No announcement yet.

Army losing Steyrs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it not be a fruitless/stupid task for the soldier who would do such a thing? As when they draw their rifle, they sign it out, when it is discovered that there is one rifle missing, it can be found through a very simple process of "who last signed out for the rifle that is missing/replaced?" and that individual would then have the PA's knocking on the door with a few questions?
    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
      Would it not be a fruitless/stupid task for the soldier who would do such a thing? As when they draw their rifle, they sign it out, when it is discovered that there is one rifle missing, it can be found through a very simple process of "who last signed out for the rifle that is missing/replaced?" and that individual would then have the PA's knocking on the door with a few questions?
      Unless of course it happened at a shooting competition.............2 spare weapons left in the nissan................switched while everyone happily watched the compteition.................CQ in a hurry when they get back to bks and trusts the lads to put the weapons back properly.

Not saying it happened...............ever.................just nothing is impossible. Remember the time the GPMG went missing from Clancy?
      Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

It has been the case in Collins Barracks since 1994.

File in "lazy journalism" section.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I have to say those Steyrs look like toy guns to me. You could probably swap them for something you'd buy in Smyths.

The Lee Enfield .303 - now that was a proper man's rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by General Melchett View Post
            I have to say those Steyrs look like toy guns to me. You could probably swap them for something you'd buy in Smyths.

Which one?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

have to say those Steyrs look like toy guns to me. You could probably swap them for something you'd buy in Smyths.

The Lee Enfield .303 - now that was a proper man's rifle

First post and comes in under a topic which was done unto death in other threads.

Welcome General Melchet

'Proper mans rifle'.......now would that be rifles as belonging to 'proper men.'.or 'proper rifles' belong to men and then again what is a 'proper rifle' as opposed to an improper rifle?

Now do see you what you have started!
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                Which one?
                No 4 Mk 1 as far as I remember

(I'm a 1980s vintage sandbag as you might have worked out)

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

First post and comes in under a topic which was done unto death in other threads.
                sorry! off the cuff post - should have used the search function

Welcome General Melchet
                Thank you

'Proper mans rifle'.......now would that be rifles as belonging to 'proper men.'.or 'proper rifles' belong to men and then again what is a 'proper rifle' as opposed to an improper rifle?

Now do see you what you have started!
                Yes a proper rifle - it just looks so right. And the way it had a proper kick when you fired one. Whether the bloke firing it was proper or improper is another matter.

Comment

Then be sure to fill us in on your vast experience of being a proper man

Comment

Yes a proper rifle - it just looks so right. And the way it had a proper kick when you fired one. Whether the bloke firing it was proper or improper is another matter.
                    It was a good bit of kit - for slotting zulus while wearing a red tunic. While a lovely rifle, and I'd love to fire one, I wouldn't like to be on a modern 2 way range with one. It's time has passed. A couple of years ago someone posted a 1980s FCA recruitment brochure thing on IMO - it contained the rather amusing sight of a section armed with a GPMG and No4 rifles!

That said, there are allegedly loads of Taliban with SMLEs and No4s, with far longer range than a 5.56mm rifle! (But it's okay, a Javelin or .5 has much longer range than a SMLE.....)

Comment

Yeah used the .303 myself...but much prefer the steyr

Anyhoooo straight into the fray and pisstaking ....carry on ancient bag!

It was a good bit of kit - for slotting zulus while wearing a red tunic
                      That was the Martini Henry.. give him a brreak..he may be old ..but not that old.

That said, there are allegedly loads of Taliban with SMLEs and No4s, with far longer range than a 5.56mm rifle! (But it's okay, a Javelin or .5 has much longer range than a SMLE.....)
                      Yeah but the arms drill with the javelin or the .5 is a complete ****!
                      Last edited by hptmurphy; 12 October 2008, 04:13.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I hear the "present missile" with the javelin is a bitch alright, not to mention the "fix bayonets".....

Comment

Working...
                        X