RDF Unit Commanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF Unit Commanders

Just read the interview in An Cosantoir with D RDF where he mentioned the possibility of having RDF Unit Commanders.
    Would this mean more RDF Lt Cols or what? Will this result in RDF Officers in command of PDF Cadre or will the present cluster**** at Coy level simply to transferred to Bn level?
    Whats the general feeling about this?

Unit commanders in RDF units are Commandants. So no it wouldn't lead to extra Lt Cols for RDF. I do reckon there would be an issue with PDF Cadre taking orders from RDF Officers.

However, I think this is an aspiration rather than something that is actually planned.

Comment

Sub-Unit Comdrs are generally RDF Commandants, while PDF Comdrs of RDF units are also Commandants, but if the CO was a RDF Officer surely they would promote them to Lt Col to reflect their seniority. Still, what concerns me is the quality of some RDF Commandants and more importantly, how the Unit would be run without a PDF Officer in command.

Comment

there are plans afoot to create a acting lt col position within the RDF.
        Last edited by Big Al; 25 August 2003, 12:42.
        You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

I checked this out a bit more. He wasn't talking about unit commanders across the board being RDF i.e. Infantry Units and Artillary Units would still have a PDF unit commander. But I think some of the support companies such as medical, engineers and transport (or at least those who form part of the Logs base) would have RDF unit commanders. An engineer company while it is only company size is considered a unit while an infantry company is considered a sub-unit. Confused yet!

Comment

the stering group report calls for four of them 1 at each bde hq and 1 in DFTC, so i dont think that RDF commanders will be lt/cols
            You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

I would need to check the exact structure but I think the PDF officer will reside at LSB HQ, I would really need to read the article in an Cosantoir first to ensure I am talking about the same thing.

Comment

What is going to happen is that Engineers,Med Coy & MP Coys will be commanded by RDF COmdt and have a PDF Capt as Staff Officer.The Medics & Engineers will be quailfied Dr's and Engineers with degrees.The Infintry Coy and Arty Bty will be commanded by RDF Comdt but the Bn/Regt OC will be PDF Comdt.
                I hope this answers your questions.
                Also 4 X Lt Cols-- 1 per Bdge and one in DFTC.
                :flagwave:

Comment

4 Lt Cols is one per brigade and one for NSR, the first ever reserve Commander. The NSR units have always RDF officers i/c, they were set up under different legislation to the FCA. There is a staff officer and two group officers (PDF) that are i/c Cadre and it works quite well.

I think Goldie is very hard on the Cadre above, in general they (NSR) cadre are hardworking capable professionals that have been embittered by a them and us mentality that we always assume they foster - but if we took a step back we are just as guilty.

The Army Reserve should have RDF OC's but what the hell are the Army going to do with 150 commandants?

You could shut down officer training in the curragh for five years
                  No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
                  No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

Nah Vice Admiral I think you will find that the Slua and the FCA were set up under the same legislation. What we are talking about here is unit structure which isn't covered by legislation.

Comment

Methinks I smell a cluster**** approaching.

In fairness, with the best will in the world, is there any RDF officer out there (with the exception of former PDF officers) who could even begin to approach the level of competence of a PDF Officer of equal rank?

I don't think eight six weeks (assuming 2 each for NCOs, standards & 4 for officers cse) and annual training over even 20 years would be equivalent to 2 years followed by 15 years experience.

Sounding like a broken record at this stage, here I go again "What we need is equal training for PDF & RDF personnell. Better defence, cheaper defence, realistic defence option"
                      Take these men and women for your example.
                      Like them, remember that posterity can only
                      be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                      possession of those who have the
                      courage to defend it.
                      Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                      If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

I was wondering when this issue woudl raise it's ugly head, well spotted JAG.

I have to admit that for me, the RDF is now a part-time job, how many Comdt's do you think will be able to commit the amount of time required just to keep up with the paperwork. OK, OK, I know thats what the PDF cadre are there to help us with, but... any of you that spend time in Unit HQ, if the cadre are doing their jobs, you will see that they are FLAT OUT trying to keep on top of paperwork. Any RDF Comdt who takes up this position will in reality spend all of their time doing paperwork. Personally I can't see too many people having the time to give to the position.

Any suggestions on how you woudl get around this bearing in mind that we are trying to look after more and more admin issues ourselves and not having to rely on our PDF cadre quite so much.

Comment

Exactly Kermit, and I would challange his statement about RDF commanders not being up to the job. Some are not some are, the same way as some PDF are up to the job and some are not.

Comment

In answer to Vice Admirals statement on the Commander{Lt Col Navy} in Naval Reserve,I brought that up at a Board meeting as I was a member of the Implimtation Board and I was told there would be no Commanders as a Commander commands a Ship if I am correct.:flagwave:

Comment

Em, apart from only giving the rank of Cmdt to unemployed people there's no way to give "equal" training, although I accept this wasn't meant literally.
                              I am however concerned by the fact that promotion courses stop on commisioning, surely there is a need for further training for RDF officers before promotion ot captain and comdt even if it only consists of distance learning and a couple of TEWTs.
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                              X