Peltors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peltors

Infections of the Heart,Vertigo,meningitis, ulcers, carbuncles and boils. Want all these and more? Simply misuse the most basic bits of issued kit and they are all yours.
    The controversy surrounding the army deafness saga is well documented, and to some in the media and elsewhere, became the joke that the members of the defence forces were subjected to.
    Since then a strict policy of hearing protection has been enforced, with all members issued with what was in the past known as double hearing protection, consisting of inner ear plugs or inserts, and outer Peltor Ear muffs. The soldier, airman or seaman can take no practice involving the firing of weapons, unless adequate hearing protection is worn..And for that we are very grateful.
    However there are risks associated with the wearing of the inserts or ear plugs which I was unaware of until I read it in a monthly Motorcyclists magazine Ride which has become the benchmark for the proper testing of motorcyclists equipment. As Motorcyclists are also subjected to potentially damaging wind noise levels (over 85dB) they are encouraged to wear earplugs. What you do with the earplugs when not in use can have serious effects on your health and not just your hearing!

If you saw your pet chewing on an earplug, would you really feel like putting said plug in your ear again?
    Thought not. However RIDE’s discovered that a common riding practice is far more hazardous to our health than Rovers slobbering chops.

But how long should we use each pair and what, more importantly, is cadging a lift on your plug each time we insert it into your lughole? Ride contacted the experts to find out. Dr Trevor Cartledge is in charge of the microbiology department at the school of Science, Nottingham-Trent University. We sent him a sample of 5 earplugs to test.
    Sample one was a fresh packet. Sample two had been worn for one days riding, but in between uses the plugs had been slotted into the top vents of the testers lid.
    Sample three had been worn for two weeks for eight hours a night, with the plugs returned to a plastic container after use. Ditto sample four though the period of use was four weeks.
    Sample five was new, unused, earplug that had been used as a plaything variously by Geoff the cat and Leo the dog for several days.
    Each sample was swilled in distilled sterile water and then drops from each solution added to petri dishes of agar, a sugary and bacteria friendly jelly, and incubated for two to four days. They were all then tested for bacteria and fungal growth.

The results
    They’re stark, though somewhat surprising. The plugs that were stuffed in the helmet's vents produced more than 11 times as much bacteria than those played with by the pets.
    Dr Cartledge found 3 main bacterial forms grew from the plugs.
    The predominant colony was staphylococcus epidermis. This is common on the skin around the ears, nose and mouth where it lives happily. However it can cause some unpleasant infections if the skin is broken.
    Also found in large numbers were micrococcus luteus; a relatively benign bacteria commonly found on the skin.
    Not quite so chummy was the presence of staphylococcus aureus. This little charmer causes everything from boils and ear infections like the vertigo inducing [i]Labyrinthitis,[I], to blood poisoning,serious heart problems and meningitis.
    The control plugs came up clear.

Conclusion
    Rather than frightening you off using earplugs we’d just recommend you use them properly. We spoke to Mike Denton at Aearo the world’s biggest manufacturers of earplugs, for advice. He said: ”Most earplugs can be washed in soapy water and allowed to dry before re use. We’d recommend you always keep your earplugs in a closed container between uses – and definitely don’t use your Helmet as a substitute.”
    “You should wash the plugs periodically, drying them overnight. If you are using them daily, replace them after two to three weeks. Replace or clean the container when starting with new plugs.”
    “And you should never wet the earplugs before inserting them” adds Dr Cartledge.”The perfect environment for bacterial and fungal growth is somewhere warm and damp- don’t let your ears be their breeding ground”
    David Batchelor RIDE Magazine
    Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

The old E-A-R plugs used to come with a tidy green case. Has anyone received similar for the current batch? the plastic thing they come in is useless once its opened,much like a sachet of BBQ sauce you get at maccy d. From now on I'll be keeping mine in a used 35mm film carton..Not between the muffs of the Peltors.
    I know the instructions for use of ear plugs include the correct manner to insert them,is there any mention of how to care for them when not stuck in your ears?

Speaking of which,who here in the RDF has been issued with their own Peltors?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I hated those old E-A-R plugs - the yellow foamy things with the blue cord holding
      one plug to the other. Now THOSE held crap of all kinds. We were issued with an
      orange rubeery type of plug, the brand name I can't remember, originally in a
      plastic box, but since, I' ve only seen them in those plastic sachet type containers
      that Goldie refers to.
      With regards to care and cleaning, I can't say I recall seeing instructions on the
      packet as to how to clean, etc., I'll have a check tonight.

As for Peltors, initially, we got them on a pooled issue, when going to the
      ranges, which is against RDFRA recommendations, ands definitely against
      H&S guidelines, I' m sure.

As such, I bought myself a set of the Shotgunner Peltors, almost identical to
      the issue ones, except the muffs were inverted on the holders, i.e; the slim end which would fit under the helmet, was pointing downwards. I' ve since re-inverted
      same.

I' ve also since been issued with a personal set...
      Last edited by Truck Driver; 3 April 2004, 14:41.
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

No sign of them yet and i have 3 years done, none in the stores either just yellow and orange ones with half of the spongy bit missing.

Comment

Never got the green plastic box but iv seen it once belonged to an officer in my COY (and think Bn) we all get our own brand new peltors still in there box and unopened and one pair of the orange ones, well i got two my Q asked if i wanted them and iv learnt to take what i can get!
          Assurance is credable and to be credable you'v got to show you can do it!!

Comment

There are supposed to be hygenic covers to fit over the Peltors. However, I wouldn't put much faith in them, if you can get them, that is.

Comment

Although they say you should I never wear the ear plugs I only wear the peltors. For one reason my philosophy is

"when out and about the less objects you insert into yourself the less chance of infections."

also when doing a section/platoon attack where co-ordination is essential with double hearing protection on you can't hear a bloody thing. Maybe that means they're working, who's to know.
              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

For Category 1 weapons (generally small arms), if your hearing grade is H1, you only have to wear the Peltors, not double hearing protection!

Comment

Oh Good
                  I'LL SLEEP WELL TONIGHT
                  only joking thanks for the info
                  It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Wash the orange plugs after use. You should be issued with your own peltors. Never miss an opportunity to point this out to PDF staff and officers. Their reactions will be predictable but shit happens. Only issue equipment should be used on the range by the way.
                    sigpic
                    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                    My favourite moment was when the
                    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

I insist on using double protection. I've been using the same ear plugs for the past year and a half (and been to the range every time possible) nearly and they are in bits. I've been asking every time going to the range recently and they havent gotten any new ones to give me.

Also the thing with the Peltors seems that there arent enough to issue everyone so they only issue who turns up on range days.

Comment

New ear plugs are supposed to be issued annually and new peltors every three years (I think). Keep asking.:p
                        sigpic
                        Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Earplugs are issued as required. That's what the scale of issue says, if your plugs are damaged or dirty, then get a new pair. I know, I am constantly arguing with CQs over not bringing enough hearing protection to the range.

Comment

I believe ALL RDF members are required to wear Double protection regardless of their grade.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

That was the transitition rules before people got tested (still in force in some units as they couldn't be bothered up dating themselves)

Comment

Working...
                              X