I cycle defensively when I have to . If I'm in a bus lane there's normally badly designed drains and potholes close to the kerb so I'm in the centre of the lane a fair bit. If I have to hog the lane I will without any apologies.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Victor View Post
          There is a Road Fund Licence, whic is a tax, paid to local county councils, supposedly for the upkeep of the roads.
          What else would you call it?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            FFS I cycle to work 4 days a week ; one other day I take the car because I go to the RDF after work and stick uniform and running gear in it and I don't usually get home till 2330.

I cycle defensively when I have to . If I'm in a bus lane there's normally badly designed drains and potholes close to the kerb so I'm in the centre of the lane a fair bit. If I have to hog the lane I will without any apologies.
            i was talking to a sargent in the traffic corps a few week back about cyclists not using cycle lanes and using the road instead and he told me that if a accident happens like a car having to swerve to avoid them or the like.... they can be charged with causing the accident by not using the proper lane.... just like a car driver deciding to drive in the outside lane of a motorway at 80kph because he didnt like the proper lane because it was bumpy..... p.s. he also told me he has seen cyclists fined 1000 euro + for it......

Comment

I will admit that there are only a handful of safe cycle tracks in the country. Mostly in the Dublin area. Most are really poorly designed or ore over an unsuitable surface.

Considering Motor Tax does not go soley to the maintenance of roads and the build and maintence of roads draws funds from general taxes no one can claim the right to pay road tax!!!!!!!!!

Also no one group of road users is beyond reproach when it comes to following the regulations. It is too easy to blame the other group.

In relation to cyclists if they were paying directly a road tax, considering new motor tax system is based on carbon emissions how would one measure the out put of the cyclists. And would they then need to test drivers as well as vehicles????
              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

They aren't basing road tax for Motorcycles on carbon emissions.

Comment

They aren't basing road tax for Motorcycles on carbon emissions.
                  Did you miss the smiley at the end of my last sentance??
                  Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

you have a smilie at the end of everything you say.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                      i was talking to a sargent in the traffic corps a few week back about cyclists not using cycle lanes and using the road instead and he told me that if a accident happens like a car having to swerve to avoid them or the like.... they can be charged with causing the accident by not using the proper lane.... just like a car driver deciding to drive in the outside lane of a motorway at 80kph because he didnt like the proper lane because it was bumpy..... p.s. he also told me he has seen cyclists fined 1000 euro + for it......
                      And what about if the cyclist was conducting a dangerous maneouvre to get onto the cycle lane? Or if the cyclist had to make a turn at an intersection but the bike lane wouldn't allow it and instead continued a few hundred metres down the road?
                      "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

There is a Road Fund Licence, whic is a tax, paid to local county councils, supposedly for the upkeep of the roads.
                        What else would you call it?
                        There is no road fund in Ireland either.

There is Motor Tax that is paid into the Local Government Fund. And of course, there is many a cyclist who pays motor tax for whatever motorised vehicles they own.

Using private cars on College Green is a gross misuse of resources.
                        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

So is there or isn't there, and what is your point exactly? And why am I paying my local County council 600 quid for a circular piece of paper.
                          And what about the cyclist who doesnt own use or operate a car or other motorised vehicle?

Comment

And what about the cyclist who doesnt own use or operate a car or other motorised vehicle?
                            What about me? I'm a mountain-biker, I don't even need a road.
                            "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Working...
                            X