Army pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks......I only call it as I see it
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

More info on Direct entry positions in the NS can be found HERE :D

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

with regards to the salary scale, is that applied to a 5day roster week? or are weekends, barrack/stand to/24hour guard duties extras(overtime)?

or what way to rosters and duties break down financially and time wise

Comment

Originally posted by WilcoOut View Post
          with regards to the salary scale, is that applied to a 5day roster week? or are weekends, barrack/stand to/24hour guard duties extras(overtime)?

or what way to rosters and duties break down financially and time wise
          OVERTIME!! Are you mad? not only do you not get overtime, the working time act does not apply to the military so you can be made to work massively long work weeks for your standard wage.

Everything works on a 7 day week, and that includes leave. If you want to take 2 weeks off you are supposed to take 14 days leave, otherwise you could be detailed for duty on the weekends, unlike most civvi jobs where you take off 10 days i.e. Mon-Fri of the 2 weeks you want off
          CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by REX View Post
            OVERTIME!! Are you mad? not only do you not get overtime, the working time act does not apply to the military so you can be made to work massively long work weeks for your standard wage.

Everything works on a 7 day week, and that includes leave. If you want to take 2 weeks off you are supposed to take 14 days leave, otherwise you could be detailed for duty on the weekends, unlike most civvi jobs where you take off 10 days i.e. Mon-Fri of the 2 weeks you want off
            that sucks!

so 24 duties are included in your weekly wage?

how many can u expect to do?

Comment

that sucks!

so 24 duties are included in your weekly wage?

how many can u expect to do?
              No, duties aren't included in your weekly wage. You'll do all your duties each month, then if your Company Office does it's job properly you'll recieve all your duty money at once, usually the month after the duties have been done. Then again, you may have a shit Company Office and won't see the money for months.

If a Unit isn't too busy and has the numbers, you're looking at 2-3 a month. However, if the Unit has bodies Overseas, doing Portlaoise etc. you can get caught for a whole lot of duties.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                No, duties aren't included in your weekly wage. You'll do all your duties each month, then if your Company Office does it's job properly you'll recieve all your duty money at once, usually the month after the duties have been done. Then again, you may have a shit Company Office and won't see the money for months.

If a Unit isn't too busy and has the numbers, you're looking at 2-3 a month. However, if the Unit has bodies Overseas, doing Portlaoise etc. you can get caught for a whole lot of duties.
                so duty money is an extra on top of your wage? is it reasonable?

when u say 2-3 a month, will the duties be different or the same?

also, what financial extras exsist for soldiers over seas. is there a seperation allowance for families, duties money etc
                Last edited by WilcoOut; 7 December 2008, 20:29.

Comment

Have a look at the DOD website under pay & allowances. The amount of duties you do would depend on the unit & its other commitments in a particular month. Overseas there are 2 basis rates - one for armed and one for unarmed missions.

Comment

cheers dev, just had a look there. some of the allowances arnt bad, some are terrible! but id say it could prove worthwhile if a few were paid in conjunction with each other!

its one thing reading pay scales and entitlements on the net but it can be alot different in practice hence the reason im picking brains of people here who know the score.

how are you enlisted for class a and class c rates of pay?
                    and
                    what/when are DF holidays?

i would make the assumption that the DF is not a career to undertake if money is the only motivation. but id consider the DF more than a job

how do people feel about the financial side of things? also, how does the 7day roster effect family time?
                    Last edited by WilcoOut; 8 December 2008, 00:26.

Comment

ask the navy lads about the effect on family time

Comment

I personally find the duty pay to be good enough, it's a nice little bump to your payslip when it comes through.

I can't really comment on family time though, one of the older lads will be able to fill you in on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                          ask the navy lads about the effect on family time
                          Golden Rivet, we have discussed this before and the main thrust was "Did they not realise that they would be going to sea when they signed up?"

Comment

what/when are DF holidays?
                            There are 3 or 4 and are a bit like extra bank holidays. They include a day in July (I think) that is the National Day of Cemmoration.

also, how does the 7day roster effect family time?
                            Being a member of the PDF means you are ineffect on call 24/7/365 as leave can be cancelled with immediate effect if need be. However, unless you are cadre with an RDF unit in larger barracks you wouldn't be working too many weekends (but it depends on the units commitments at the time & your rank).

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                              I personally find the duty pay to be good enough, it's a nice little bump to your payslip when it comes through.

I can't really comment on family time though, one of the older lads will be able to fill you in on that one.
                              im seriously considering a career in the DF, have my eye on the next cadet comp.

just trying to get a picture of life within the DF that the glossy posters and info brochures dont tell ya.

dont plan on a family for a good while yet, but that day will come (if anyone will have me) so just trying to piece together the pros and cons!
                              Last edited by WilcoOut; 8 December 2008, 20:45.

Comment

cheers dev, just had a look there. some of the allowances arnt bad, some are terrible! but id say it could prove worthwhile if a few were paid in conjunction with each other!
                                Linky? Can't the relevant stuff on the DOD site at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X