• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier loses weapon

Soldier to be disciplined after pistol goes missing
    By Tom Brady Security Editor
    Monday December 22 2008

A SOLDIER is to face disciplinary action as a result of losing his official weapon while on peacekeeping duty in Chad.

The Heckler and Koch 9mm pistol went missing while the soldier was on patrol while serving with the 97th infantry battalion in the African country.

It is one of four weapons to have been reported as either stolen or missing from the Defence Forces in the past four years.

The disappearance of the pistol took place last July but details of the incident did not emerge until the past few days.

A full military investigation was carried out and this led to disciplinary charges against a soldier.

All of the peacekeepers are issued with personal weapons and must be armed each time they leave the military compound.

Army sources said a lot of the soldiers kept their weapons with them at night and every peacekeeper was responsible for his or her firearm.

The other three incidents involved a Steyr rifle from a peacekeeper serving with the Kfor mission in Kosovo in March 2004, a Walther PPK 9mm from the United Nations mission in Liberia in September 2004 and a Steyr rifle, which was lost overboard at sea from the LE Aisling in July 2006.

An investigation was held into each of the incidents but none of the firearms has been recovered. The location of the rifle lost at sea is known but the weapon cannot be recovered.

Replicas

The Army pointed out that military personnel had access to thousands of firearms but none had either been unaccounted for, reported missing or stolen from stores within the State.

Last September the military authorities issued an instruction that all checks on firearms should be stringently carried out because of the number of replicas in circulation.

Senior officers were concerned that the replica Steyr rifles, which were described as remarkably similar, could be substituted in stocks to cover up the theft of the army's standard rifle.

However, checks at barracks around the country confirmed that no weapons were missing.

A Defence Forces spokesman said the instruction had been issued as a precaution.

A weekly check on all military weapons is carried out nationwide and additional audits under the eye of a commanding officer are completed on a monthly basis.

"We had no evidence or intelligence suggesting any attempt would be made to replace some of our stocks with replicas and merely took precautionary steps," a spokesperson said.

- Tom Brady Security Editor
    Go Mairidís Beo

Orignal link:

The Army pointed out that military personnel had access to thousands of firearms but none had either been unaccounted for, reported missing or stolen from stores within the State.
    That isn't true, wasn't a GPMG stolen and belived passed to the IRA? I remember reading something about the soldier who was blamed trying to clear his name.

9mm PPK?
    Last edited by Muzzle; 22 December 2008, 10:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzle View Post
      9mm PPK?
      It used to be (not sure if it still is) the personal weapon of generals (possibly colonels as well).

I remember reading about the GPMG going missing, the guy accused of it said that it had been thrown over the wall of the barracks, and he was looking for the government to release the serial numbers of weapons decommissioned/handed in by the IRA, to help clear his name.

Comment

What would the charge be in this case?
        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
          It used to be (not sure if it still is) the personal weapon of generals (possibly colonels as well).
          The intel boys I thought. Were ours not 7.65x17mm, the 9mm it came in are failry uncommon calibers (9x18mm and 9x17mm)?

Comment

Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
            What would the charge be in this case?
            I' m sure a glance through the Defence Act will yield several possibilities, LC...
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Orignal link:

That isn't true, wasn't a GPMG stolen and belived passed to the IRA? I remember reading something about the soldier who was blamed trying to clear his name.

9mm PPK?

the report actually said

It is one of four weapons to have been reported as either stolen or missing from the Defence Forces in the past four years.

the GPMG was stolen way way way before that mid 70's from what I recall

now say sorry
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

The Fact that all were lost overseas is actually a good sign. I can imagine the look on the poor individuals face when his rifle went into the drink though. You can see a sinking object descend for a very long time before its gone for good...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

All NS personnel to be issued water wings.....for their rifles.

Comment

and lets not even mention the .5 HMG

that went like my hair
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

You sold your hair?
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Orignal link:

[9mm PPK?

7.65mm is the calibre of the PPK. There was 1 kept in the unit stores stores when I served, for use by the Bde OC. The only time it ever came out of the box was for an ordnance check.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                          the report actually said

the GPMG was stolen way way way before that mid 70's from what I recall

now say sorry

Look at the bit that I quoted...

Comment

Air Corps pilots used to carry them on the Border until one of them accidentally shot himself in the leg, as Walthers are one of the few automatic pistols that, AFAIK, can be fired without cocking the slide first....there were also some FNs and equipment lost when a night camp became flooded in a rainstorm in Wicklow.
                            regards
                            GttC
                            Last edited by GoneToTheCanner; 23 December 2008, 00:20.

Comment

the gpmg was stolen from Clancy in the 70s from a "command stand to" duty.
                              There was also a BAP stolen from Dundalk that i think was recovered in a robbery.TUT tut

Comment

Working...
                              X