X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

[MOD: Moved from Memorial thread]

Originally posted by Barry
    RDF have to go in individually to be issued their No1s, and often get the completely wrong size (or the stores don't have their size etc etc). I've seen some particularly bad examples of this in the past. People seem to think it should fit like a civvy suit, with no heed for the fact that you wear a belt with the tunic. PDF, on the other hand, would usually be lucky enough to have a friendly NCO nearby when they're being issued their No1s during recruit (or 2-3* as it is these days) training, to politely inform them of what size they should take.....
    Do the lads not get to see the tailor so they can get properly measured and fitted for their No. 1's before being issued them?

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
    Do the lads not get to see the tailor so they can get properly measured and fitted for their No. 1's before being issued them?
    Ha Ha Ha !!!! You're joking, aren't you... ???

When I got issued my current No.1's, I wanted the tunic tailored a bit.
    I went to ask the barrack rat who passes for a tailor in my location
    and the answer I got was " I don't do FCA uniforms..."

His loss - I gave the few bob to get it done to the tailor in the Military College
    instead....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
      " I don't do FCA uniforms..."

what an ignorant tosser

Comment

Hello all,
        The useless tailor is an essential part of every barracks.Just like the oul sweat retreads waiting to die and as immovable as a whitewashed rock.Our beaut didn't "do" apprentice uniforms, in my time, until an Officer "buin"-ed and ordered him, deliberately in front of witnesses, to attend to the apprentices. We often had to go to civilian tailors who dealt with DF personnel to get stuff, such as staybright buttons and even collar badges.Same ol, same ol.

I recall a series, a few years ago now, about British Paras in training. Very early on in their training, each man was brought to the tailors (note the plural)in the QM stores and measured properly, ie, by tape measure and not eyeball, and fitted for their uniforms.Slots were deliberately placed in the training schedule to ensure that each man was correctly fitted for all dress items.After all, the logic went, the man had to be fit to appear before his C in C, who was Prince Charles.So, ensuring that each man was correctly fitted into his uniform, as normal, was seen, and still is, as an essential part of his service and not just some kind of ill-prepared happy accident.Nor did it depend on the pressure of a Presidential parade, ie, a one-time event, to spur people to what they were supposed to be doing anyway.
        regards
        GttC

Comment

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

[MOD: Moved from Sam Browne thread]

Do Officers PDF or RDF have to get their uniform tailor made? Is there approved tailors listed in the private sector or does an army tailer make them? I assume that there is an approved pattern so that all uniforms are well uniform! Do cadets have to get No 1s tailor made or are they issued with uniforms like enlisted people?

Comment

There are approved Tailors for officers pattern uniforms. I think there are only two now.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

[MOD: edited to fit into new thread, other info copied to new thread]

Originally posted by Duffer View Post
              Do Officers PDF or RDF have to get their uniform tailor made? Is there approved tailors listed in the private sector or does an army tailer make them? I assume that there is an approved pattern so that all uniforms are well uniform! Do cadets have to get No 1s tailor made or are they issued with uniforms like enlisted people?
              Yes. I know of 5 tailors but most are only doing stuff for existing customers and won't take on new business. They have to be authorised by the DF - probably got to do with security etc. There is a uniform pattern, material, buttons etc etc.
              Cadet No1s are tailor made but not by any of the main army tailors. They are made (if I remember correctly) by John Roccas firm and are not to good in quality. Problem is that 30-40 cadets uniforms would normally take one of the tailors a year to complete since they are usually handmade. John Rocca can mass produce tailored uniforms very quickly (Cadets wear the Officers pattern with a few modifications). However, When Cadets are being commissioned, they get a new uniform tailored to a higher quality by one of the other tailors.

Comment

When do potential officers need to order their uniforms in order to have them ready for the commissioning?

Comment

Originally posted by glic View Post
                  When do potential officers need to order their uniforms in order to have them ready for the commissioning?
                  Depends on the tailor & time of year (very busy before Commissionings) but 6 weeks is a good estimate. 2 Fittings are usually required.

Comment

Tailor

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                    Depends on the tailor & time of year (very busy before Commissionings) but 6 weeks is a good estimate. 2 Fittings are usually required.

The best tailor of them all in Manor Street has finished making them. He made mine a perfect job I must say, he serves on in the RDF thank God.
                    OK Smith it’s Colonel Decker. I hate it when a plan comes together. You’re surrounded. I want you and Peck and Baracus, to throw out your weapons, all the ration packs you stole and come out with your hands up. You have fifteen seconds.

Comment

Working...
                    X