Are Reserve N.C.O.'s doing there job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Reserve N.C.O.'s doing there job?

Hello all. It has been a good few years since I have posted here.
    I have noticed a few threads lately:
    eg.

1) how to bull boots.
    2) how to shape berets.
    3) length of No.1 trousers.

As a former sgt. in charge of recruits I made certain that within the first 2 weeks of a platoon being formed, they got a lecture on the above. Can anyone shed any light.

Yes,

You're reading what you want to see into the presence of threads on the internet.

I'd say a better question is are NCOs being given the training and support they need. Do you units have enough NCOs in the space between new and too old to care?

There needs to be a focus on further training of NCOs after the depot courses which are always too short, this will address morale issues among JNCO ranks which in turn will slow down the turnover somewhat, increase the experience base and keep units closer to strength.

It will not however rid the internet of muppets who don't listen to what they are told or ones who seem to take every opportunity to take a shot at others.

"Know yourself and seek self improvement"

If you are both so mega and concerned do something positive about it.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Whiskey states he is a former sgt. I don't think he is in a position to do anything positive about it any more.
      Yet another good NCO pushed aside, by the looks of it.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Are CS's doing their job ?

More importantly, from an NCO perspective, how many feel that their CS is doing his/her job to the best, and is their a common vacuum in Snr NCO development ?

Comment

More importantly, from an NCO perspective, how many feel that their CS is doing his/her job to the best, and is their a common vacuum in Snr NCO development ?
          Very interesting tangent. Fom experience 'no'.Given the time given to reach the rank the person holding the rank is usually out of contact with many training issues and while they may 'rubber stamp' training schedules etc, they rarely have actual input in to what is tarined and to who.

CS's are merely a funnel to either the top or the bottom of the chain of command often through no fault of their own.

The role of senior NCO within a unit often removes them from dealing with overall issues and relegates them to the post of senior clerk, taking parades, and signing off on things.

I know the platoon sergeant has obvious roles to play in the training role , but because there is often a sergeant reporting to an officer withing the training platoon the CS is often bypassed.

Given that most CS's have held the poition well before the re org how up to date are they with modern practices?

They should have a more active part in training but how do you upskill them and where do you fit them in within the recruit training chain of command?
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by whiskey6 View Post
            eg.

1) how to bull boots.
            2) how to shape berets.

As a former sgt. in charge of recruits I made certain that within the first 2 weeks of a platoon being formed, they got a lecture on the above. Can anyone shed any light.
            i never recieved a 'lesson' on the above, apart from a quick run through on how to shape ur beret

as for the CS issue, iv noticed that the good units are run by the CS.

Comment

My understanding is that the CS is the senior instructor in any unit, and he should be hands on in knowing what the NCO's are doing, and how they are doing it, and if they are not doing the job properly, then kick them in the arse.

A good CS is one who is feared and avoided by those not doing the job, and respected and admired by those who are.

Or maybe I'm just a bully?

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                Yes,

You're reading what you want to see into the presence of threads on the internet.

I'd say a better question is are NCOs being given the training and support they need. Do you units have enough NCOs in the space between new and too old to care?

There needs to be a focus on further training of NCOs after the depot courses which are always too short, this will address morale issues among JNCO ranks which in turn will slow down the turnover somewhat, increase the experience base and keep units closer to strength.

It will not however rid the internet of muppets who don't listen to what they are told or ones who seem to take every opportunity to take a shot at others.

"Know yourself and seek self improvement"

If you are both so mega and concerned do something positive about it.
                right on the money there,
                But there's no danger
                It's a professional career
                Though it could be arranged
                With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                If you're out of luck you're out of work
                We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Read the mans closing statement...'former sergeant' he is in no position to change things.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Are RDF NCOs doing there jobs? - In my experience those that are turning up are, unfortunately there are too many not turning up (putting pressure on the rest of us).

As regards to SNCOs? - In my experience they are good in the main. There is one major issue - they don't have the staff to do their job. In peacetime the SNCO is responsible for the morale/discipline/welfare etc of the troops (including JNCOs), training is the responsibility of the training platoon staff. The RDF SNCOs main responsibility in a barracks peacetime environment is to be responsible for & supervise the admin.

In my experience, most CSs are good but they have to make a choose do they do the admin or have an involvement in training. If they look after training, they have no time to get involved in the admin (that is there responsibility) and visa versa.

But the way, can anyone give me the reference of a text that deals with the responsibilities in a barracks environment (I know about TM201).

Comment

Originally posted by WilcoOut View Post
                      i never recieved a 'lesson' on the above, apart from a quick run through on how to shape ur beret

as for the CS issue, iv noticed that the good units are run by the CS.

All I can say that should never have happened,there was a deffo breakdown of N.C.O. practice.

As for GOLDIE FISH, I left for 1 reasons,

1] after 20 yrs. it was time to call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by whiskey6 View Post
                        eg.

1) how to bull boots.
                        2) how to shape berets.

Well 2 of those lecture are fairly irrelevant. Only if you are getting a No.1 uniform do you need to worry about 1 & 3 and that only officially happens after 18 months (if at all). Teach it to recruits and they will have forgotten it by the time they need it.... if they ever do.

Shaping berets, well that is because they are taught but never seem to get it right.

Comment

1) how to bull boots.
                          Magnums arn't bulled

2) how to shape berets.
                          Instruction is always given, otherwiseberets would look ridiculous. However, reservists tend to get shafted on sizes, so you could end up with an oddly fitting beret

Only 2* and above will get issued if they're lucky, so of course instruction is given

so my question is, what makes you think that NCOs arn't doing they're job?
                          Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Bubblewrap View Post
                            1) how to bull boots.
                            Magnums aren't bulled
                            I know this alright, but had some job saying it to a more senior rank than I
                            recently.

I know Apod was talking about this a while back, have you (or anyone else)
                            got a TI around the care of the lightweight operational boot ?

Or can quote the TI number so we can check it out on the next training night ?
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Steyr Fan View Post
                              A good CS is one who is feared and avoided by those not doing the job, and respected and admired by those who are.
                              couldnt be more on the money!

even those that are tryin to avoid him, the good CS will find em! you cant avoid the CS

in my unit, the CS is respected by the privates and recruits, mainly because nobody knows much bout him or even what he does yet hes a laughing stock amongst the senior NCO's who are holding the unit to ransom, stifling progression and their disgusting attitudes are refelcted throughout the unit.

please god, send me a good CS

Comment

Working...
                              X