RDF Unit Commanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Come-quickly
    I am however concerned by the fact that promotion courses stop on commisioning, surely there is a need for further training for RDF officers before promotion ot captain and comdt even if it only consists of distance learning and a couple of TEWTs.

Come-quickly, I'm shocked

You usually have good knowledge about the DF, but in this case I'm afraid your wrong. All officers are supposed (I'm careful about using that word) to complete a YOs Cse or Young Officers Course, this course is ment to offically train (by an official corps school as opposed to on-the-job training in the unit) the YO in the skills necessary to carry out any tasks up to and including that of Capt., yes a Capt. is still considered a YO, we found this out during shooting competitions.

For any rank above that the officer is supposed to complete a C and S Cse, Command and Staff Course, not too sure if this course complete is run for RDF officers, I do think they get snippets of the course, but I may be wrong.

Comment

Unless the army has changed very radically in the last month the YO's course is completed prior to commissioning, therfore my statement stands, also there is no C&S course in the reserves.
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Officers in RDF at Lt rank can be promoted to Capt without YO course I think it is Opsional

Comment

YO's Cse's are completed AFTER commissioning for a n Army cadet i.e. after they have been posted to their Unit.
          Live long and prosper!

Comment

In the RDF the YO's cse and commisioning cse are the same thing.
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly
              In the RDF the YO's cse and commisioning cse are the same thing.
              Eh... no, I'm commisioned and only after my commission roughly a year later was I eligable for a YOs Course, that YOs Course then trains me to perform the specific duties as an officer in my unit.

All an offciers course gives you is the generic infantry officers course, when this is finished the officer is trained in the specific roles and duties of his/her unit.

Originally posted by goc123
              [B]Officers in RDF at Lt rank can be promoted to Capt without YO course I think it is Opsional[B]
              Not in the Artillery anyway, until we have sat the YOs course we cant hold the position of CP Officer, GP Officer or OP Officer. I can't see how someone can rise to Capt. without spending time in each of these roles.

But I'm open to corrections

Comment

Er...No they are not. I know First Lieutenants and people recently promoted to Captain who completed a YO course in the last 2 years.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Well its news to me

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                    ......I know First Lieutenants and people recently promoted to Captain ........
                    First Lieutenants ?

Comment

as in not second lieutenants(cos cq might argue that as one pippes they were just comissioned....)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

CQ you don't know what you are talking about.

There is a regular YO's course for the Artillary Regiments. Artillary officers must complete this course to allow themselves to effectively do their jobs (and for promotion). There is also a standard officers course (did I get the name right?). This is also for Artillary only.

Technically there is a YO course for Infantry officers but this has not been run for many years (9 or 10 anyway), and if you were an infantry officer the chances are you haven't reached the rank of Captain yet.

I don't know the requirments for other Corps. Hopefully there will be more mandetory courses coming on stream in the future.

Comment

Well my not being in the artillery would explain my ignorance

Comment

I drove Bedford 4X4 in 1983/84 for Arty School YO's Course and there were Comdts on that one but it may have been one of the first ever!
                            I know Two Capts in Arty that never did a YO's Course.
                            They are guareented Capt no matter what after 14 years commissioned.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the YO course is done on commissioning, so that the 2/Lt can move on to Lt (think this is more common within Corps units, as Bravo 20 pointed out), a Std Officer Cse is done to suitably qualify the Lt for promotion to Capt (dunno if this is mandatory or not), and a Comd and Staff Cse to qualify the Capt for promotion to Cmdt and beyond.
                              Last edited by FMolloy; 5 July 2005, 09:00.
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The YO's course does not allow or prevent promotion between 2/Lt and Lt. In the corps unit it allows the officer to perform functions other than basic infantry/security, such as CP commander etc. pointed out above.

An CQ not being in the artillary is no excuse for a basic understanding of the promotions structure within your own unit.

:p

Comment

Working...
                                X